Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Great match by Paul, Zverev was actually okay from the baseline, Paul did well not to be broken all match. Zverev handed the breaks on a plate with DFs, he’ll really have to solve this problem to get through matches on bad 1st serve percentage days like this.

·
Registered
752 Posts
?
Well done Tommy!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,522 Posts

Great match by Paul, Zverev was actually okay from the baseline, Paul did well not to be broken all match. Zverev handed the breaks on a plate with DFs, he’ll really have to solve this problem to get through matches on bad 1st serve percentage days like this.
I saw this coming when he had 8 DFs against Jung despite posting a >70% first serve percentage there.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
What went wrong since AO was serving great !?
Zverev had about 80% first serves in on average at AO, that kind of serving doesn’t happen every day. He‘s never really solved the second serve problem since about 10 months ago, DF rate is always high when he misses the first.

·
52,522 Posts
Paul played very well that said. He is one of the Americans I like watching as he has a nuanced game, big weighty FH but he can play shots from all over the court. Especially like how nonchalant he is on the court, such a relaxed character (dude totally looks like someone from a skate park lol).

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Paul played very well that said. He is one of the Americans I like watching as he has a nuanced game, big weighty FH but he can play shots from all over the court.
Reminds Agassi ?. Im just watching highlights of him for the first time

EDIT: the more I watch , the more agree with it :cool:

Tommy you'got a fan here

EDIT 2: I tuned in to watch Sasha getting owned, instead was greatly surprised

·
52,522 Posts
Reminds Agassi ?. Im just watching highlights of him for the first time
parts of it are. Agassi was maybe a bit more streamlined with 100% intensity on every shot and more balanced on both sides. With Paul, you almost are shocked how much power the guy possesses considering he almost looks casual at times - has explosive or volatile elements. Paul prefers the FH as moneymaker though his BH isn't shabby and has some defensive tricks too. Definitely keeps you on your toes because he plays quite a few "risky" shots much of the tour won't play.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
The way Tommy pummels those FHs, his aggressive ROS . Damn so nice to watch and I have a hard time accepting new guys into my faves

·
52,522 Posts
The way Tommy pummels those FHs, his aggressive ROS . Damn so nice to watch and I have a hard time accepting new guys into my faves
wanna see a Paul vs Nadal match if possible. Interesting contrast of styles, that FH could cause chaos if Nadal keeps his balls a little too short.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
wanna see a Paul vs Nadal match if possible. Interesting contrast of styles, that FH could cause chaos if Nadal keeps his balls a little too short.
Well Rafa did make amazing turn arounds h2h vs these big FHs at some point : Blake , Gonzalez, Roddick. All ended up suffering to Rafa. Owning MTF Dull haters along the way somwhere around 2008.

But gotcha it would be very nice to witness that match up :)

·
Registered
21,129 Posts
Zverev never solved the DF problem. In AO he made the SF because he was hitting 80% of first serves. Basically without the first serve, Zverev is hopeless.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts