Mens Tennis Forums banner

Was Feds performance against Novak overrated?

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Not a fluke but more like a bolt from the blue, it isn't like Federer doesn't have those performances in him still, it's just the chances of it materialising are lower than they ever have been.

Legends of any sport when they're old can still do it every now and then, it's just consistently they can't maintain it.

·
justice for all
15,240 Posts
Are you drunk? What is the topic to be discussed and what the heck are you discussing
Even if I'm drunk I'm not half as drunk as you probably were to open such silly thread.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
Djok gave tsitsipas an almighty whack in Paris,if you cared to Notice
True.
What makes tennis so interesting is that no player is the same player on different ocassions, in different conditions, etc.
I think TSitsi is playing way better now than he was then.
Djok fans tend to think it's still 2015. It's not. He doesn't maintain the same high level.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
It was a fluke that Federer played at his best since it’s so rare for a player to have a 23W 5UE ratio.

But it’s not a fluke that Roger won. Roger at 100% is still better than any other player that plays at 100%.

An in form shot maker will always beat a grinding pusher like Novak.

·
King Of Tennis
2,671 Posts
Yup, Fraud was flukey as fuck and also got lucky a subpar King showed up. Still, he was out of the tournament his very next match anyway and will never erase 40-15bledon.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Novak was emotionally down and I remember he basically just gave up at the start of the second.Nothing like Federer was playing outstanding or something, just Novak got emotionally off since the beginning and gifted the win..Also he indicated that he had some trouble with his elbow.

Tsitsi just dismantled Federer today..The way it should be really..I mean Federer was once great against the likes of Gonzales and Roddick but after that era he was basically a bunny of Novak and Nadal.Just sneaks in Grand Slam or two when Novak or Nadal are out injured..

What do you think?
I think you are just ignorant of Tennis sport and do not really understand how the sport works.

·
Registered
699 Posts
What people don't understand is "match-ups". Each player matches up in certain way against other players. It takes several matches h2h before they completely neutralize those pros and cons too. Tsitsipas basically plays almost Fed brand of tennis, and much younger and also more likely to play at 80 % or above most time.. Whereas Fed - naturally at his age.. is more off and very few times on. He was really on against Djokovic.. but today, serve did not work. Honestly, the result is not that surprising. I really hope all of them - Tsitsipas, Zverev, Thiem and Medvedev learn or gain from this post summer experience, and bring it to all majors next year.. They are running out of time very fast - if they do not win majors next year. What is disappointing as a Fed fan is.. it is hard .. very hard for him to show his best match in match out for entire week.. forget about 2 weeks.. So, it is almost unimaginable to think he can win a big one. Let us see.. but I am very impressed how Tsitsipas and Thiem play.. as a one handed back hand fan, I hope they win big titles.. and stay on top longer.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It was a fluke that Federer played at his best since it’s so rare for a player to have a 23W 5UE ratio.

But it’s not a fluke that Roger won. Roger at 100% is still better than any other player that plays at 100%.

An in form shot maker will always beat a grinding pusher like Novak.
Djokovic was clearly injured + he understand he can't beat next opponents and it was in his head in 2d set it's fact. He was nervous about it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Djok gave tsitsipas an almighty whack in Paris,if you cared to Notice
This is the problem with Novak's fans/trolls. They only remember his wins and not his losses. Tsitsipas also beat Novak in Shanghai. But that doesn't count right? It only count if Novak beat Tsitsipas according to his trollish fans.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
No, it just proves that faker's two wins over Stef were a big fluke. One was vs a baby Stef, the other one vs a tanking Stef who was getting prepared for the ATP finals.
This
When nd meets Tsitsipas next time the Greek will dominate.
Reason? Bc nd is too passive and new generation hits harder

·
Registered
393 Posts
No, it proves that Fed (and even Rafa & Novak) don’t always have their A game from match to match now. This is normal as you get older. Sometimes Fed shows a #1 type level and sometimes he shows a regular top level. Also, sometimes Stef has it all working and sometimes he doesn’t (this is what happens when you’re a young player). All in all, neither result (I.e., Fed beating Nole, Stef besting Fed) was shocking.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
True.
What makes tennis so interesting is that no player is the same player on different ocassions, in different conditions, etc.
I think TSitsi is playing way better now than he was then.
Djok fans tend to think it's still 2015. It's not. He doesn't maintain the same high level.
Who cares about 2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018 right now. It's 2019 & when Novak is in form/shape & motivated on HC needing to avenge an unexpected loss at Shainghai to Tsitsi, he delivers a 6-1, 6-2 drubbing in Paris masters like flipping a switch. We gonna see a recharged Novak who i'd bet my house on Will Not repeat performance vs Fed at WTF come AO20 where it really matters.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
when Novak is in form/shape & motivated on HC needing to
It's interesting how your list of conditions for Novak keeps getting longer.

So to sum it up, when you decide (ex post of course) that Djokovic is in form, in shape, not injured, needs to win (lol what?) then it's game on.

Fabulous stuff.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's pretty obvious that after the performance against Djoko Fed had very little left in the tank. 38 years old. Played lights out against ND. If he had brought the same performance today he'd be in the final. He may even have tweaked his back. How can you call it a fluke? No fluke. And if Djoko can't deal with a partisan crowd then he needs to retire. :sneaky:

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
It's pretty obvious that after the performance against Djoko Fed had very little left in the tank. 38 years old. Played lights out against ND. If he had brought the same performance today he'd be in the final. He may even have tweaked his back. How can you call it a fluke? No fluke. And if Djoko can't deal with a partisan crowd then he needs to retire. :sneaky:
The Serb has dealt w/ "partisan" crowds since crashing media darlings' Fedal party from beginning of his career & still overcome to become an ATG. Would love to see how Fedal would fare against rude obnoxious crowds if they were in his shoes.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The Serb has dealt w/ "partisan" crowds since crashing media darlings' Fedal party from beginning of his career & still overcome to become an ATG. Would love to see how Fedal would fare against rude obnoxious crowds if they were in his shoes.
yeah well it's tough when you're not the most loved player of all time. Sucks to be Djoker. The guy just tries waaaaay too hard to be loved and it backfires on him. Sometimes I do feel sorry for him. But then again he can be annoying. :cool:

21 - 40 of 73 Posts