Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FAA doing a good job winning the matches he should, had a few poor games in the second set but scraped through in the end. One has to wonder if he's overplaying though, two consecutive finals and he keeps on playing in another continent. I guess his style isn't super taxing, but he should start scheduling like a top player soon if he wants to contest for the big titles.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think that his schedule is fine. I heard that he lives in Monte Carlo so it is not a big deal and FAA will have a short trip to IW and a few days off with a R1 bye so it is not an issue at this stage of the calendar.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Felix was serving at 75% first serves in the first set but his serve and level really dropped in the second set. He finished the match under 60% of first serves in and it's been a very long time since I've seen him serve that many doubles. He did mention in pre-match interview that he's definitely tired from all the matches he's played. I'm pretty sure he would not have played this week if Canada needed to play in the Davis Cup next week. I'm still happy he came down and he'll be able to enjoy some rest after this. No expectations at all for this week and he might just lose next round against Edmund who just won a title.

·
Registered
564 Posts
im glad he's playing so soon after the last few weeks, it kinda worked out for medvedev last year.
for now i think its worth it to exhaust himself for the sake of staying in rhythm. he's a young man, he can recoup fast.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
FAA doing a good job winning the matches he should, had a few poor games in the second set but scraped through in the end. One has to wonder if he's overplaying though, two consecutive finals and he keeps on playing in another continent. I guess his style isn't super taxing, but he should start scheduling like a top player soon if he wants to contest for the big titles.
Yup , 7th tourney in 8 weeks total of 2020 , I guess he's gonna keep pushing his body without problem like the next gen did/are doing but yeah , it may come at the expense of not getting enough big leagues (slams) experience / success in the next 2/3 years just like NG.
I rather him be getting it now.

·
Registered
384 Posts
He prob should have skipped Acapulco this week (or even better skipped Marseille to be fully fresh here as the #4 seed), but 3 big weeks in a row isn't that uncommon for top players. It also happens a lot on clay when players play in Rome, Madrid, and the tournaments before & after that including RG.

Right now he needs to get more experience on the ATP tour and improve his consistency, which is great to see that he's managed it well so far. Signing up for doubles this week was completely unnecessary tho.

Good thing is he'll get a full week off after Acapulco for IW, so he should be fully fresh by then.

Besides Felix, I was just very surprised that Raonic pulled out after only having reached the SFs in Delray with ease.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Besides Felix, I was just very surprised that Raonic pulled out after only having reached the SFs in Delray with ease.
I would assume Milos doesn't think his body can handle two full weeks of tennis in a row (which he hasn't been able to handle for years now).

As far as Felix's schedule, I don't see an issue. He's just 19 and certainly not contending for any big titles right now with his game in its current state. He can handle this.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would assume Milos doesn't think his body can handle two full weeks of tennis in a row (which he hasn't been able to handle for years now).

As far as Felix's schedule, I don't see an issue. He's just 19 and certainly not contending for any big titles right now with his game in its current state. He can handle this.
Then why even bother asking for the WC in the 1st place? Quite disrespectful tbh to ask the event & be lucky enough to receive a WC, only to pull out last minute without any serious reasonings.

If he was so concerned about 2 weeks in a row, why not just sign up for NY Indoors, then have a week off and then play Acapulco?

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts