Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Agassi to skip Cincinnati, will rest before U.S. Open

August 9, 2003

MONTREAL (Ticker) - Upset on Friday night in the quarterfinals of the Tennis Masters Montreal, world No. 3 Andre Agassi announced he will take two weeks off before the U.S. Open.

Agassi was ousted in three sets by eighth-seeded German Rainer Schuettler, who avenged a straight-sets thumping in the final of the Australian Open.

"I won't be playing in Cincinnati," Agassi said of next week's Tennis Masters Series event. "I've had enough matches. I'll spend a couple of weeks getting ready for the Open and roll the dice."

There had been talk that Agassi is nursing a hip injury, but he shrugged off any physical concerns, saying of Schuettler, "He outplayed me from the baseline. I got caught flat-footed a few times."

The 33-year-old Las Vegas native won four of his first five tournaments this year, including the Australian Open for his eighth career Grand Slam. But he has not won a title since the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships at the end of April.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That stinks because my family was hoping to see him there when we go on Tuesday!

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Well I may be in danger of upsetting a lot of Agassi fans out there, but I think that is so totally disgusting, - has the man got no respect for the fans who pay his wages? He has done the same in TMS Hamburg (twice), and in the Masters Cup last year when he realised he could not make it to the Number One position, and I think it shows such a totally selfish attitude. Yes of course he is tired I'm not disputing that, but definately NOT as tired as a fan who has work 40 hours a week in a factory or something and has saved to buy tickets to watch him play because he is their favourite player, - especially as Cincinnati is his home country tournament. Sorry for the rant, but I get angry everytime he does this, and this time I just HAD to say something!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Didn't he just skipp the Monte Carlo Masters as well ?

He pulled out of Indian Wells cause of his shoulder problems but for his Monte Carlo withdrawal he did not give a reason, did he ?

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Yes Aleta you are right, - I was actually in Monte Carlo this year and I now remember that Agassi wasn't there, - don't think he played there in 2002 either!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
we must remember his age, 33 years and still belong to the top 5 of the world, that meens something. I can imagine, he wants to rest between some tournements, he is only playing the big ones, where the field is strong. How old was he when he began to play 16 or 17? that meens more than 16 years on the circuit. I have a lot of admiration for that man, who has to listen to his body, which isn't young for top sport, he is taking his responsability for himself , for his game and for his fans. He just doesn't want to risque a serious injury , and that is good for his fans, so he can play for 100% when he is on the court.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I think Agassi did the right thing...He started out the year so strong (like 2 losses before Hamburg) and now he's having these bad losses...

I think he has been lax on his fitness and needs to run those hill is LV...

You guys in Cincinnati don't worry, you have an incredibly strong field and Agassi won't be No. 1 when the tourney starts so relax...

You can always come East to New York in 2 weeks ;)

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
he pulled out cos he was gonna get his ass kicked yet again by Enqvist

bet he would have played if he got a piss draw like last week

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Enqvist had a shoulder op after US Open last yr and isn't the same, now confidence is low
he still beat Andre in Scottsdale though this yr

yes he was jr #1 in 1991
highest rank #4 back in 1999

he's had more ops/injuries you can think off
only Krajicek beats him in that dept.

Enqvist just hits big and flat all time,
he's still won about 19 titles, some TMS
and indoors he was awesome.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Re: Re: Agassi to skip Cincinnati, will rest before U.S. Open

Thomas ENQVIST (SWE) v Andre AGASSI (USA)

1993 U.S. Open Hard (O) 128 Thomas ENQVIST 6-4 6-4 3-6 6-7 6-2
1995 Philadelphia Carpet (I) SF Thomas ENQVIST 7-6 5-7 6-2
1995 Indian Wells Hard (O) 16 Andre AGASSI 1-6 3-6
1995 Cincinnati Hard (O) SF Andre AGASSI 4-6 2-6
1998 Munich Clay (O) FR Thomas ENQVIST 6-7 7-6 6-3
1999 Stuttgart Indoor Hard (I) SF Thomas ENQVIST 6-3 4-6 6-0
2002 Cincinnati Hard (O) 16 Andre AGASSI 4-6 5-7
2002 Washington Hard (O) QF Andre AGASSI 7-6(8) 6-7(5) 3-6
2003 Scottsdale Hard (O) 32 Thomas ENQVIST 6-7(6) 6-4 6-1

Thomas ENQVIST (SWE) leads 5 : 4

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Too bad that he has to play all these qualifiers (and lost in qualies at Montreal). Nice that Mrs. Guga got a pix with him in DC (guess it's good to be a qualifier from a fan's perspective ;))

Anyway, Wertheim said Enqvist never lived up to expectations and just plays for the money :eek:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Rosie said:
Well I may be in danger of upsetting a lot of Agassi fans out there, but I think that is so totally disgusting, - has the man got no respect for the fans who pay his wages? He has done the same in TMS Hamburg (twice), and in the Masters Cup last year when he realised he could not make it to the Number One position, and I think it shows such a totally selfish attitude. Yes of course he is tired I'm not disputing that, but definately NOT as tired as a fan who has work 40 hours a week in a factory or something and has saved to buy tickets to watch him play because he is their favourite player, - especially as Cincinnati is his home country tournament. Sorry for the rant, but I get angry everytime he does this, and this time I just HAD to say something!
He is 33, you cant expect him to play week in week out and get injured or burn himself out like Coria does. I would just feel sorry for the person who only buys tickets to see one player, and is not able to appreciate other great players who play there.

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
He should look forward to what is best for himself physically and for his own career...not doing things just to please fans.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, Agassi has been getting tired a lot lately. Coria wore him out at the French, and he looked weary last night (mentally, for sure). He hasn't even been in a final this summer and is already worn down. His age is definitely showing.

I wonder how he did so well in Australia, where it's so hot? Of course, he didn't face anyone tough and thus was never in a physical battle.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
he looks out of shape a bit. i mean he was flat at the beginning of all of his matches and made errors and did not run down shots. his serve looked attackable also. so he was tired and maybe sore. normally I criticize Andre for pulling out for no good reason but he is clearly tired and a bit injured and is older so he should rest. He also had a very tough draw in cincy. no reason for him to go down there and play if he is injured and worn out.

anyway I am glad Rainer got a win over him and good luck against David.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
In reply to Experimentee - yes I know what you mean about people who only buy tickets for one specific player, but I realise that not everyone is fortunate enough to travel all over the world for tennis like I can, and many people (especially kids) can perhaps afford only one tournament near their home and particularly want to see their "hero" play. And as for the injury/"burn out" thing, Agassi has had more "injuries" this year than Coria, and it might interest you to know that Coria has also played in a lot fewer tournaments than many other players in the Top 20 so to accuse him of playing too much and getting "burn out" is a little unfair! Agassi is a great and talented player, - I would never deny that, but having observed him at various tournaments over several years all over the world, I sometimes think his attitide to fans leaves a lot to be desired

·
Registered
420 Posts
Rosie, I totally understand your rant, and would be frustrated as well if I were a Cincinnatti fan of his... said that, Agassi is smart enough to realize that, at this point of his career, he cannot afford to play consecutive weeks without risking injury or falling flat and tired before any Grand Slam, his ultimate goal... I just have an issue with the ATP accepting his word with ease, without even a hint of any fines... This ATP lenient attitute towards Agassi has already hurt its position when the Tour went after then number 1 player, Lleyton Hewitt, in 2002... After Hewitt announced he was gonna play a limited schedule outside the Slams, the Tour had little leverage to enforce his presence in smaller tournaments, how could they if Agassi was withdrawing from Master Series without a hint of injury?

When the ATP decided to fine Agassi when he once again withdrew from Hamburg few days before play started, Agassi's outrage and eloquent skills showed the Tour that they have less control over players than they initially thought or desired...

Agassi's vision is set on the USOpen right now... that's the biggest trophy left for a player who has accomplished almost everything and care little for whatever money, fame and other perks are still up for grabs... for that purpose, his calculated move of withdrawing Cincinnatti is the right one... and for the ATP, it's another stab at their power position...

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Re: Re: Agassi to skip Cincinnati, will rest before U.S. Open

jenglisbe said:
Well, Agassi has been getting tired a lot lately. Coria wore him out at the French, and he looked weary last night (mentally, for sure). He hasn't even been in a final this summer and is already worn down. His age is definitely showing.

I wonder how he did so well in Australia, where it's so hot? Of course, he didn't face anyone tough and thus was never in a physical battle.
Because it was at the beginning of the season and he was rested after a two-month break.

Rosie, do you really expect a 33-year old man to play a full schedule? Come on, be realistic and understanding. This is a smart move for Agassi. Like Eggy said, why would he travel to Cincy just to lose in the first round to his arch-nemesis?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts