Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Yes Cinci is an American event and he would have played that.

only if Steffi was in labour would he have withdrawn

he got fined $40K,

thats nothing, should have taken 50% of his ranking points away as its not the 1st time he has done it in 2002

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I totally agree with you, Eggy! I think you should be the man who runs the ATP! :D

But Eggy, since the advent of ATP World, the WTA World's Russian Roulette forum has slowed down to a crawl. And that makes me very unhappy! :(

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I heard he got a 80K fine because he did that already before (Hamburg this year). Is that right??? :confused:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Article from Yahoo!

Agassi fined $80,000 for withdrawing from Toronto tournament

July 29, 2002

TORONTO (AP) -- Andre Agassi was fined $80,000 by the ATP Tour for his late withdrawal from a Tennis Masters Series tournament that opened Monday.

The penalty is twice what it otherwise would be because it's Agassi's second late pullout this year. He was fined $40,000 for skipping a Tennis Masters Series event in Hamburg, Germany, in May.

Agassi said Sunday he wouldn't play in the Toronto tournament, citing a lower back and hip injury. He showed no signs of being hurt while beating Jan-Michael Gambill 6-2, 6-4 Sunday in the final of the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles.

Agassi won $51,500 for winning that tournament.

He would have been seeded seventh in the Toronto event and was scheduled to play wild-card entry Daniel Nestor of Canada in the first round Tuesday.

"He's looking at himself and the U.S. Open,'' Nestor said. "Obviously, he just wants to be ready for that. This tournament doesn't fit into his plans.''

Yeah, I'm sure Nestor is broken up about it. Now he has a chance to get to the second round! ;)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
LOL @ Becca! :p You mean Andre can take his ball and go home if he wants to? :confused: Well, I guess that's what he did. But commitment, integrity and honesty should play a role in there somewhere. But it didn't.

And Becca, I guess it isn't okay for him to say "forget about it" to Canada. Otherwise the ATP wouldn't have acted so swiftly to fine him. You can bet the ATP is embarrassed at another tournament tank job by Agassi, just because he didn't want to go to Toronto at the last minute. Let's see, Agassi wouldn't have played until Wednesday. Tuesday at the earliest. But that's asking alot of a rich tennis player to take his private jet from Los Angeles on Sunday to Toronto by early Monday morning at the latest, and be ready to play by Wednesday! ;)

The bottom line is this: Agassi is making a mockery of the ATP and the tournament directors who count on him to sell the tickets and fulfill his committments! :mad: Unfortunately Andre doesn't always fulfill his committments. And tennis fans lose out when he doesn't. But what can the ATP do about this? Not much. :(

·
Registered
28,278 Posts
Ferrero played a 5 set final sunday, lost, and still show up to play tomorrow.

Agassi would have played Tuesday I think, but I'm not sure.

Wed. is second round, so no later that Tues.

The point is, I'd rather put my energy into the guy who showed up, and not the one who didnt.

Lots of people wanted to see him, and an dissapointed, but what can you do.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
He was scared because it is a much tougher field.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Christina do you know how much Andre got as an appearance fee or are you just guessing? :confused:

Egg i think it's unfair to say that Andre would play the American tourny and ignore the non-American. this is the same Andre who bailed out in the first round of Atlanta last year for crying out flipping loud. i don't think that Andre is so pro-American that it makes a diff. he needs the rest. he's getting old. and his new pattern seems to be to take the week off after a win.

but my open question is: how come he was fined and Lleyton wasn't? :confused: and if he brings in a medical, does the fine stand?

and did Roddick ever have to pay that $20,000. late withdrawal fee from earlier this year?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boy, there sure are a lot of Agassi haters around here, huh? :(
Now, I'm not saying Andre's a saint and has never done this sort of thing before, 'cause he has. But in the last couple of years he's
done it sort of for "preventative maintainance", I think. Look at the facts: Andre's 32 years old. He just won 5 matches over a period of 6 days. Sure, a player like JCF can play in a final and be fresh enough to play in another tournament 2 days later. HELLO-
JCF is only 10 years younger than Andre! In fact, Andre DID play
in both the LA and Canadian tourneys last year--he won LA and
then went to Montreal where he played terribly and lost to Ivan L.
Maybe, just maybe, this is the reason Andre bowed out of this tourney--he knows he doesn't have the freshness anymore to play well in back to back tournaments. And I don't notice people
villifying Alex Corretja, who did basically the same thing--won a
tournament and then pulled out of the next. He was supposedly
injured as well, but that didn't keep him from winning on Sunday,
did it? Both Andre and Alex are trying to stay fit for the last slam of the year, I think. I just wish some posters would give Andre the benefit of the doubt, instead of condemning him.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Andre has a habit of always withdrawing

Atlanta doesn't really matter thats a mickey mouse event

I guess he didn't want the Canadian stamp in his passport incase the immigration officials looked at him funny :D
yes he does...and it sucks, and i have no problem with the fine...

yes it is...but the size of the event is irrelevant...

no, the real reason is that Steffi told him that she couldn't handle him saying "ey?". next thing you know, Jaden would be saying it too. what with his mohawk and all...;) ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anne K: How right you are. Andre knows that at 32 he has to pace himself. JCF is much younger & Corretja who played against him also withdrew but he's not getting any flack.
Feel that to keep as much at the top as possible it is difficult for AA to play 2 tourneys in a row when he wins the 1st one. When Connors was playing v. few in his 30's no-one criticised him, they just how great it was he kept on playing when all his contemporaries had retired.
Would people prefer it if he did a chang played loads of t'ments & got knocked out in the 1st or 2nd rd. This way he can give his best when he does play.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When Connors was playing v. few in his 30's no-one criticised him, they just how great it was he kept on playing when all his contemporaries had retired.
I think a reason why andre doesn't get that much space in this from some is that he also did this when he was considered a young chicken :D
andre always went his own ways and not everybody appreciated that! :D

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.