Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although Federer eventually won the tournament, I don't have the feeling it was his Wimbledon. It feels like he only played the one match, whilst all the exciting stuff happened elsewhere with mainly Djokovic and Nadal. Overall I felt it was a really weird tournament, with unexpected exciting matches and major blowouts (semifinals anyone?) due to the schedule/rain.

Also they slowed down the court so much, hitting winners was almost impossible for anyone not named Gasquet (93 against Roddick alone). I've seen 40 shot rallies at this year's Wimbledon and ,although it takes some getting used to, in evaluating the tournament the organisation must feel like their mission is accomplished: longer rallies and fair game for everyone without a big serve, allowing different kinds of players to go deep in the tournament.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
This was undoubtadely one of the worst Wimbledons in recent years. Maybe even worse than 2002 although itis tough to diferentiate between them.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Three amazing matches came out of this - Roddick/Gasquet, Soderling/Nadal and Federer/Nadal.

Horrible conditions, awful bounces, lovely competitions.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Although Federer eventually won the tournament, I don't have the feeling it was his Wimbledon. It feels like he only played the one match, whilst all the exciting stuff happened elsewhere with mainly Djokovic and Nadal. Overall I felt it was a really weird tournament, with unexpected exciting matches and major blowouts (semifinals anyone?) due to the schedule/rain.

Also they slowed down the court so much, hitting winners was almost impossible for anyone not named Gasquet (93 against Roddick alone). I've seen 40 shot rallies at this year's Wimbledon and ,although it takes some getting used to, in evaluating the tournament the organisation must feel like their mission is accomplished: longer rallies and fair game for everyone without a big serve, allowing different kinds of players to go deep in the tournament.
Perhaps it was a little slow, but if the courts were as quick as they used to be it'd be scandalous, players serve so much quicker these days it would be an absolute snorefest.

I actually thought the court played nicely, coming to the net at the right time had its advantages and I don't agree you couldn't hit winners, the final had around 120 of them :shrug: Also, the show courts were slower than the outside courts.

The rain was frustrating and the scheduling was pisspoor, but I don't think it was such a bad Wimbledon.

·
29,584 Posts
Djoko-Baggy, Gasquet-Roddick and Federer-Nadal were among the best GS matches I've watched in the past few years. In terms of quality of tennis it was high and definitely usurped RG.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Perhaps it was a little slow, but if the courts were as quick as they used to be it'd be scandalous, players serve so much quicker these days it would be an absolute snorefest.
Slower then before they should be, but not this slower

And most importantly, forcing high-bouncing surface is this years feature that has nothing to do with slowing down of previous years. You can't help but think it was done specificaly to boost Nadal's chances in matches like this finals

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Difficult conditions, tough with the wind and all the rain delays but...some wonderful tennis matches this year. It delivered the goods with the standard of tennis, the fight that went on, the heart several players showed in tough situations.

Regardless of how frustrating it has been, I always feel sad at 9pm on the second Sunday, when I know it's being packed back up into mothballs for another year.

And I don't care what people have to say about the speed of the courts, the balls, the racquets...whatever. It always feels like Wimbledon. It did in the 90s when it was dangerously close to being an Ace contest, and it does now where it can rival clay for long rallies and gruelling physical matches.

Because the way players have played has constantly changed and adapted over the years. People act like serve-volley is the only way tennis has been played until this past decade. It hasn't, and the current style the players play may come and go, but the pillars of the sport, the Grand Slams, transcend the fads and fashions and retain their own unique identities and their own special auras. That was true 30 years ago, and it will still be true 30 years from now.

·
29,584 Posts
Slower then before they should be, but not this slower

And most importantly, forcing high-bouncing surface is this years feature that has nothing to do with slowing down of previous years. You can't help but think it was done specificaly to boost Nadal's chances in matches like this finals
Yeah and you believe that last sentence :haha:

The courts get slower over the two weeks with the turf damage.

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
This was undoubtadely one of the worst Wimbledons in recent years. Maybe even worse than 2002 although itis tough to diferentiate between them.
Yes the rain was annoying but the quality and drama of the matches, on both mens and women side was as good as I've seen in any grand slam for a long time.

Best Wimbledon since 2001 IMO.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Some of u are a bunch of ding dongs.The fact that Federer only had 12 forehand winners after 4 sets, tells u something!!!!This shit is slow as molasses.Last year it was quick but not this year.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
meh

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
OF COURSE it was slower than last year - it has not got above 23C in Wimbledon ALL TOURNAMENT and it has pissed it down solidly.

The ground wouldn't have been as firm and the grass wouldn't have dried out as much....and the final today was cooler than the final last year.

So it was bound to be slower. This is supposed to prove what, exactly? I think the tournament would have preferred 28C all two weeks and the courts would have played faster then. But that's not what we got.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Overall it was a bad Wimbledon because so many days were almost washouts but the days which got good play got GREAT play apart from yesterday. Some phenomenal matches saved this Wimbledon from being dire and it finished with a bang.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Some of u are a bunch of ding dongs.The fact that Federer only had 12 forehand winners after 4 sets, tells u something!!!!This shit is slow as molasses.Last year it was quick but not this year.
It tells you more about the current state of his forehand. It has been alarmingly bad(by his standards) since the AO.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The weather was awful, but overall this Wimbledon was very exciting.

Us Brits had Moya/Henman and Lopez/Henman to roll back the years. Plus, you had the best matches of the tournament in Soderling/Nadal, Djokovic/Baghdatis, Roddick/Gasquet and Nadal/Federer.

Overall, a very good Wimbledon match wise.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
the organisation must feel like their mission is accomplished: longer rallies and fair game for everyone without a big serve, allowing different kinds of players to go deep in the tournament.
As if the hardcourt slams didn't serve that purpose already. :(

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
The weather and scheduling messed up the tournament big time but the final was thoroughly satisfying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts