Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It feels eternity that last time I did not see (PR) next to Lu Yen-hsun, and yet I have seen it again on Miami entry list. so what is the deal, when will he NOT be able to use any more, is there a deadline for it? Is he the next Tursunov?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
You can use PR for 9 tournaments (within max 9 months) if you were injured for 6 to 12 months or 12 tournaments (within max. 1 year) if you were injured for more than 12 months. I am not exactly sure, however, what applies to Lu right now, as he had two breaks, one of more than 12 months until Jan 20 and one of less than 12 months between Feb 20 and Jan 21. In any case, I think Miami is only the 5th tournament he enters with PR after AO 20, Dubai 20, Melbourne 21, and AO 21, so for sure he can enter a few more.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use PR for 9 tournaments (within max 9 months) if you were injured for 6 to 12 months or 12 tournaments (within max. 1 year) if you were injured for more than 12 months. I am not exactly sure, however, what applies to Lu right now, as he had two breaks, one of more than 12 months until Jan 20 and one of less than 12 months between Feb 20 and Jan 21. In any case, I think Miami is only the 5th tournament he enters with PR after AO 20, Dubai 20, Melbourne 21, and AO 21, so for sure he can enter a few more.
So are we sure he's not abusing the system?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought....something needs to change.
You can be certain if Lu used his PR for Miami it is because he is running out of time and wont be able to use it for the FO.

It is totally outdated system, i think even WC system needs to change as well and have it more meritocratic.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
He's played in a couple tournaments this year and lost so I definitely think he's running out of time.. somewhat feel pity for him at his age though. The end of the road is coming

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
So are we sure he's not abusing the system?
Of course he is, just like Tursunov did. When they qualify for these PRs and are at the end of their career anyway, they're not looking to re-build their ranking, they are just going to try to maximize their prize money, so they'll enter a grand slam with a PR, then magically skip every single 250/500 in between even though they were healthy enough to play and then use a PR for the next grand slam and so forth.

·
Premium Member
12,330 Posts
PR works for some players.

For example Del Potro had a few PR here and there If I remember correctly... and he would fully utilize his ranking and spot in the draw.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
PR works for some players.

For example Del Potro had a few PR here and there If I remember correctly... and he would fully utilize his ranking and spot in the draw.
Well of course, for guys that still have a career head of them to rebuild their ranking towards, guys like Tursunov and Lu are just artificially extending their ability to qualify for big time paychecks, I don't blame them, but it's obvious what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I bet it's also skewed due to COVID frozen rankings. Look at the WTA side: Vondrousova is using a PR from 2019 to get into the olympics even though she's been fully fit and playing since last year.
I remember a few years back to always see (PR) next to Stebe, wondering how long would that last.

·
Registered
Max Purcell
2,175 Posts
You really can't use your PR for more than a year. In Lu's case it's extended because of the frozen ranking.

·
Registered
Max Purcell
2,175 Posts
a good example is andrey Kuznetsov who took out the 1st seed of qualifying Ivashka at this RG. He also defeated Querrey, Dellien and Molcan after Molcan had been a runner up at Belgrade II. As a result he rebuilt his atp ranking from complete ZERO points to being able to qualify for challenger quailes and will participate in Nur Sultan 4 after Wimbledon

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
When you've decided you want to retire or just simply aren't good enough anymore claiming a PR is a fantastic way to enjoy retirement without having to train or worry about results while still being able to claim four more grand slam and half a dozen masters first round paychecks!

·
Premium Member
20,761 Posts
Imagine making an account on here so you can make threads bashing Yen-Hsun Lu. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Virtuafan81

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Come on guys, he defeated Wimbledon Dark Horse Sam Querrey in Miami in straights :p
It's not like he doesn't try like Tomic. On top of that Lu used to be a solid Top100 player until 2-3 yrs ago. So his PR use isn't that bad imo.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts