Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The H2H is always the most divided subject over here. Some people outright deny it any importance at all. But for the sake of this topic lets not go there lets accept that H2H has some importance at least.

I want to address the problem of age which brings a lot of disagreements into the matter. A 23 year old prime player beating an 18 year old baby or a 27 year old prime player beating a 32 year old near retirement player. This according to many people disrupts the fairness of the H2H score. So I suggest that regardless of a player's career cycle we decide on absolute numbers that a player's H2H would only "count" those matches which were played at a specified age AND the opponent in question would also fall in that age.

I propose an age of 20-29 being the age where we should actually take the H2H score seriously. Meaning both players were within that age when the match was played. If that isn't the case then we don't consider that match counting towards the H2H score. Which means we should not care about the total career H2H score but deduce the score between 20-29. And once a player gets to 30 the H2H battles for that player are "closed".

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
How about those that peak after 30?
Maybe determine the best 10 seasons for each player, and only count matches that were played when each player was in one of their respective 10 best years.

There are other issues with H2H though, such as an imbalance in which surface is played on. Ideally you would have a pair of players play 1 match on hard, 1 on grass, and 1 on clay every season. Or maybe numbers that are more in proportion to the number of tournaments on each surface. As it is, a top player that is very poor on surface X doesn't play any matches on that surface against other top players because of seedings and the fact he loses early on that surface. Also, when a top player has a period of poor form, he won't get to play other top players, so others do not get the chance to get wins against him. So H2H is a strongly biased statistic.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Age is a factor that contributes to one's prime playing days, it is not in and of itself an accurate measure of one's prime playing days.

As such, any appeal to age without an additional qualification of what the importance of this reference is (whether stated or implied) is incomplete and might as well be ignored.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
I dont like to judge on numbers alone. Federer, Wawrinka, Agassi and many others have all peaked on their 30s.

·
Registered
865 Posts
According to any standard, Fedtards can not fill the gap between Rafa and Fed H2H wise. For Novak I believe they could find some excuse.I could see Frauderer always turn helpless against real hero not the big mouse joke Roddick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts