Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from bbc.co.uk:

Andre Agassi has pulled out of the ATP Canadian Masters due to a lower back and right hip injury.

Agassi made the announcement just hours after his 6-2 6-4 win over Jan- Michael Gambill at the Mercedes-Benz Cup - his fourth title of the season.

Agassi said: "I have had success at the events in Canada before and I regret not being able to take part this year."

·
Banned
3,273 Posts
So who will replace Agassi's spot as #17 seed in the draw?Pavel or El Aynaoui?

I hope it's Pavel,so Guga's draw will be easier ;) .

also Alex Corretja withdrew :( :sad:

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Younes El Ayanoui should become the 17th seed

Andre would have played if this was Cincinatti you can be assured off

Feel sorry for Andre ....... never in a million years
he has Steffi :p

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Andre keeps doing that. :rolleyes: He pulled out of Hamburg as well, after winning Rome. I guess he doesn't feel the need to play many tournaments, because he keeps winning those he does enter. Whatever, Andre.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i agree Layla except that i think that it's bec he's won Toronto before (as he had won Hamburg before but not Rome),so he's less motivated to go thru the grind of playing there when he can just rest up for the week and stay with his wife and son. i think too that Andre is trying to be smart about his age and his schedule. at 32, it's time to be honest about the fact that he's no youngster and he has to cut back on the playing and shoot for a more intelligent schedule. there's a lot of Brad's influence left in him. i can live with that.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i'm not making excuses for him Magnus. i'm just saying that the guy is getting old and this may be why he did it. he could have done like the Potato and called in a strange virus or a stomach ailment or an diagnosed respiratory problem...or...but he didn't. he just said he's not playing. that's what he said after Rome too. i like the honesty myself.

what this means as a fan as is that's hard to rely on Agassi's appearance at a tourny. that is what sucks.

hey Egg, why do you think he would have shown up in Cincy?

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you tennischick. He does need to be smart about it and protect his health. But this is his second Masters, and they're compulsory. Wouldn't he rather cut down on regular tourneys? Masters bring more points and more attention. :confused:

p.s. His fans should be happy he's still playing and winning at 32. :eek:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
What tennischick says makes sense. But he had won LA before too, so... Maybe he should play the big ones and sit for the small ones... Oh well.

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
Get well Andre :) :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe he has realised that he can't play 3 weeks in a row. I am sure he will be fit and healthy next week for Cincy.

And I bet the appearance money in LA is WAY more than the prizemoney in Toronto - or why should he bother about this little LA tournament??

·
Registered
22,537 Posts
Agassi fined $40,000 for late withdrawal

TORONTO (Reuters) - Andre Agassi has been fined $40,000 by the ATP Tour for his late withdrawal from the Canada Tennis Masters due to injury.

Citing a lower back and hip injury, seventh seed Agassi informed Tennis Canada officials late Sunday evening that he would not be playing

Just hours earlier he had collected his fourth title of the season with 6-2 6-4 win over Jan-Michael Gambill at the Mercedes-Benz Cup.

Agassi, a three-time winner of the Canada Masters, earned $51,000 for his victory but will only net $11,000 after the fine.

Lucky loser Kristian Pless of Denmark takes the 32-year-old American's place in the draw.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If Agassi is so injured ;) how can he lose only 6 games in a final? :confused: I'm getting tired of his act! :mad:

What TC, no one else on the tour has kids? Andrei Pavel plays everywhere. And he has 2 children. It's time for the ATP to start suspending players for continually pulling out tournaments they are commited to. Andre's injuries are obviously bogus. Agassi's behaviour is a disgrace! :fiery: And he hurts the tournamnets he pulls out of, because he sells more tickets than anyone else! :eek: Maybe the ATP will wake up and do something about an embarrassing situation.

And TC, what is Agassi tired of? Playing 15 tournaments a year? Wow! That's so tough! Flying around on his own private jet? And he never even plays doubles. Poor Andre! Didn't Rod Laver and the players from the 1960's and 1970's play 30 or so tournaments a year? I think they did.

I can't imagine being a big Agassi fan, and paying top dollar for the tickets, and then he all of a sudden decides he doesn't want to go all the way to Totonto to play. What, is Toronto in Siberia? :confused:

P.S. - I know Agassi is basically a good person at heart. But I'm a huge tennis fan at heart. And it hurts to see an all time great abuse the system the way he does. The ATP has to do something about it. But what?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts