Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading (or sorta reading) this thread and it got me thinking. "People make so many excuses for when player X loses to player Y." And at the same time, people will refute those excuses when the shoe is on the other foot.

I've always believed that unless there were exceptional circumstances, a win is a win and a loss is a loss and that there is essentially no valid excuse for whenever a player loses a match (and if I haven't, let me take this time to withdraw any excuse I have made). To make an excuse is to posit the idea that "but for" the circumstances, the player wouldn't have lost. But since there is absolutely no way to prove that, you're just pushing for a hypothetical to be accepted as a fact. Nobody is perfect so taking a win for granted is ridiculous. The tour doesn't recognize hypothetical matches and when the shoe is on the other foot, you wouldn't, either. So it's a hypocritical, pointless, and intellectually dishonest "discussion".

Not to mention that just because player X may be going through something, who's to say that player Y isn't, either? Just because you don't announce your business to the world, it doesn't mean that you're not having issues. Player X isn't some special little flower where only bad things happen to him, and no one else. I frequently play tennis and the one thing that annoys me the most is when my opponent tells me about some random injury that they've been dealing with. Cool story, bro. I have shoulder pains and a sore foot, but I'm not going to complain about it. Just the other day, I was essentially playing with just one contact lens but I didn't try to work a sob story. And when you do mention it, it becomes a battle of the excuses in an effort to prove whose excuse is "more valid". It reminds me of a commercial I saw the other day:

If you're out here, you obviously don't have much concern for your "injury", so why should I or anybody else? If I didn't think I could win, I wouldn't have stepped onto the court. I've won while injured. I've also lost while injured. Excuses are just ways to have your cake and eat it, too: if you win, you're this amazing spartan that can overcome adversity, and when you lose, it doesn't count. A win-win, so to speak. But there is no such thing as a win-win in sports. The ATP isn't going to award/take away points because you think you came up with a "valid" excuse, so it's pointless to argue for it. All things considered, it's NOT valid.

You have to EARN your victories. None of them are guaranteed.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Okay, so French Open 2015 Final and Quarter-Final there are no excuses...
or any of Novak's losses at the French...ever.
Also, no excuses for Novak's loss to Kei
No excuses for the 2012 US Open loss either...

And there are no excuses for Roger's losses at any of the slams either...
But I know you and other Noletards, and other Fedtards are gonna come in here and make excuses.

Let the mud-slinging tard wars begin...again.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
MTF would've been gone if everybody had agreed on this. No Rafito had a broken nail, no Wogie had a common cold, no No1e had an allergy to wind. No Peak Feddy 2013 vs Peak Djoki 2009 vs Peak Rafito 2015. You can't do this, we need these lies for us to believe that our favorite is the best.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts

But I know you and other Noletards, and other Fedtards are gonna come in here and make excuses.

I agree, unless a player gets a serious injury during a match, then there is no injury excuse for losing. Years ago the Aussies had a rule that if you go on court to play, you should not make excuses that you were not at your physical best before the match. Play the match, and if you lose, keep quiet and make NO excuses.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts

Nope. I was the first one to congratulate to Wawrinka when he won RG beating Djokovic. No excuses. I congratulated to Rafa, Fed, Murray and many other players when they won their majors.

I don't live because of Djokovic and he does not pay my bills (too bad though ;)).

Now, talking about tards, they are in all camps. Do not tell me that there are only Nole tards on this forum. Novak hasn't even had any fans here back in old days. There were a couple of us.

I can name many names here belonging to other 'camps' but I will not. Oh, Pepita and Slade just came to my mind ;).

Mimic has a point. You lose or you win. Simple bro. I've kept saying that forever. It's one on one in tennis (well, unless you play doubles :)).

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
To be fair, the players themselves rarely make excuses (there are one or two exceptions) - it's the fans on here who come up with the excuses. Or sometimes they are just trying to explain the reason one player didn't play at his best.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Nope. I was the first one to congratulate to Wawrinka when he won RG beating Djokovic. No excuses. I congratulated to Rafa, Fed, Murray and many other players when they won their majors.

I don't live because of Djokovic and he does not pay my bills (too bad though ;)).

Now, talking about tards, they are in all camps. Do not tell me that there are only Nole tards on this forum. Novak hasn't even had any fans here back in old days. There were a couple of us.

I can name many names here belonging to other 'camps' but I will not. Oh, Pepita and Slade just came to my mind ;).

Mimic has a point. You lose or you win. Simple bro. I've kept saying that forever. It's one on one in tennis (well, unless you play doubles :)).
That's why I also included Fedtards...did you read my post? I was giving delusional Noletards and delusional Fedtards the same shade. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
No. A win is a loss and a loss is a win. Period. :D

It appears that Wawrinka, Rafa, Fed, Murray and many other major winners pay your bills. :rolleyes:

You used the word "many". :) How many other major winners are there, btw? :scratch:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Quite funny coming from a Novak fan. His fanbase use excuses more than peak Nadal tards lately. Here are some gems I've seen from them:

heat, cold, sand, wind, tiredness, unmotivated, slippery shoes, slippery surface, rigged draws, rigged scheduling, rigged crowd, tanking, gifting matches, rigged umpiring, rigged watering of courts, rigged line judges, general conspiracies against Eastern Europeans.

Am I missing any?

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Quite funny coming from a Novak fan. His fanbase use excuses more than peak Nadal tards lately. Here are some gems I've seen from them:

heat, cold, sand, wind, tiredness, unmotivated, slippery shoes, slippery surface, rigged draws, rigged scheduling, rigged crowd, tanking, gifting matches, rigged umpiring, rigged watering of courts, rigged line judges, general conspiracies against Eastern Europeans.

Am I missing any?
contact lense complications

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Apparently none of Federer's wins count because Federer winning is proof it's a weak era.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
the OP got it right unless it was on murray's racquet.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts

There are certainly reasons for a win or a loss, but there shouldn't be any excuses. It's a small but significant difference in my opinion.

For example, when Djokovic lost to Nishikori at the USO last year, I can safely say that Novak was playing very bad tennis, by his standards at least. That is, IMO, the main reason why he lost. But that doesn't excuse his loss, nor should it detract from Kei's success. It's Novak's fault that he didn't play his best.

Similarly, it's Federer's own fault that he didn't play as well in the Wimbledon final as he did in the SF, therefore this is not an excuse for his loss.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Apparently none of Federer's wins count because Federer winning is proof it's a weak era.
Is it a coincidence that he went 14-1 in slam finals against Roddick, Safin, Gonzalez, Baghdadis, Old Agassi, Philipoussis, Hewitt, overrated Murray, etc.?

But he went 3-8 in slam finals against the 2 real Goat rivals Nadal and Djokovic, with his 3 wins coming in 2006 and 2007 when Nadal was barely starting to get better on grass while Djokovic was not a slam champion yet?

Sorry but he was Weakerer in the start of his career winning against a weak field, and then when Nadal and Djokovic came into their owns, he became Vulterer winning the leftovers.

Yeah a win is a win, but we are not robots, it's important to analyze the wins because we humans have brains. Quality will always beat quantity.

·
Registered
17,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know that's only brought up whenever people start circle jerking about what "peak Federer" would have done, right? :stupid:

How do you think the era discussion even gets brought up? Because people love to talk about how dominant Federer was :stupid:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts