Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a very sunny first week, things are about to change drastically in Paris. Weather forecast predict cold temperatures, rain and thunderstorms for the whole second week.

How will it affect the remaining players? It will make the balls heavier, hence slowing down the court speed, but also reducing the bounce of the ball.

Nadal will certainly not like it, because his biggest weapon, the topspin, will somewhat be diminished. But still, Nadal has proven over the years that he can cope with any weather conditions.

Federer said prior to the tournament that he hopes for sunny, warm conditions. So I doubt he will be pleased with this. But against Nadal, where he will be the huge underdog, any unorthodox weather may help him.

There are three hard hitters left in the field with Thiem, Wawrinka and Khachanov. Its hard to tell how it will affect them... I can see their power shots being a bit more effective because of the lower bounce.

Djokovic is the one I think can cope best with all possible conditions.

Of course, there are also possible scheduling affects. With match delays more than just possible, a tight schedule could be a huge disadvantage for some players. While Federer today will not play at Center Court, at least he can start early. Nadal, on the other hand, has to wait longer.... its very possible that he will not finish his match tonight.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Thiem plays significantly worse in rainy conditions. Nadal is also a bit less dangerous, but it's still Nadal. Djokovic, Zverev and Wawrinka, I think, have games that are adaptable to cold and rainy conditions. Don't think I've ever seen Khachanov playing in rain.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Cold/rainy conditions make the courts slower but lower bouncing.

Slower = advantage Nadal but lower bouncing = disadvantage Nadal.

I would say overall Federer would prefer quicker sunny conditions, however against Nadal specifically he would probably prefer rainy conditions so that Nadal's topspin forehand doesn't bounce as high on to his single handed backhand. Thiem/Wawrinka would also probably prefer these conditions if they play Rafa, and they have more than enough power to hit through the heavier balls when its raining.

If Thiem/Djokovic play each other in the SF then that is an interesting case. Thiem normally isn't a fan of rain because he relies on heavy topspin like Rafa. However, he finds it easier to generate pace than Novak does so it could possibly be an advantage against the Serb who may struggle to hit through the court.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts

Of course, there are also possible scheduling affects. With match delays more than just possible, a tight schedule could be a huge disadvantage for some players. While Federer today will not play at Center Court, at least he can start early. Nadal, on the other hand, has to wait longer.... its very possible that he will not finish his match tonight.
Nadal could still finish his match earlier than Federer-Wawrinka, if they entered into the 5th set therein, but even if he has to finish his match tomorrow (it is probably 10-15 % chance) it will be two easy training sessions for him and then as easy-peasy SF thereafter against an old-OHBH.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cold/rainy conditions make the courts slower but lower bouncing.

Slower = advantage Nadal but lower bouncing = disadvantage Nadal.

I would say overall Federer would prefer quicker sunny conditions, however against Nadal specifically he would probably prefer rainy conditions so that Nadal's topspin forehand doesn't bounce as high on to his single handed backhand. Thiem/Wawrinka would also probably prefer these conditions if they play Rafa, and they have more than enough power to hit through the heavier balls when its raining.

If Thiem/Djokovic play each other in the SF then that is an interesting case. Thiem normally isn't a fan of rain because he relies on heavy topspin like Rafa. However, he finds it easier to generate pace than Novak does so it could possibly be an advantage against the Serb who may struggle to hit through the court.
Excellent analysis. The bar is set for this thread, MTF, don't let me down.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I don't think Federer is huge underdog against Nadal in potential SF. Nadal is beating people with short - medium rallies and often folds in long ones. He's no longer a machine that can go on and on forever.

Maybe I'm delusional, but Federer is better at blitzkrieg tennis than him and has the confidence from consecutive victories over him. If it isn't hot and sunny, I can see Federer making it competitive. It would be a weird if Federer does worse than Goffin. Maybe if Nadal gets to another gear, but he played worse than in Rome so far, as if tank is not so deep anymore.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I don't think Federer is huge underdog against Nadal in potential SF. Nadal is beating people with short - medium rallies and often folds in long ones. He's no longer a machine that can go on and on forever.

Maybe I'm delusional, but Federer is better at blitzkrieg tennis than him and has the confidence from consecutive victories over him. If it isn't hot and sunny, I can see Federer making it competitive. It would be a weird if Federer does worse than Goffin. Maybe if Nadal gets to another gear, but he played worse than in Rome so far, as if tank is not so deep anymore.
I don't think Federer would put in danger his Wimb preparations by giving his all vs Nadal here, whereas Nadal if needed, would give his all like there's no tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I'm more worried about the schedule. It could be a total washout tomorrow (large-scale precipitation), which will affect one half of the draw. Today there will be severe convective storms so it could be a washout as well (but maybe not, it depends on storms placement). Oh, and Friday could be bad again.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
One set for Federer would not change much.
The longer he keeps him on court, the better. Nadal already spent 2 hours and 22 minutes longer than Novak on court. I want them to meet on equal terms for once (or better for Novak if possible), if they both make the final.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Personally I think Roger has a better chance when he only has to battle his opponent and not also the conditions. Roger is a player who takes the ball early and doing that relies on excellent timing, and poor weather can effect that pretty drastically. It's much easier to not only execute but think about what you need to do, when you're not also thinking about the rain and the wind.

Sure the conditions might make it different/harder for other players like Stan or Rafa to play their game, but personally I think Roger would prefer clean weather so he can just go out and play his game confidently.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Isn't the new court has a cover? Also, if it rains, good news for y. Novak likes rain but not rafa :banghead:

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Rarely seen Nadal as hopeless at RG as last year during rainy damp conditions, against Schwartzman.

Or 2012 RG Final against Djokovic 3S during rain.

His topspin just had no effect.

Horrible news.

Abandon tournament.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Sure the conditions might make it different/harder for other players like Stan or Rafa to play their game, but personally I think Roger would prefer clean weather so he can just go out and play his game confidently.
Clean yes (I think he's paranoid about injuring himself at this stage of his career too), but colder and not sunny would suit him. Nadal can play very safe shot (not too deep) with huge bounce to his bh when it's hot and dry, so Federer either has to give up the baseline or hit his bh from very uncomfortable height.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Rarely seen Nadal as hopeless at RG as last year during rainy damp conditions, against Schwartzman.

Horrible news.

Abandon tournament.
i doubt if all his wins (at least in the final) were all sunny days?

1 - 20 of 152 Posts