Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Chiudi-fan
75,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy on my avy usually results in a lot of questions about him, who is the scary guy, why taking him as avy. Well it has all something to do with the Saint Nicholas event. In a lot of country's this is just a one day event, but in Holland it takes a few weeks. Last weekend Saint Nicholas arrived by boat in Holland, this is a big happening a lot of kids go to watch the arrival and a lot of people watch it on tv. The story the kids truly believe is that Saint Nicholas spends all year in Spain and comes to Holland in November to give candies and presents to the childeren. (yes I know, Saint Nicholas is originally from Turkey, don't know why this is changed to Spain for Dutch people).

Black peters are those who help Sinterklaas (as we call Saint Nicholas) to give presents and candies to all those childeren. There are a lot of different black peters, they all have their own tasks. And the name usually says what kind of peter it is. So you got the paardenpiet, paard = horse, so it's the peter which takes care of the horse. (saint nicholas always has his white horse amerigo with him) You got the huispiet, huis = house, so it is the peter which takes care of the house. And so there are more, the peter I got in my avatar is the hoofdpiet. It's the most important, the boss of all peters. And he definitely is my favorite, as he is really funny, I love his jokes. Yes I turn in a kid of 6 years old again during these weeks, I love this saint nicholas event soooo much!!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts