Mens Tennis Forums banner

What kind of mtf would you want to have?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sadly all these forum changes are based on performance improving: What does that mean? Just avoid spam the most you can. Hence most of the stuff like signatures are incredibly restricted. Otoh this improves also the possibilities for ads since VS has been in a dire financial state this year.

Hence minimising service to the cheapest was their way how to handle it. Now we’re connected to every other vs forum just like the Wrestling forum and many others. The change to the new forum software was poor as well and the current service isn’t helpful at all. This place just got massively devalued by its same company.
I love that signatures are collapsed. On the previous forum I used Stylish browser extension to remove them completely because reading a thread felt like 50% ridiculously long signatures.

·
justice for all
12,903 Posts
What we had before this was already that option, i.e. old forum with updated technology; however they wanted to move away from vB forums, so I guess that technology went as far as it could.
Fair enough.
I think the forum migration might be an additional reason to lose some posters - those who are not willing to adapt to the new layout/ functionalities and got discouraged - but the ultimate problem for stagnation and less traffic is not enough new blood joining in.
Cause you are certainly closer to where decisions are made do you have any knowledge if the owners of this electronic establishment do enough to promote the forum/ recruit new users? I mean things like: SEM, SEO, online advertising on Social Media, etc?
Also there is many things the users could do themselves to help the forum gain newcomers, things like WOM for example.
This is a topic related to another thread set up by @Cloren in off-topic.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I love that signatures are collapsed. On the previous forum I used Stylish browser extension to remove them completely because reading a thread felt like 50% ridiculously long signatures a lot of the time.
vBulletin has had an option to switch signatures off for at least the last 15 years, no browser extensions required.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
vBulletin has had an option to switch signatures off for at least the last 15 years, no browser extensions required.
Really? I had a look and couldn't find one. Besides the collapsed signatures are a better idea anyway because it makes viewing or not viewing a signature convenient.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Old layout signatures, old emojis and especially BAD REPS are sorely missed imo. ?

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
The stability is likely because it's using Cloudflare now instead of its own servers. I don't think vBulletin is any less secure than this new XenForo.
Xenforo is more secure and better looking. The problem is mtf chose a theme that is really bad. It looks very plain. You can take a look at the site in my signature or the xenforo forum itself. It looks better than this theme.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Yeah, bad reps used to be kinda fun.
Bad reps were pathetic to be fair, and quite cowardly so. I think i have only given one or two in more than 10 years using this forum.

I miss the good reps, even though they diminished drastically with the implementation of the like system.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Bad reps were pathetic to be fair, and quite cowardly so. I think i have only given one or two in more than 10 years using this forum.

I miss the good reps, even though they diminished drastically with the implementation of the like system.
I never gave a bad rep to anyone, but seeing some of the bitter and pathetic bad reps in my control panel could be quite entertaining at times.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Old MTF was the better visually and its not even close. But i also get that it was limited and not very modern. But then again, it had everything a simple forum need, no one was asking for some super cool features anyways. So i vote old one, but if they can change new board to look close to the old one i wouldnt mind that (sort of like you could chose themes in the past with classic blue being my choice).

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Are all online forums going to this junk design? Tennis Forum sucks. Wrestling Forum sucks. MTF sucks. I doubt SBRForum changes though. There will be some irate gamblers if it happens there too.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

Rep system is great in principle - it's just used improperly. People are supposed to be punished for bad posts and rewarded for good ones. Which will show in the amount of reputation they have. "Likes" are just Facebook-tier shit; I've never given one out. Rather quote the person and tell them directly I liked the post (which I've done through good reps before, but now I can't).

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Im starting to get used to it. Dark mode of course, I almost got retinal detachment before I discover it existed. It's so much faster...

But I sorely miss some things. First and foremost the old smilies, you could say so much with them, a whole language. I doubt I'll get over it. New ones are lame lame lame... ideal for PopCon.

I miss clicking on number of replies and getting the list of posters in that topic, how many posts each and then clicking on that the posts themselves of that poster. I miss the list of members online on first page. I miss reps but I'll get over it.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts