Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
Schwartzman blew far too many BPs in the first set and could've won it tbh. But Beck's usual erratic play towards the end meant he was never really troubled, fought off 5 break points at 3-0 in the third set with some good play, although Beck's decision making on the 4th was amusing. Schwartzman got pretty tight towards the end, got broken at 5-0 and was down 0-30 in the final game, but he got it done.

Beck was quite disappointing, spraying errors all over the place for most of this.

I really like Schwartzman.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Up to #108 or so in the rankings, watching him at Wimbledon would be hilarious :lol:
Schwartzman is actually a very solid grass player. Wouldn't be surprised if he made 3rd or 4th round.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Really, as long as I like Schwartzman's game, saying that he is possible to reach 3rd/4th round of Wimby is more than an exaggeration.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
No, because he has played no professional matches on grass. Please enlighten me about the matches you have seen.

It doesn't matter what surface he is on; he is currently not third- or fourth round material for a Grand Slam.

*Edited to add:

http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=100138765

All of his professional matches. Three hits for "grass"; all refer to Claudio Grassi.
If you've never seen him play on grass, then how can you determine that he can't reach R3/R4?! Based on his play style and physical characteristics, grass would be an ideal surface for the young Argentine.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
If you've never seen him play on grass, then how can you determine that he can't reach R3/R4?! Based on his play style and physical characteristics, grass would be an ideal surface for the young Argentine.
He has no serve, lacks power and is not a great net player. He should not do well on grass at all. And even if grass were one of his better surfaces, nothing in his results suggests that he could reach a third round of a Grand Slam.

Your logic is so crazily flawed. If you had seen him play on grass, maybe I could lend your comments some credence, but this is just bizarre reasoning.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
He has no serve, lacks power and is not a great net player. He should not do well on grass at all. And even if grass were one of his better surfaces, nothing in his results suggests that he could reach a third round of a Grand Slam.

Your logic is so crazily flawed. If you had seen him play on grass, maybe I could lend your comments some credence, but this is just bizarre reasoning.
Perhaps those factors you mentioned could prevent him from winning the title or reaching the finals, but that doesn't mean he can't make a decent run to at least R32.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

On the other hand, he hits flat and fast, is an agressive returner and it looks like he may have the suitable footwork for grass. He could do well or he could do badly. And it's surprising how long have you been following tennis and still think that you need power to perform on grass, when the current champion is Murray and lots of players with good timing and hand speed have outperformed heavy hitters on grass.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts