Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Lordy be, but Ivo has hit - count them, 1318 ACES. Now, I know some have stated that w/o that stat he has going on for himself that he'd be chop liver. I agree to a certain extent - but why shouldn't he go for them if the point of tennis is to win your own service game?

And, he must not be that terrible on the return side because he has won titles on three surfaces this year, and lost to Fed in his last two tourneys didn't he? Very few players pass Fed - but that day is a changin'.

I forget which commentator said that because Ivo is so tall - he get's a better angle on where he serves into the box in order to get most of his ACES. Roddick and Lubi aren't as tall but - they seem to know where to hit them. Then you have the ones talkin' 'bout the placement of serves and how important that can be. I agree w/that also.

And we've all seen matches where a player can send down 20 in a given match - but then only hits 3 in the next match. LOL! What is the problem? Surely and at times, it may haps has to do w/their opponent and his/her returning skilz - but I don't buy that all the way. I think at times, some consciously think to themselves to go for an ACE and then they stop thinking that a way. Of course, they may miss it on the first serve.

I don't understand why more don't go for the short but oh so sweet one in the box. Short and sweet, and sometimes w/the slice or slider serve. Why don't these players practice those more? The short serve out wide in the box is absolutely my favorite play in tennis.

Anyway, I don't think we should knock the ones that score them. I think more should try to.

Check out the below. Roger is in fourth place in ACES served up to the people. I think he got at least a third of those since the FO.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/matchfacts/

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
For me at least it really varies, some matches ill love watching players blow serves past each other, and other matches ill fall asleep. Live though it's pretty sweet, I had the "pleasure" of watching Sam Querrey get his shit pushed in by Koubek at the US Open this year, and seeing live just how absurdly hard, fast, and accurate those aces are is really cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts