Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Coaching is about learning too," he said. "We all know how to play the game, we all know what people need to do to make themselves more effective but the question is, ‘Why does that person you’re working with, not do what they themselves know they should be doing? You have to get inside somebody’s head and figure out how to get them from point A to point B. That’s the exciting part but that’s also time and commitment. And at this stage in my life I don’t have that luxury. When I get close to an empty nest, kids are gone, that’s when I’ll start to consider it."

"If I was a coach, I’d be focused on someone who’s not maximising their game really," he explained. "It wouldn’t be about coaching the best in the world, it would be about coaching the person that’s furthest from their potential. That would be the most challenging thing for me. How do you get somebody to really think outside the parameters that are limiting their game. When I think of that, I think of interesting players that have something on the table that’s not really utilised – a John Isner, someone who has that much to bring to the table and really help them cover some distance that they’ve yet to do."

Isner is currently flying the flag for US men’s tennis but the dearth of male players capable of doing some serious damage at the majors is startling and Agassi believes that sizeable changes need to occur at the grassroots level in order for America to catch up the European contingent who’ve stolen a march over the past decade.

"Until we start teaching the kids how to play long, arduous points growing up on the red clay like they do in Europe, we’ll always be at adisadvantage," he said. "There’s a lot to be said about the recognition of when you have to take a point over, play the transition game and then abort, and be willing to start that point all over again. There’s a mental and physical discipline which you gain by growing up on the slower courts versus the hard courts and the green clay of American where you just hit one good shot and think you’re in a pretty good position till you go decide to play everybody else in the world."

"Do I worry about whether the next generation are going to be able to replace the guys at the top right now?" he said. "No, I think that kind of takes care of itself. That question was actually around when Pete [Sampras] and I turned pro. Looking at [Jimmy] Connors, [John] McEnroe, Lendl, all the guys who brought tennis to the place it was at, it then fell on our shoulders to do the same but we achieved that."
"And after us has come what probably is going to be considered the golden age in tennis. If Djokovic wins Paris, you’re looking at 3 guys in the same generation who’ve won everything and it took 50 years for five of us to manage that. But what that shows is tennis is a sport which constantly evolves and it’s easy to question how it can get."

"I know I questioned that every time I played Pete – it’s impossible that somebody can do this again, this kind of tennis is unseen. And then you see it. Fed comes along and you think that’s impossible, and he has a losing record against Rafa! And then Djokovic, and then Murray steps up to the equation. So it’s a pretty amazing time and it’s very easy to wonder how it can get better but I’m gonna bet on evolution and I’m gonna say that it will get better."

TennisWorld - Issue 15 - April 2014

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Producing a letter of appointment to Murray`s camp? :lol:

·
Registered
869 Posts
How do you get somebody to really think outside the parameters that are limiting their game.
If that's the job he wants, he should maybe go to school and get a degree in psychology.

Edit: I dunno, if I really think about it I could see Agassi perhaps being a good coach, just because he's been all over the place throughout his career. It's not like everything in the world just came together for him automatically.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
On paper, Agassi would make for one of the best coaches of all time. The extremes between the highs and lows of his career were staggering. Guy must have a wealth of knowledge and experience he could pass on to any player on tour, apart from Monfils the uncoachable.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Producing a letter of appointment to Murray`s camp? :lol:
It's sounds like he's rather saying the opposite- I can't imagine when he say he wants to coach the person furthest from their potential he's talking about a guy who has won Wimbledon.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
now that's what you need Groove and you meet the criteria big time!

You should be second on the list after Tomic.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't like this bullshit theory that tennis is evolving, yes it changes but it doesn't mean its getting better. my evidence against this argument is that a 41 year old Gonzales beat a 32 year old laver, the same laver who gave borg and Connors trouble well past his best, then Connors made the semis of us at 38, causing Agassi problems who at the age of 35 gave fed problems. now a 32 year old fed is still at the top of the game. so I call ball shit on this stupid theory. it really makes my blood boil and I want to punch the stupid idiots saying it.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
It's sounds like he's rather saying the opposite- I can't imagine when he say he wants to coach the person furthest from their potential he's talking about a guy who has won Wimbledon.
Yep, but Murray can achieve a lot more in my opinion. He is capable of being number one and winning one or two more Slams

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I'd love to see AA become a coach.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Public pitch to Johnny Groove.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Isner is the guy who most fails to live up to his potential but he is a giant who wants to play like Ferrer. Coaching someone as world class stupid as Isner is a losing proposition.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The Nard. First name that comes to mind simply because his father/coach is so awful. Next: JJ. But, you can't teach someone to have a brain. And, if you try, there is only so much that can be done. Ernie would be an interesting pairing. Monfils, too. If he wants to coach an American, maybe Ryan Harrison?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts