Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course it is just French point of view, because I am too lazy to read English.

Newspapers like Le Monde is still bashing and L'Equipe journalists are too...

But some interviews are spreading another point of view.

Mahut said he has mixed feelings but globally you can feel he is nostalgic.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Nicolas-mahut-apres-l-elimination-de-la-france-en-coupe-davis/1082437

Paire said that he loves the new format but some time is needed to improve it.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Benoit-paire-sur-le-nouveau-format-de-la-coupe-davis-laissez-le-temps-au-produit/1082427

Tsonga said that competition is more difficult because a lot of teams and a lot of good players to face in a short period of time even if there is a lot to improve.

Of course all of them said about the lack of crowd and the low emotion because of it, but are praising the competition generated with that new format.

Maybe some other MTFer can share different opinions from different countries.

·
Premium Member
9,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Personnally I hated the previous format because I found really unfair that for instance Spain can defeat easy peasy AUstralia because playing on clay and Australia can defeat Spain because on grass on following meeting.... Ruining the other team because surface was too favouring.

I was not keen on this format too because of RR and best second qualified when they have not met same opponents than other seconds.

But I am pretty sure, provided they manage to create one only Team Event, that a one week or a two weeks Event is the perfect way to attract non Tennis Crowd.... I mean not people following Tennis regularly like MTFers but average Mr Smith Mr Dupont Mr Schmid or Mr Li.
Because there are more people in the World that are not fan of any player than Federer fans or Nadal fans or Djokovic fans even if you add the three of them.
IMO Nations are still speaking to a lot of people, and specially to those non Tennis people.
Just look at Soccer World Chpships, people in pubs are not gathering with Neymar or Mbappe tricot but with their own National one.

All dying sports, even those like Rugby where only 6 Teams in the World can perform, or Handball which is a European Sport or Volley, managed to attract attention by making a special World Championships.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
MY impressions so far is that there's way less interest, energy around the matches, due to lack of home ties.
I see your point, Nepoz, about choice of surface favouring home team in a big way (though not every time!).
It just seems like less of an event due to BO3 rather 5 matches, and lack of big crowds. I couldn't even figure out from the DC website how players are chosen for OOP--one poster here said the higher ranked player much play 2nd. So they've done a really poor job on the website as well.

So far, I'm not that impressed, even though my country is doing great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts