Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey MTF!

I'm planning on studying in England this upcoming fall, which is awesome because that means I'll be able to go to the WTF for the first time and hopefully see some of my favorite players. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had attended in the past, and if he/she had any advice for me.

Just some general questions are...

1. Is it possible to meet with any of the players (namely Federer) before/after matches (during practices?) to ask them for a photo or autograph? I don't have the chance to go to tournaments in person very often, so I was just wondering if it would be possible.

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for what round to watch? I was thinking of buying either a SF or Final ticket. How soon should I buy my ticket?

3. Likewise, are there some seats/sections that are better than others?

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Hi there, I attended the WTF's last year and really loved it. I hope to go back this year.

1. Yes it is possible to meet with the players. There is a few methods some which are better than others. The best method is to go to the pier (players arrive here via boat on the thames clipper) 3 or so hours before the player you want to meet is scheduled to arrive since they usually come to practice before hand. The pier is a lot less busy than practice sessions. However be advised that Federer did not arrive by the pier last year and arrived by car instead. That may be the case this year. It is possible to meet players at their practice sessions but bear in mind these are VERY busy esp with Fed so you have to be lucky as to where you sit in relation to player entrance/exit and a photo is probably tough in these situations.

2. Semi Final and Final are good rounds usually although they can be a blow out. I was at the second semi last year as well as the Final and both were straight setters. Fun experience but no classic Tennis. I'd suggest Thursday, Friday (last round robin stages) and then Saturday (Semi Finals) and Sunday (Final), that way you'll see all players. That is of course if you have the money. Get your tickets asap!

3. I was in the upper tier near the front last year. Good seats, could see the ball etc. But I'd imagine lower tier is better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Prodigy!

So do a lot of fans kind of camp out by the pier/practice courts?
And do I get to pick which RR match / SF I watch?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
First of all if you haven't got tickets yet go on the website and book them - pretty sure that the final is sold out. You have no idea when you buy a ticket who you're going to see as you don't know yet who's going to make it to the final 8, then who's in which group until much nearer the time.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
You get one (abbreviated) doubles plus one singles per session. No way of telling who plays what virtually until the tournament begins, especially last year, when Bercy didn't finish until the day before, I think, and so the players in the final there got a day's grace regardless of which side of the draw they were. If you want to see a specific player, I think you'd need to book two days solid, say the first Mon and Tues, to be certain. Over the last couple of years, I've noticed that Fed (and possibly Murray too) tend to play more afternoon matches: the BBC cover the singles matches which are on in the afternoon, and I get the impression they get some sort of input as to which matches they want to show.

As for catching Roger for a photo etc., I'd warn you that last year when I saw the practice schedule he was scheduled for the match court an hour or two before the first match of the day. I'm not sure whether you can get on there, or whether it's closed to the public. The actual practice courts are much more accessible, but don't have much capacity for spectators.

Seating: my impression is that most seats ought to have a good view, but some of them are *very* far away. Also, the top tier, and particularly the upper most part of it, is not remotely suitable for vertigo sufferers. I guess it depends how much you are prepared to pay for 2 not particularly long matches.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay great. Yeah I compromised and bought the semifinal evening ticket on the lower tier - I don't do well with heights.

1. Does anyone have any more advice for catching them for a photo? I heard that there is a fan zone? How early do people start showing up? (Should I come in the morning on Saturday, when my match is in the evening, to try and catch them?)

2. Are there ticket scalpers who would sell tickets to the Friday evening RR or anywhere else online I can buy them, other than the viagogo website?

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Okay great. Yeah I compromised and bought the semifinal evening ticket on the lower tier - I don't do well with heights.

1. Does anyone have any more advice for catching them for a photo? I heard that there is a fan zone? How early do people start showing up? (Should I come in the morning on Saturday, when my match is in the evening, to try and catch them?)

2. Are there ticket scalpers who would sell tickets to the Friday evening RR or anywhere else online I can buy them, other than the viagogo website?
Unsure about the answer to 1, but for question 2, yes. There will be scalpers most likely.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

I've gone every year since the wtf has been in London. i like to do two full days in a row to see everyone play. last year was off because people were still playing at Bercy so they had to shuffle the order of play (we ended up seeing Wawa play twice and I had to scramble for a ticket to see Gasquet-Del Potro) but usually it alternates between groups everyday so if group A plays first, you know group B will play tomorrow. unfortunately, you don't know which group will start. and you don't know who will play which session until the schedule is released. IIRC two years ago we caught Murray-Djokovic in the afternoon session which was surprising. This is why I do two full days.

We had front row seats (baseline and sidelines behind the players' box) last year. I had upper tier for one session on the first year and while the view wasn't bad, I would spring for main floor seating if you can afford it. it is much better and not much more expensive.

as for catching the players, I think the best opportunity is when they arrive at the O2 by boat. I don't think there are many people out there waiting for them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been a couple of times. I can't add much to the good advice previous posters have given except perhaps to say that, as soon as you arrive, ask one of the stewards about the practice court schedules. I couldn't find a schedule up anywhere but the guys were happy to tell me when I asked.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who are the stewards?

Also it says they're going to mail the tickets to my address before the tournament. Is this only a few days before? Is it not possible for them to do eTicketing?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The stewards are the men/women working at the O2. Ask one of the stewards who's standing at the entrance to a practice court. The less busy courts are down in the fan zone if I remember rightly. They also use the main arena as a practice court so you can access that well before the main matches start. I didn't realise that until it was too late so missed Delpo practicing.

I'm sorry but I don't know about the ticket thing. Contact whoever you got your tickets from and ask. I think it's unlikely they'll send etickets but ask the question.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've been a couple of times. I can't add much to the good advice previous posters have given except perhaps to say that, as soon as you arrive, ask one of the stewards about the practice court schedules. I couldn't find a schedule up anywhere but the guys were happy to tell me when I asked.
Last year practice court schedules were on the WTF App. I assume they'll do the same this year.

Who are the stewards?

Also it says they're going to mail the tickets to my address before the tournament. Is this only a few days before? Is it not possible for them to do eTicketing?
Ticketmaster now sends pdf file tickets (eTickets). The previous years, they sent tickets by UPS a week or two before the tournament starts (I'm in the USA, by the way). It was very inconvenient as they sent each session separately and required a signature so somebody had to be home to receive the packages. It was also ridiculously expensive as we were charged shipping for each session.

If you bought from ViaGoGo, it all depends on the seller. My last minute ticket was sent as a pdf file.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will the players be arriving to the pier each day of the tournament / will they be at the practice courts each day? How early should I get there?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'd guess they'd have to practise there each day - do they have any alternatives? (Actually, I think I heard some reference to indoor courts in W. London somewhere last year - would it have been Queen's?)

Can't help with the other queries, sorry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bumping this as I'm gonna be in London a couple of days that week and looking to head along on the Tuesday evening.

Can anyone who has been advise on seating arrangements? I think I might just go for top tier as the cheapest lower tier seats I can find are nearly eighty pounds, which is quite a bit more than I paid for a full day at Wimbledon on court 3 and the entire outside courts. I'm not paying that for one singles match.

Is the view from the top tier acceptable or do you need binoculars? Can you reliably get seats further down the tier and would that make much difference? I know a few people mention vertigo, I actually am wary of heights but it surely can't be that bad in a seated arena? Finally, is it better to sit in the middle of the court than at either end or is it not much of a difference in quality?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

This is the view from about Row L of the top tier, taken last year. I took cheapo plastic x3 magnification "opera" glasses, but didn't use them in the end, because the court was perfectly clear, if a long way off.

I know what you mean: I didn't want to pay more than I'd pay for a Wimbledon ground pass for the very same reason. Last year, I got a very good deal via Viagogo.com, but that *was* for an afternoon session not an evening one.

I wouldn't underestimate the vertigo effect: not only did I find it distinctly uncomfortable going down stairs (there is no rear entrance, as I may have mentioned before, so you can't get out by going upstairs). My biggest problem, with it being stadium seating, was actually making my way along the rows with this big drop on one side of me, but then I do have a dodgy knee, and the worry about that possibly giving way at a crucial moment probably didn't help. The trouble is that you're not given any indication of where your seat is, so you can't just pick one close to an aisle.

I'm not sure there's necessarily any advantage to sitting at the ends or in the middle, but then I've not sat at the ends at the O2. I'd guess the view should be equally good from anywhere: it's not as if you're watching a band which is on stage at one end.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Was there in 2009 (just for a day though) and last year, will be there again next month - got tickets for the entire group stages, might get some for SF/F if non-outrageously expensive tickets free up the day before and the matchup is good.

Advice: top tier tickets are fine, the view is great, and they're much cheaper of course, you can book tickets quickly at get the e-tickets instantly in the axs website. I actually prefer the view from above btw. Also, avoid buying food or drinks inside the O2, London is an expensive city in general but the O2 just takes the piss in that regard. Apart from that, not much to add, it's a pretty cool event, I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you go. Met quite a few MTFers there last year and same this year, I'm even attending some of the sessions with fellow MTFers :D

As for when you should buy it, I assume there will be tickets for most sessions even the day before, but still of course the quicker you do get them the less chances you take.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts