Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 74-year-old, a 12-time Major winner, believes Djokovic’s demeanour during matches threatens to undermine his success and has told him to challenge his rivals in terms of modesty – and not just titles.

“I would like to see him show a bit more humility like Nadal and Federer,” Emerson said. “There is too much of this chest thumping and roaring when he wins.

“I would like to see him emulate the pair when it comes to humility as well as Grand Slam wins.”
http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2011/10/novak-djokovic-humble-roy-emerson/

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Federer, modesty and humility in the same sentence :haha:

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
No I don't find anything wrong with chest pumping and fist-pumping. If it works for him to get hyped up then there's nothing wrong with it. I mean we need players to show some sort of emotion too, we don't want all of them to be robots doing the same things. It's nice to see someone like Federer not moving a nerve and then compared to Novak who gets pumped up. Also Nadal is more like Novak than Federer as in he shows a lot of emotion too.

·
Banned
10,825 Posts
He's obviously right about that OP quote, but wrong about the always in his last article quote.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
fuck class .....not everyone has to be a robot and fake ....even Novak is now faking when he wins over Nadal and Fed....It was a good match,he played great.....I would say screw him I kicked his ass so what

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
lol I like Djokovic. Even though the chest thumping and roaring may be seen as impolite and classless, I think it's kind of funny, and I honestly feel it's Djokovic's way of just expressing his hard work because people use to make fun of him and treat him like he's a "clown" or a guy that doesn't care about tennis because he retired a lot, but when he roars and pounds his chest, I think he's indicating that he DOES work very hard and wants people to appreciate him more, and stop making fun of him or viewing him as a lesser serious player.

But in reality, if you want to speak about classless behavior, did people not monitor Serena Williams and Federer? During the 2009 U.S. Open? Federer that night underestimated Del Potro. He didn't seem to practice or prepare as hard as he normally would, and when he entered that match, judging from the first two sets, he looked like he was taking Del Potro too easy. Then I think in the 4th set it was he dropped a couple F bombs on the umpire over one small event. What happened was Del Potro challenged late I think on some call, and won it, and Federer snapped. That, and Serena Williams making direct death threats to the Asian ball lady, IMHO, were more classless than Djokovic's proud behavior.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
But as a Federer fan, I appreciate the fact, that Federer, did not call the umpire or Del Potro a derogatory name or label. Which was something Fish did to Tsonga in their match. He could have shown attitude if he was frustrated by raising his voice or complain like most tennis players do when they confront their opponents, but call Tsonga a name wasn't right.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Federer, modesty and humility in the same sentence :haha:
Well, even leaving out the SES Award, the number of players who have talked about the modesty and humility of Fed for years all the way up to today, they probably have a more reliable opinion than a posters on a tennis message board :lol:

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
fuck class .....not everyone has to be a robot and fake ....even Novak is now faking when he wins over Nadal and Fed....It was a good match,he played great.....I would say screw him I kicked his ass so what
No class is a good thing to have, but I think today's definition of class has become too politcally correct. IMO fist pumping is not a sign of a lack class, however if someone was to say: 'ZOMG I PISSED OVER MY OPPONENT TODAY, HE WAS SHIT OMG LOLOLOL', that would be a lack of class.

·
Banned
6,118 Posts
Emerson is right.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Djok's celebrations are no different to Rafa's fist/knee pump combo, Fed's emotion etc...
Thank you! There may be issue with Djokovic but I don't see the celebration as different than Rafa's "Vamos!" and the fist pump.

I'd wonder what Emerson thought about Hewitt when he was at the top of the game - now that was a #1 who could drive fans up the wall with the celebration. I'm sure Emerson would come off as a hypocrite.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts
Djok's celebrations are no different to Rafa's fist/knee pump combo, Fed's emotion etc...
Exactly.
What a clown this Emerson. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE LEGENDS BASHING THE TOP 3 YOU MIGHT AS WELL BASH THE WHOLE ATP TOUR FOR THE MOST BELITTERATE THINGS, LIKE REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! JUS BECAUSE SOMEONE CELEBRATES THE FACT THAT THEY WON AGAINST THE OPPONENT DOESNT MEAN THAT ITS WRONG, FOR ONE THING I DONT MIND THE CELEBRATING AFTER EACH POINT, I RESPECT THE PLAYERS FOR THEIR HEART, FIRE, STAMINA, SPEED, DETERMINATION AND THEIR WILLINESS TO BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD, WE SHOULD APPRECIATE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO TENNIS, LOOK AT ALL OF THESE FANS COMING TO THE TENNIS TOURNAMENTS, ENJOYING THE DRAMA AND THE ENTERNTAINMENT THAT THE PLAYERS PROVIDE, I AM A VERY VERY PROUD TENNIS FAN AND I WILL BE FOREVER, THE FACT THAT THIS SPORT HAS IMPROVED DRAMATICALLY EVERY SINGLE YEAR IS JUS AN AMAZING HONOR, AND I FOR ONE LOVE THIS SPORT MORE THAN YEARS AGO, AND THE PLAYERS LOVE TO PLEASE AND GIVE THEIR FANS A GREAT SHOW, I LOVE THE MOMENT THE INTENSITY AND HIGH STAKES AND ALL OF THE EMOTIONS THAT LET INTO EVERY POINT AND EVERY FEELING THAT WE GET........SO PLEASE ENOUGH WITH THE "SO-CALLED" LEGEND BASHING AT THE OTHER PLAYERS FOR THEIR PASSION AND SPIRIT, IM SURE THEIR MORE JEALOUS AND INCONSITERATE AND ENVY THAN OTHERS, AND THEY CALLED THEMSELVES LEGENDS:rolleyes:, THE WAY THEY BASH AT THE OTHER PLAYERS MAKES ME SICK BUT YET MAKES ME ROTFLMFAOCOL:superlol:

1 - 20 of 302 Posts