Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six face kidnap charges in torture case

The list of horrors allegedly endured by a woman at the hands of six people in a remote trailer grew during the suspects' court hearings -- leaving the woman's mother sobbing.

Reading Tuesday from a statement 20-year-old Megan Williams gave deputies the day she was rescued from the ramshackle home, a sheriff's deputy said she had been stabbed with what she described as a butcher knife and beaten with wooden sticks and fly swatters.

She said she was sexually assaulted, doused with hot water, forced to eat animal feces, and taunted with racial slurs.

Among the new allegations, she said hot wax was poured on her, and that two of her captors forced her to drink a cup of their urine.

Carmen Williams, the victim's mother, left the preliminary hearing of one of the defendants in tears Tuesday after listening to what her daughter allegedly experienced.

Charges against most of the six suspects were upgraded Tuesday. All six, who are white, now face charges of kidnapping, which carries a maximum life sentence. Four of the defendants had faced lesser charges before Tuesday's filings.

Megan Williams' statement said the defendants told her they didn't like black people and that they were going to hang her, though no hate crime charges were filed.

"They told me if I tried to get out they was going to hit me and stuff. I was scared of them," Logan County Sheriff's Deputy Jeffrey Robinette read from Williams' statement.

Some of Williams' supporters have urged the state to file hate crime counts. Prosecutors have not ruled out such a move but have said they are focused on crimes with the toughest penalties and note that the maximum sentence for a hate crime is just 10 years.

CNN and The Associated Press generally do not identify suspected victims of sexual assault, but Williams and her mother agreed to release her name. Carmen Williams said she wanted people to know what her daughter had endured.

Megan Williams' ordeal ended when an anonymous tip led police to the home September 8. Deputies are still trying to determine how long Williams was held.

Kidnapping and sexual assault charges, along with additional counts of battery, were filed against Karen Burton, 46; her daughter, Alisha Burton, 23; and George A. Messer, 27, all of Chapmanville. They also face additional counts of battery.

Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, now faces a kidnapping charge that carries life in prison. He originally was charged with sexual assault and malicious wounding. Prosecutors added two more sexual assault charges, which each carry a maximum of 35 years in prison.

Three counts of misdemeanor battery were added to the charges against Frankie Brewster, who owns the home where the suspected assault took place. She also is charged with kidnapping, first-degree sexual assault and giving false information to police. An unlawful malicious wounding charge was dropped.

In a statement to deputies, Brewster detailed her role and implicated others, saying "I just want to come clean." Brewster also is accused of forcing Williams to perform oral sex on her.

A sixth defendant, Bobby Brewster, 24, who is the son of Frankie Brewster, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of a felony. Police have said he had a previous relationship with Williams.

Williams said in her statement Tuesday that she was ****d at knifepoint by Combs in the trailer's bathroom, tied with a cable cord and choked by Karen Burton, doused with hot wax by Messer, and stabbed by Bobby Brewster.

Sheriff's Deputy Rick Goodman testified Tuesday that Brewster told deputies that the six defendants were afraid to let Williams go because she might tell on them. They also talked about killing her.

Karen Burton, who was arraigned by video teleconference from jail, said, "Oh, hell no," when informed of the sexual assault charge against her. The other defendants said only "yes, sir" and "no, sir" during their arraignments.

In another courtroom Tuesday, Megan Williams answered outstanding warrants from three counties charging her with crimes involving worthless checks. She was released on $8,000 bond.

Williams, who clutched a small teddy bear in court, was wearing a brace on her right hand and a bandage on her left ankle. She was accompanied by her parents, and her mother held her through portions of the proceeding. Williams' mother also accompanied her during a brief period in a holding cell.

Hearings on the charges will be held in each county. Williams' father, Matthew, told Magistrate Ward Harshbarger, "She'll be there."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/19/woman.tortured.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authorities decided Wednesday not to pursue hate crime charges in the kidnapping and weeklong torture of a black woman, instead going after the suspects, who are white, on state charges that carry stiffer penalties.

While federal civil rights or state hate crime charges remain an option, a state kidnapping count that carries a sentence of up to life in prison will provide the best chance for successful prosecution, officials said.

"As a practical matter, sentenced to life, what else can be done?" U.S. Attorney Charles T. Miller told The Associated Press.

Six people face charges, including kidnapping, sexual assault and lying to police in the torture of Megan Williams, 20, at a remote hillside home in Big Creek.

State hate crime charges, which carry a sentence of 10 years, could come later, prosecutor Brian Abraham said. State sexual assault charges carry a penalty up to 35 years in prison.

The woman's captors forced her to eat rat droppings, choked her with a cable cord and stabbed her in the leg while calling her a racial slur, according to criminal complaints. They also poured hot water over her, made her drink from a toilet, and beat and sexually assaulted her during a span of about a week, the documents say.

Williams was not a random target, prosecutor Brian Abraham said Wednesday. She had a "social relationship" with one of the suspects, he said.

"She has a history of kind of drifting off every once in awhile, and so I just thought she was just running around town," her mother, Carmen Williams, told CBS affiliate WOWK.

News organizations don't usually release the names of victims of sexual abuse, but in this case, Megan's mother says she wants people to know the horror that was done to her daughter, reports CBS News correspondent Susan McGinnis.

"I want other parents and other mothers to realize, I guess, that people are out there like that, keep a close eye on their children. You never think it would happen to your child. Obviously, I never thought that, but here we are," Carmen Williams told WOWK.

At one point, a suspect cut the woman's ankle with a knife and used the N-word in telling her she was victimized because she is black, according to the complaints.

It wasn't until an anonymous tip led Logan County sheriff's deputies to the property on Saturday that her ordeal ended, authorities said. She limped toward the deputies, her arms outstretched as she cried, "Help me," officials said.

Williams remained hospitalized Wednesday in Charleston. The hospital declined to release any information about her condition.

The victim had a previous relationship with Bobby Brewster, one of the six in custody, Abraham said. He was charged in July with domestic battery and assault after a domestic dispute involving the same woman.

"She obviously had some sort of social relationship," Abraham said. "That is based on the fact that she was present at his residence on a prior date."

The suspects have arrest records going back several years, according to records from Logan County Magistrate Court, and Abraham said was familiar with all of them.

"Most of the charges are minor things," Abraham said. "Basically on weekends they get in trouble and by the middle of the week they make up with each other."

Since 1991, police have filed 108 criminal charges against the six.

Brewster's mother, Frankie Brewster, 49, faced the most serious charges among them. She was charged in 1994 with first-degree murder but pleaded guilty to manslaughter and wanton endangerment. She was released from prison in 2000 after serving five years in the death of an 84-year-old woman, court records show.

In Williams' case, Frankie Brewster is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and giving false information during a felony investigation.

Bobby Brewster, 24, also of Big Creek, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of a felony.

In March, Brewster was accused in criminal complaints of attacking his mother with a machete at her home, according to court records. The outcome of those charges - domestic assault, brandishing a deadly weapon and obstructing an officer - was not immediately clear.

Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, is charged with sexual assault and malicious wounding. Karen Burton, 46, of Chapmanville, was charged with malicious wounding, battery and assault during the commission of a felony.

Burton's daughter, Alisha Burton, 23, and George A. Messer, 27, both of Chapmanville, are charged with assault during the commission of a felony and battery. She previously faced charges of assault during the commission of a felony and battery; in May, she was accused of striking Messer with a shovel and smashing the window of a woman's car. The charges are pending.

All six remained in custody Wednesday in lieu of $100,000 cash bail each. Bobby Brewster is scheduled to appear before a Logan County Circuit Court judge on Monday to be arraigned on the kidnapping charge, according to court records. A date for his mother's appearance on the kidnapping charge has not yet been set.

Public defender Dwyane Adkins, appointed to represent Bobby Brewster, and public defender Betty Gregory, appointed to represent Karen Burton, declined to comment. The other defendants' court-appointed lawyers were either in hearings or did not immediately return telephone calls Wednesday.

Neighbors of Megan and Carmen Williams in Charleston recalled the mother as friendly and her daughter as sweet-natured but said they kept largely to themselves.

"They were isolated, in a way," said the Rev. Norman Jones of the Greater Emmanuel Gospel Tabernacle, which Carmen Williams attended. "Carmen was very protective of Megan, so it was hard to know her well."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/12/national/main3253257.shtml
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope these animals get ass-****d in prison so many times that they bleed out of their ears. This is despicable!! :eek: :eek: :eek: What's even worse is the limited coverage this has gotten while OJ Simpson and Michael Vick were front page news. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jim Jones

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I remember hearing this story a couple of months ago when she was found and saved from that house. Ugh...how horrible.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I'd like to write that I didn't have to go ten paragraphs into that story before asking: "why aren't they posting conspiracy charges?'' Criminal conspiracy gets the time...

I didn't finish reading beyond fifteen paragraphs, though.

Sad.

On a tangent: the Scientific American issue of April 2002 shows the world prevalence of slavery. It hasn't gone away.

Slavery charges were brought in Florida against farm-worker management..(Mexican undocumenteds?--I don't remember.)

Slavery charges could be brought against the pimps who brought a lot of Russian cuties into N.Y.C....

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Explain criminal conspiracy to me. :confused:

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
I hope these animals get ass-****d in prison so many times that they bleed out of their ears. This is despicable!! :eek: :eek: :eek: What's even worse is the limited coverage this has gotten while OJ Simpson and Michael Vick were front page news. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Would that particular punishment include the three women involved? That's what I find interesting about this - well, unusual, anyway.

As regards your other point, well, we've seen enough times by now that the tiniest piece of celebrity trivia is more important to the media than the greatest of crimes suffered by the obscure.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would that particular punishment include the three women involved? That's what I find interesting about this - well, unusual, anyway.

As regards your other point, well, we've seen enough times by now that the tiniest piece of celebrity trivia is more important to the media than the greatest of crimes suffered by the obscure.
They ****d her too. One of the women forcde her to perform oral sex on her.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/03/national/main3449015.shtml?source=search_story

Reverend Sharpton's coming to Charleston in eight days...

In re, your question above (hyperlink now fixed):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(crime)
In the criminal law, a conspiracy is an agreement between natural persons to break the law at some time in the future, and, in some cases, with at least one overt act in furtherance of that agreement.
So, if I plan, with an accomplice, to shoot the Presidernt...we're in conspiracy.

If the W, plans with his SS, to blow my head off...I'd better go look for some crisco and a tattoo parlor. ['Cause I'm gonna get forked, and might as well get a tattoo out of it too?--]

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hate crimes should be added. If they are saying racial slurs while stabbing her with rusty knives, that's not racist??

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Hate crimes should be added. If they are saying racial slurs while stabbing her with rusty knives, that's not racist??
Competency, in Law Enforcement, and Prosecution. I can't agree with your vindictiveness towards the defendants...but I agree it's an ugly story.

Michael Benner, an L.A. disc jockey, once said (and I think it was him--) that what most winds you up in others, is what you most have unhealed in yourself.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It seems that it is not isolated case in USA. Teenagers and others shooting at children and other people, presidents, politicians and usual, brute soldiers decimated people civilians, children, insurgens, in other countries in occupation wars. It is sick country in which live real ill, evil people.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Just horrible.

America needs to stop racism as Canada has.
:haha::smash::bigclap:...I love it.

I was going to cut and past a list of Indian Reserves, in Canada...but it grew too long and was too much work editing it.

As to Black/White Racism in Canada, yes, the Underground Railroad did go as far north as Canada. Story ends there. Canada is poorer than the U.S.A. They can be just as bigoted.

Besides, if I were to go hyper-judgemental on o.p.'s post, I'd say she thought we all ought to get our bollocks amputated 'cause we're sex-slavers. (Which still happens...see above. Reference to Scientific American, issue of April 2002. {Just because the British have recently applauded themselves for having done away with slavery, doesn't mean it's so.}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aboriginal_communities_in_Canada
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_reserves_in_Canada_by_population

And blackgirltennis, please don't tell me you get your history from cartoons. Also please tell me that cartoon wasn't a Michael Moore effort, and I've blown my perfect record by sitting even partially through his stuff. :)

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And blackgirltennis, please don't tell me you get your history from cartoons. Also please tell me that cartoon wasn't a Michael Moore effort, and I've blown my perfect record by sitting even partially through his stuff. :)
No, of course not. I get learn history the hard way -- through books, lectures, and history courses. I love history. I just thought the cartoon was kinda funny. :lol: It was a part of a Michael Moore documentary.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Racism very is present in poor places. Take a look at Eastern Europe, Eastern Texas, Russia and the bigoted attitudes over there. Poor people are so lame, they always have to blame the different for their troubles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Racism very is present in poor places. Take a look at Eastern Europe, Eastern Texas, Russia and the bigoted attitudes over there. Poor people are so lame, they always have to blame the different for their troubles.
:tape: :tape: :tape:

You know, "rich" people can be just as bad. The difference is they express their bigotry in a different, more subtle way.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To Jim Jones: I assume he did witness it. If he didn't, is it any worse?? :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts