Mens Tennis Forums banner

Agassi has become a media darling

2K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  tangytennis 
#1 ·
I respect Agassi's game but i am tired of all the junk that has been fed to us!I cant stand it.They are trying to find anyway to make Agassi fresh for the final, should he get there!He is playing the first match tomorrow.I think its a big joke if u asked me.I hope Ginepri takes him out so it can be blown up!

#2 ·
LLeytonRules said:
I respect Agassi's game but i am tired of all the junk that has been fed to us!I cant stand it.They are trying to find anyway to make Agassi fresh for the final, should he get there!He is playing the first match tomorrow.I think its a big joke if u asked me.I hope Ginepri takes him out so it can be blown up!
why you are interesting in tennis in principle?

without Andre it will be poor to watch final!

if u asked me:

most nice US Open 2005 final would be
Agassi-Blake, or Agassi-Roddick, sorry
for David Nalbandian, he was not ready
I consider Roddick's absence just as a bad luck..

#6 ·
become a media darling? it's not exactly like this just happend last week. :shrug: as for the schedule, is anyone surprised?

#8 ·
I think Dre deserves massive respect for what he has achieved ( all 4 slams) that and the fact that he can still produce magical nights like Wednesday shows that every true fan of this sport must have a soft spot for him somewhere.I mean when I was growing up when Wimby was on all the kids pretended to be Borg, Mac or Jimbo. Becker captured the imagination as well. Andre in 92 was magic. He made people give a shit about tennis. When he won the French in 99 it was massive news . He puts tennis in the front pages and everyone from Fedex down appreciates that. So I wish him the best of luck this weekend . He is a proper legend.

#12 ·
It is very difficult to root against andre this year, in what might be his final open but also because it has all lined up so well for him and he has found himself within a match of the final. I am sure, like Pete, it would be the last match he would play were he to win. He sure deserves to go out with a bang for the physical injuries he has borne and the graciousness with which he applauds his opponents. Of course, Roge/ robby and leyton are not interested in giving him that sendoff.

#13 ·
R.Federer said:
It is very difficult to root against andre this year, in what might be his final open but also because it has all lined up so well for him and he has found himself within a match of the final. I am sure, like Pete, it would be the last match he would play were he to win. He sure deserves to go out with a bang for the physical injuries he has borne and the graciousness with which he applauds his opponents. Of course, Roge/ robby and leyton are not interested in giving him that sendoff.
Thats the thing. I think most of the players and fans will be happy if Andre won one more major before he retires but if that happens, we will never here the end of it from the media :rolleyes:

They have already overworked the Blake story (great comeback :worship: ) and if Agassi was to win, imagine what we will be enduring for the next two years

#14 ·
R.Federer said:
Wow, can't believe they moved Agassi's match to the first one. They are making it even more painfully obvious what they think of his aging body and his chances for Sunday if he were to win a long 5-set match that played after Roge's.
they did? :eek: *sigh. I'm hoping it won't make a difference

#15 ·
MissMoJo said:
they did? :eek: *sigh. I'm hoping it won't make a difference
Yeah, USO has always been pro-US players in scheduling, but as late as end of Roge's match last night they said that agassi would be the later match. This is the first I hear of the change. Well, hopefully regardless of who wins the first match, it doesn't go to a long 5-setter. I wish they would just do concurrently at Armstrong and one at Ashe to be fair to all.

#19 ·
So yeah, he's always been. i guess with andy out of the tournament, the focus became agassi and james ,with the former getting the lion's share.Ginepri and his comeback get a mention every now and then. The commetators find a way to work agassi into practically every match they call, relevant or not. Even given his achievements, they're going overboard. Them rescheduling his match is par for the course

#20 ·
I heard speculation that Andre would play the later match, but I thought that was just speculation. How do we know that the match was moved?

The marquee match-up should be the second match, and I think Federer/Hewitt is fitting for that, as higher-ranked players and last year's finalists.

#21 ·
LLeytonRules said:
Now that you mention it, that does make sense. When I saw that the Federer-Hewitt match was scheduled later....for the evening, I was quite surprised. Usually they consider Agassi as their main attraction especially when he is playing another American.

#22 ·
MisterQ said:
I heard speculation that Andre would play the later match, but I thought that was just speculation. How do we know that the match was moved?

The marquee match-up should be the second match, and I think Federer/Hewitt is fitting for that, as higher-ranked players and last years' finalists.
They are not giving Federer-hewitt the second match because they consider it the marquee match. This is only done with a view to giving andre more time to recuperate should he win
With all the love they have for andre, any match he plays is the marquee match. Yet it will not go on second

#24 ·
rofe said:
I agree - it is indeed a sad state of affairs when they hide one mistake (Super Saturday) by commiting another (re-scheduling Agassi's match).

2003 anyone? :p
TOTALLY WRONG IN YOUR ASSUMPTIONS!!! This is 100% a CBS move...they don't want to take any chances in having both matches run long (or some unexpected delay with weather or injuries, etc)...and run out of time for the Agassi match (he's the guy who gets the ratings that pays the bills)...

Agassi-Genepri is first BECAUSE CBS wants it that way...

Last year, the final between Federer and Hewitt drew the lowest ratings (mens and/or womens since the 1997 US Open final between a just barely getting to be known Rafter and Rusedski....

It's a business decision...

jcm

#25 ·
Agassi has always been a media darling, he was hated before and after he married Graff he is everybodys lovely happy guy :yawn:

#26 ·
I'm the biggest Federer fan....................well next to a couple of people on this board, lololol...........but I appreciate Andre and I will not be completely upset if he wins this final Grand Slam...........oooohhhhh that hurt me to say, sorry Roger.........lolol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.