Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Zverev losing for the same reasons over and over again. Second serve is straight cheeks and he’s way too defensive for his height. Seeing a 6’6 guy playing that defensively standing as far as Nadal behind the baseline is just cringeworthy to watch.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
"Zverev didn't solved the DF problem in Australia"

AO: 14 DFs / 118 2nd serves
Acapulco: 17/43
Good point, I guess most of us focused too much on the insane 1st serve percentage and overlooked the healthy 2nd serve percentage. However, he wasn't often under pressure to make multiple second serves in a short period then, about 6 a set in AO and 11 a set here, so I guess lots of 2nd serves in a short period is the key to his double-faulting, which can also be seen by how his DFs tend to cluster together, even in AO SF I think he had 2 in a game in the 2nd set when he was cruising to halt the momentum.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I wonder how difficult it is to work on a 2nd serve?
It's an interesting question really, we've had lots of DF queens in WTA like Dementieva and Sharapova for some time, and more recently Ostapenko. Sometimes it just becomes a nagging issue that won't go away, I'm no expert on technique and can't read players' mind so I can't tell if it's mostly based on technique or mentality. I opened a thread about Zverev's second serve last year, and IIRC there was an opinion that Zverev's can't hit a proper kick serve and his 2nd delivery wasted too much energy, I suspect there's a ring of truth around this as he has tended to DF more when he needs more 2nd serves and when under pressure.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
"Zverev didn't solved the DF problem in Australia"

AO: 14 DFs / 118 2nd serves
Acapulco: 17/43
Wasn't under pressure due to absurdly high 1st serve percentages. As soon as pressure mounted, Zverev double faulted twice in a row to give Thiem a break lead in the second set of the semi.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Zverev actually got out of his shell and started serving okay again until the last game and hitting nicely from the baseline, but his first 2 service games were absolute comedy.

He made 6 DF's through his first 2 service games, holding the second as Paul was a bit wasteful on BP's.

2-3 of them barely reached the net. He started hitting his first serve at second serve speed.

It was crazy.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Watched a couple of games here. Thought Zverev was actually hitting the ball pretty well here, it was just that Paul played pretty well too and Zverev serving like that is hardly competitive against strong players.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts