Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how you all feel about certain age gaps. My friend, who is my age, has recently told me he is dating an 18 year old girl :eek: Personally I think this is creepy as hell and it's making me question our friendship. Am I being too harsh or am I right?

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Just do what makes you happy

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I was just wondering how you all feel about certain age gaps. My friend, who is my age, has recently told me he is dating an 18 year old girl :eek: Personally I think this is creepy as hell and it's making me question our friendship. Am I being too harsh or am I right?
Depends on how old your friend is. I personally go for (n/2)+7 where n=your age.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend is 39 like me.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The acceptable age gap is the one where both the parties are of legal age, all the rest is moralistic, arbitrary, puritanism.

To OP if you question your friends choices considering he isn't doing anything illegal i'd suggest to break the friendship since i'd surely wouldn't like a friend who'd judge and find me creepy for no apparent reason except some beliefs he may hold, sure you can't approve of his choices but i'm sure he wouldn't approve of some of yours too right?

All in all friendships aren't perfect and we can't all have the same point of view on different subjects, in that case dating.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
If I was 18, I would NEVER date a 39 years old woman.
18 years old is still immature with almost 0 life experience, compared to a 38 years old.

Anyway, if she really likes him, who cares about the age.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Half your age + 7 usually applies

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
The acceptable age gap is the one where both the parties are of legal age, all the rest is moralistic, arbitrary, puritanism.

To OP if you question your friends choices considering he isn't doing anything illegal i'd suggest to break the friendship since i'd surely wouldn't like a friend who'd judge and find me creepy for no apparent reason except some beliefs he may hold, sure you can't approve of his choices but i'm sure he wouldn't approve of some of yours too right?

All in all friendships aren't perfect and we can't all have the same point of view on different subjects, in that case dating.
So the law isn't arbitrary? Or even influenced by morality?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
it is creepy. also considering your forum image, i'd rather expected you to high five him or smth lol :D

But yeah, that's BS normally, it looks kinda desperate and irresponsible.

we all fantasize about these ladies, but for a one time stand, not for actual GFs :rolleyes: (i know it's hypocritical, but let's be real)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Illusive Man said:
So the law isn't arbitrary? Or even influenced by morality?
Yes it is but morals is something entirely subjective, not every one can share the same values, the common denominator in which citizens should abide is law, nothing else, in OP case that is definitely the case so i don't see any problem with it myself and even if i didn't approve(And i do of most things which are legal)i would accept his choice cause since he's my friend i'd want the best of him.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's tough for me because we have been good friends for years. I don't want to lose that but I do find it bizarre. I would never date a girl so young. I know she is legal but still...

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
It's tough for me because we have been good friends for years. I don't want to lose that but I do find it bizarre. I would never date a girl so young. I know she is legal but still...
I see what you mean, but that's his problem for now. My utterly uninformed guess is that it will not last, and you shouldn't do or say anything you'll regret until you see something that unambiguously crosses your moral line.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not like I think it makes him a bad person, after all she is two years over the age of consent. But I do find it a bit odd. 18 is just so young!

·
Registered
822 Posts
OP how does the girl's in question age affect you in any way exactly, is it the fact that a 20 year age gap isn't common so it deviates from what we mostly see on the streets where most couples have less of an age difference?

Why do you assume that if you wouldn't date one it means the same would be for others?

Maybe instead of age you should focus if this girl is a good person, trustful and cares about your friends feelings instead of the date of her birth.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Maybe instead of age you should focus if this girl is a good person, trustful and cares about your friends feelings instead of the date of her birth.
The girl shouldn't be in focus at all, she probably barely knows what she's doing. Otoh, a 40 yr old bloke knows fully well what he's doing, and that's the creepy part here.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
hmm, I don't know about you all, but I certainly knew what I was doing as I approached 18.
I was working, paying rent for a flat. At 18, I would be subject to military draft.

Age is just a number. I've seen many successful May-December relationship/marriages.
I've also seen disasters. Really depends on the people and motives involved.

Some are just looking for fun or different perspective. Some young women are more comfortable with an older man that is more established and mature than some of the clowns closer to her age.

Shouldn't be laws or public contempt really in age gaps.
Everyone should mind their own business, unless something very bad (illegal, forced, etc.) is happening.

Respectfully,
masterclas

1 - 20 of 49 Posts