Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Sampras wins today, he will have 14 grandslams which would make it the DOUBLE of Agassi. That wouldn't look good. Plus Sampras would improve to 4-0 against Agassi at the US Open, 4-1 in grandslam finals and 5-2 in US Open titles.

Agassi HAS to win and make things a little bit closer, or Sampras will officially become the greatest.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Agassi has the pressure to win, yet another grand slam. With his name already cemented in History anything from here on is just a plus, same with Pete :cool: Btw, Pete is the best player of his era, I don't think anyone can dispute that. :D :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, this is something that weighs heavily on the minds of Agassi fans. However, at least Pete will never touch the career Grand Slam. AA also has more Master's Series and a gold medal that Pete doesn't have. The matchup is not in Andre's favor. I will always believe that he is a better a overall player, but no doubt Pete has had the better career. Andre has a deeper game, but Pete excels in the one skill area that trumps all others in tennis: the serve. Frankly, Andre has never had a consistent answer for that serve. And on a fast hardcourt, if they both play at the same level. Pete wins. Andre will have to play a cut above today to have a chance. So, yeah, I definitely don't want to see Sampras "double-up" Andre. But, regardless I'm still proud of Agassi for carving out a hell of a career at the end, despite everything he went through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts