Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adjusted for inflation, the ATP’s current elite are the best paid ever

New post at ubitennis that compares ATP prize money earned over the course of a career. Importantly, all the totals have been adjusted for inflation which allows for more relevant analysis. Only careers that took place from 1985 onwards du to data published on the ATP website.

Post here:

Adjusted for inflation, the ATP?s current elite are the best paid ever | UBITENNIS

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Re: Adjusted for inflation, the ATP’s current elite are the best paid ever

They were scandalously underpaid in the 1970s and 1980s considering how much the tournaments and federations made.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Prize winnings have catapulted in recent years. Djokovic will have earned more for his 3 slams in 2015 than Federer for the same 3 slams in 2007 for example.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts

Prize winnings have catapulted in recent years. Djokovic will have earned more for his 3 slams in 2015 than Federer for the same 3 slams in 2007 for example.
thanks for pointing the obvious.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

thanks for pointing the obvious.
Perhaps I felt it was worth reiterating to emphasise the uselessness of this list.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts

I would be curious as to how much money Gonzalez, Rosewall and Laver on the pro tour. I read that there was one year that Rosewall won nothing for winning a US pro slam, because the tournament made no profit that year

·
Registered
5,174 Posts

TV coverage. It took the game to nooks and corners all over the world in the past 30 years (which was confined to a few developed countries earlier) and made the game more marketable, more watchable, and more affordable.

Social media. Players constant contact with fans. Previously, the fans did not know what the **** their favorite players were doing off the court. Now, the fans are getting constant updates as to what a player does, on and off the court, and therefore, fans are more invested.

Increase in outreach. Increased in entertainment. Increase in money. Increase in pay.

·
Your visions will happen
50,005 Posts

And in 10 years the next generation will break these current records

And in 10 more years, the same

·
Registered
7,030 Posts

Perhaps I felt it was worth reiterating to emphasise the uselessness of this list.
How is the list useless, it talks about money, simple and clear. Not who is better at tennis.
Fucking tards everywhere, want to infect everything with GOAT debates :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

How is the list useless, it talks about money, simple and clear. Not who is better at tennis.
Fucking tards everywhere, want to infect everything with GOAT debates :facepalm:
No need to get aggressive. I don't know why you're referring to me as a tard. I don't support any of the big 3 and I don't care for GOAT debates.

The fact is, this list doesn't say much precisely because of the enormous rise in prize winnings in recent years, which clearly benefits modern players.

·
Registered
507 Posts

The prize money shouldn't keep on increasing faster than inflation. If more money enters the sport, it should be passed on to the Challenger and Futures tour. Those guys work so hard and yet nothing.

Tennis is the only mainstream sport where it's super hard outside the top 100. The thousandth best tennis player in the world makes like -$20000 a year. To my knowledge, there exists no other top sport like this.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

The prize money shouldn't keep on increasing faster than inflation. If more money enters the sport, it should be passed on to the Challenger and Futures tour. Those guys work so hard and yet nothing.

Tennis is the only mainstream sport where it's super hard outside the top 100. The thousandth best tennis player in the world makes like -$20000 a year. To my knowledge, there exists no other top sport like this.
that's because Tennis is an individual sport. Don't compare it to basketball/soccer, compare it to golf/athletics/etc

Obviously you need to make sure that young/promising but struggling Challenger players can survive long enough to break through, if they're good enough, but you're basically subsidizing, it's the top players that are generating all the income, so they (deservedly so) get the most money. It seems pretty fair to me. Even the low-ranked players occasionally get chances to score big wins and break through, so if they're good enough, they can do it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

that's because Tennis is an individual sport. Don't compare it to basketball/soccer, compare it to golf/athletics/etc

Obviously you need to make sure that young/promising but struggling Challenger players can survive long enough to break through, if they're good enough, but you're basically subsidizing, it's the top players that are generating all the income, so they (deservedly so) get the most money. It seems pretty fair to me. Even the low-ranked players occasionally get chances to score big wins and break through, so if they're good enough, they can do it.
It's got to the point where an elite few are making a gargantuan sum of money and young, talented players who don't have academies and sponsors backing them struggle to even make a living.

Obviously the best of the best should be entitled to the grand prizes, that's a given. What is unfair is when these players are getting SO much that there are legitimate professionals who can barely afford to stay on tour.

I'm sure the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic won't request for their HUGE winnings to hit a plateau but there needs to be a limit otherwise it creates a less competitive environment in addition to pushing lots of talented and hard working players away.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

Unlike football, basketball and ice hockey, people are not prepared to pay to see the no 500 in tennis play a match. Hence they should not be paid a sustainable amount annually. If someone doesn't breeze past the 500 mark pretty quickly, I doubt the world loses out on an amazing talent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts