Mens Tennis Forums banner

Was Feds performance against Novak overrated?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
A fluke? Absolutely not. It was an inevitability. After Federer brings to bear all his focus and all his energy to play one perfect match, he is weaker for the next.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Who cares about 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018 right now. It's 2019 & when Novak is in form/shape & motivated on HC needing to avenge an unexpected loss at Shainghai to Tsitsi, he delivers a 6-1, 6-2 drubbing in Paris masters like flipping a switch. We gonna see a recharged Novak who i'd bet my house on Will Not repeat performance vs Fed at WTF come AO20 where it really matters.
I only quote 2015 because Djok was unbeatable then, and many Djok fans seem to think the same applies now--it doesn't.
Short of that, I don't doubt Djok's capacities to beat Fed, though it was unexpected that Fed could come so close at Wimbledon to beating Djok. A narrow escape for Djok there.
We don't even know Fed and Djok will play WTf 2020.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Who cares about 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018 right now. It's 2019 & when Novak is in form/shape & motivated on HC needing to avenge an unexpected loss at Shainghai to Tsitsi, he delivers a 6-1, 6-2 drubbing in Paris masters like flipping a switch. We gonna see a recharged Novak who i'd bet my house on Will Not repeat performance vs Fed at WTF come AO20 where it really matters.
Joke wont get far enough in the AO next year to even play Fed or Rafa , he will be blown away by a young gun .

·
Registered
703 Posts
Unless he is coping with some real tragedy, it is not a valid excuse for losing a tennis match.
The problem for Novak fans is that: they really believe Novak is a superior tennis player than Federer. Reality is: he is NOT. Even Rafa is not. They are better in certain categories on surfaces where the physical stamina rewards in addition to skills. There is a reason, that is how they beat him. If Wimbledon, US open play as fast as they used, chances to beat Federer goes real low. Added to the surface speeds, their ages.. Roger is from a different era.. and naturally prime happened in different era.. Now, their stupid invention of weak era shows up.. as you can see - there is really no logic whatsoever, anything to discredit Fed. A lot of times Novak won, Fed was struggling with something too.. And hey.. he is 38.. What do you expect - day in day out prime performance?

What his match or Indian wells of 2017 kind of matches show is: 1. Never count Fed out.. when he is in zone, it requires super special performance to take him out. It requires super special performance even when his serve/forehand does not click. 2. Most matches have very narrow margins, and sports is young mans game. Those who have physical edge will eventually last. This is where Fed's disadvantage lies against Rafa and Novak. They know that too.. and manyu pro tennis players do as well.

Several Novak or Rafa fans in this site or many other sites (I used to see the same on tennis.com discussions) always.. without a miss, bring these excuses to discussion. Any time they lose - it is not because someone played better. It is first and foremost, they are not 100%.. Flash news.. who is? None is always 100%. And then comes different things.. If that also don't go the way, comes some kind of crazy conspiracies.. Somehow he can run around like a rabbit and beat - but still "tired". What is silly is.. when "tired" discussions come against a 5 year older player who has lot more mileage.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Djokovic just needs to be himself and not worry about what people think. He used to be like that then he turned into a PR bot and does these cringed things to be liked. He still has plenty of fans but he would be more liked if he just displayed his true self.
I watched his interview about consciousness etc. When I think about.. how can one talk about self awareness, consciousness and also letting go of ego all that, and still be so concerned about what any other person think about him so badly. I am not talking about occasional bursts.. but the guy without a miss.. has sarcastic responses to crowd etc.. it bothers him. May be the whole consciousness thing is also him wanting to look so cool..

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Serb has dealt w/ "partisan" crowds since crashing media darlings' Fedal party from beginning of his career & still overcome to become an ATG. Would love to see how Fedal would fare against rude obnoxious crowds if they were in his shoes.
They mostly tune out. You can some old Agassi vs Fed New York matches, if you like. Even that young in prime, confident and at times cocky Federer, just tunes that out and subdues crowd. Sure, Fed is the most loved sports player on this planet, and it is now different.. but last few times, it is not that bad for Novak either.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The problem for Novak fans is that: they really believe Novak is a superior tennis player than Federer. Reality is: he is NOT. Even Rafa is not. They are better in certain categories on surfaces where the physical stamina rewards in addition to skills. There is a reason, that is how they beat him. If Wimbledon, US open play as fast as they used, chances to beat Federer goes real low. Added to the surface speeds, their ages.. Roger is from a different era.. and naturally prime happened in different era.. Now, their stupid invention of weak era shows up.. as you can see - there is really no logic whatsoever, anything to discredit Fed. A lot of times Novak won, Fed was struggling with something too.. And hey.. he is 38.. What do you expect - day in day out prime performance?

What his match or Indian wells of 2017 kind of matches show is: 1. Never count Fed out.. when he is in zone, it requires super special performance to take him out. It requires super special performance even when his serve/forehand does not click. 2. Most matches have very narrow margins, and sports is young mans game. Those who have physical edge will eventually last. This is where Fed's disadvantage lies against Rafa and Novak. They know that too.. and manyu pro tennis players do as well.

Several Novak or Rafa fans in this site or many other sites (I used to see the same on tennis.com discussions) always.. without a miss, bring these excuses to discussion. Any time they lose - it is not because someone played better. It is first and foremost, they are not 100%.. Flash news.. who is? None is always 100%. And then comes different things.. If that also don't go the way, comes some kind of crazy conspiracies.. Somehow he can run around like a rabbit and beat - but still "tired". What is silly is.. when "tired" discussions come against a 5 year older player who has lot more mileage.
However u want to 'chalk it up', H2H on the most neutral HC major AO is 3-1 & no need to even remind of last 3 WB's so it comes down to styles & btw please don't lump in lefty Nadal w/ Novak who r similar perhaps in defensive tenacity only. The bottom line is Fed's style doesn't counter the current crop of ATP as well as an in form & shape Novak.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Nah, Fed just served badly ad gave away the first set with a couple of Djokovic-smashes which is unusual of him.

Still, he had plenty of chances to get back in the match (included 2 BPs when Tsi was serving for it). Just a bad day at the office.

Tsitsipas was really good though.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
703 Posts
However u want to 'chalk it up', H2H on the most neutral HC major AO is 3-1 & no need to even remind of last 3 WB's so it comes down to styles & btw please don't lump in lefty Nadal w/ Novak who r similar perhaps in defensive tenacity only. The bottom line is Fed's style doesn't counter the current crop of ATP as well as an in form & shape Novak.
Yeah, keep making things up.. most neutral.. some other genius comes along and says hardest major is Clay.. the list goes on.

The bottom line is: Fed is way way past age to be competing at the top level, and still does. While I would not say Federer would beat Rafa and Novak all the time.. but, this recent match showed a glimpse of what would have happened against a prime Federer - when Novak while playing very good but not in that 5th gear. Novak did not play bad, like many are portraying, they do it - because yet again they do not want to credit Fed. Basically this is against all the arguments of weak era. Weak era theory has always been the weakest theory. When you say in form and shape Novak, guess what.. An in form Fed can take all the youngsters out too. He has shown that as well not so long ago. It is hard to keep in form day in day out past 30. We have seen that with Fed and now Novak and Rafa also. Fed had a hard time after his 30, as he had Rafa and Novak who were in right age. Let us see if Tsitsipas or Zverev can do what they did to Fed - if Novak decides to play that long.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nah, Fed just served badly ad gave away the first set with a couple of Djokovic-smashes which is unusual of him.

Still, he had plenty of chances to get back in the match (included 2 BPs when Tsi was serving for it). Just a bad day at the office.

Tsitsipas was really good though.
He was good. But Fed had too many chances. Just one of those bad days. that we are getting used to. There are more and more of those every year. I only hope all this somehow returns in some kind of good luck at a big tournament like Wimbledon, so he can win one more and call it good.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Yeah, keep making things up.. most neutral.. some other genius comes along and says hardest major is Clay.. the list goes on.

The bottom line is: Fed is way way past age to be competing at the top level, and still does. While I would not say Federer would beat Rafa and Novak all the time.. but, this recent match showed a glimpse of what would have happened against a prime Federer - when Novak while playing very good but not in that 5th gear. Novak did not play bad, like many are portraying, they do it - because yet again they do not want to credit Fed. Basically this is against all the arguments of weak era. Weak era theory has always been the weakest theory. When you say in form and shape Novak, guess what.. An in form Fed can take all the youngsters out too. He has shown that as well not so long ago. It is hard to keep in form day in day out past 30. We have seen that with Fed and now Novak and Rafa also. Fed had a hard time after his 30, as he had Rafa and Novak who were in right age. Let us see if Tsitsipas or Zverev can do what they did to Fed - if Novak decides to play that long.
What i meant is that USO cannot b considered a legit. HC surface anymore w/ all the admitted homogenization done to it while AO has been less affected to a degree but we shall see at AO20 w/ new Greenset resurfacing. As for eras, only a measurement like ELO ratings may give some sort of accurate description to its relevance so for now we must go w/ what the records show & for myself, will not b completely satisfied until Fed's HC majors record is eclipsed & w/ 2 to go for the Serb, i like his chances.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts