Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the Roddick-Gonzalez match, Cliff Drysdale and Patrick McEnroe were discussing the new surface for the Australian Open next year and Cliffy made a joke about how the court speed will play however Hewitt wants it to. PMac just kind of made a snooty comment about how Hewitt is done anyway, not a factor anymore so it doesn't matter.

I mean, although Hewitt has had some tough losses this year, he is often a factor on the big stage when we least expect it and can still be counted on to take out some high seeds. But what bothers me about this comment is PMac's hypocrisy. When Hewitt goes through a dry spell, he's finished. But when Roddick struggles for 10 months with his game, he still has tons of praise to heap on him. How quickly we forget that Hewitt played Nadal really close at the French Open this year and also went to 7-5 in the third against him at Hamburg. He also pushed Federer to a third set tiebreak at Cincinnati this summer.

Hewitt may or may not be finished, but you can't count him out. Cliff was a little stunned at this comment too.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
:eek: I just heard it too as I was watching the Fernando-Andy match. Can't that moron edit himself at all??? Very harsh if you ask me-and to just blurt it out like that. Hewitt may be past his peak, but still, I don't think you can count him out-is there a tougher competitor out there??? PMac as always, is an idiot.....:rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Hewitt is not done! He's one of the best, I love him. He'll be back, he can certainly beat anyone on the right day.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
That is a pretty silly thing for PMac to say, Hewitt isn't done until he says so. He may not be as tough as he was, but he doesn't give away matches either.

But, where was Andy struggling for 10 months? Yeah, he hasn't had a stellar year, but he managed to stay in the Top Ten despite not playing 4 Masters events, so he must be doing something right.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Since when PMac is an oracle?

Just one quote on Andy Roddick : "He's got a good game for clay". Need I say more...

·
Registered
537 Posts
he's a counterpunsher, and I'm not just talking about the way he's hitting the ball. especially the Australian Open are important to him, and I could see him reaching the QF stage, maybe even the Semi's depending on his draw. on the other hand, it looks like some guys outrunned him. it surprised me that he's had such a good Clay Court season. Gaudio gave it to him at the French in sets 1 & 2, and then Hewitt takes the match--- a counterpunsher, I've said it before. I'm excited for the Australian.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Well, he is not so committed to tennis so much, and his body is a little bit too fragile (niggling injuries every now and then), but lets not forget that he has won at least 1 tournament every year for past 10 years. He will always have plenty of game play in him to make a deep run, even at slams. IMO he was one of the better players in a period from Hamburg till USO.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Since when PMac is an oracle?

Just one quote on Andy Roddick : "He's got a good game for clay". Need I say more...
Well he has made the semis at Rome. And also won several tournaments on clay, also he made the 3rd round at the French.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Who cares what Pmac says, hes a clown of the highest order.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Well he has made the semis at Rome. And also won several tournaments on clay, also he made the 3rd round at the French.
Ducky won tournaments on clay :confused: :confused: :confused:
What are those tournaments , may I ask ? And that 3rd ropund in RG was: 1st round with some guy ranked 265, 2 nd round in a tought 5 setter with Chang(ranked 35) who was nearly 30 at that time, and he lost in 3rd from Hewitt :wavey:

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
PMac is a clown.

Hewitt is a good player but he will never be a great player again.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Weren't they talking about him as a dark horse at the U.S Open? I find it annoying when people change their minds as quickly as that, especially considering that Hewitt just hasn't been around lately.

Anyway I agree with the others that Hewitt can still go deep in the Slams, although he won't get close to replicating his previous achievements.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts