Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Nadal play RG ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 2nd wave of covid-19 has arrived in France, which makes Nadal's appearance pretty doubtful. He never pretended that he pulled out of US Open in order to be fully prepared for Roland-Garros, instead he used the virus card.

The situation became a lot worse in France compared to the moment in which he announced his withdrawal, so you would think that Nadal will stick by what he said and miss RG. Otherwise, Nadal will come accross as a massive hypocrite (regarding the supposed reason of his withdrawal for the HC swing).

·
justice for all
16,244 Posts
Death rate is pretty low and stable since the beginning of July though. So it's certainly less risky than it used to be.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What he actually said:
"The health situation is the first basic inconvenience when making my decision. The situation seems not in full control, so in this case, after consulting with my team, we decided to skip the US Open."
"Second, the schedule is challenging after many months without competing. Going from hardcourt to clay, with hardly any time for preparation, is dangerous for my body and my future"
"If I am going to compete, all my senses have to be focused on competition to perform at my best, and it would have been difficult to achieve that"

So, although he did mention the health situation as a key factor, it wasn't the only one.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
What he actually said:
"The health situation is the first basic inconvenience when making my decision. The situation seems not in full control, so in this case, after consulting with my team, we decided to skip the US Open."
"Second, the schedule is challenging after many months without competing. Going from hardcourt to clay, with hardly any time for preparation, is dangerous for my body and my future"
"If I am going to compete, all my senses have to be focused on competition to perform at my best, and it would have been difficult to achieve that"

So, although he did mention the health situation as a key factor, it wasn't the only one.
That should have been his first reason , because it's a very logical one . However , OP has a point in asking and it certainly would seem hypocritical if things stay this way in France and Nadal show up.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I like how some of you guys are egging it on. Fortunately, Rafa does not pay attention to any of this.

Yes, he is playing RG. Get over it.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Instead of getting worried about your country, you question Rafa's position?

I mean imagine, we have 8K new cases in TR (atm circa 1500 p/day) and that by a miracle RG is located in my homeland, Istanbul. At that exact moment, thinking about rival tennis player's move would be last thing coming into my mind.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yeah either the virus pussified or the way deaths are couted was (is) inconsistent and retarded.
It's more that the newly infected are much younger than the ones infected back in April.

The people at higher risk are taking precautions, while it's the young people who are travelling and going to bars and getting infected.
Also, there are treatments against the virus today that didn't exist before, so that could be helping keeping mortality rates lower.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Where's Fed? Still nursing his knee?
He didn't have two slam titles to defend, back to back, unprecedented fast switch from HC slam to clay slam, so i guess he didn't have that much to lose.
But as a fan, all you can do is bait and troll. Real fans of tennis are talking about the tennis actually being played, not spewing this childish crap.
Classic Fed fanbase bile and resentment. Were it not for covid Rafa would already have 20, on his way to 21. No matter, he'll get them anyway.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
That should have been his first reason , because it's a very logical one . However , OP has a point in asking and it certainly would seem hypocritical if things stay this way in France and Nadal show up.
It's not hyporcritical. He can choose to play whichever tournaments he pleases, it's him that's being penalized--as defender of the USO and FO titles--by this bizarre and unnatural schedule. If he was going to play one only, it was obviously going to be the FO.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
All's well in Turkey!
Nothing's well. And I criticise my govt in the official COVID thread. But France is much worse and the guy is so Nadal obsessed that instead of stressing out about his well being he goes and creates a thread about a foreigner's reaction. Mental.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
He can choose to play whichever tournaments he pleases, it's him that's being penalized--as defender of the USO and FO titles--by this bizarre and unnatural schedule. If he was going to play one only, it was obviously going to be the FO.
In fact I agree with you on this one . I only "disagree" with Nadal approach as his main reason , the public health one , if he isn't going to stay true to his word for RG. Never say some you may not hold up later . There is most frequently ONE main reason for everything , the "selfish" ones , multiple reasons more often than not don't add up for making a point/taking decisions.

As the other poster said it's not bad to state selfish reasons more when in fact you are right , the covid calendar is a mess for those who want to contend at both slams at an advanced age.

The rest is perfectly understandable and intelligent on Nadal's part.

·
Registered
13,865 Posts
I somehow doubt that Nadal will care that he comes off as a massive hypocrite. It wouldn't be the first time.

And yeah, everyone already knows the real reason for the USO absence was to protect his knees. It was the smart decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts