Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Popcon be allowed to move into GM?

• Popcon should be allowed to move to GM

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • Popcon should stay in the Ruins.

Votes: 7 29.2%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this idea posted in the Ruins and figured I'd shared it with MTF and get ideas.

Look, the ruins is a great idea, because it allows a place for everyone to post whatever they want and say almost whatever they want. The term ruins in MTF is also sacred and has been around since the dawn of this forum.

Ruins according to MTF Urban Dictionary: An a event or occurrence that puts someone in a state of distress (pain) , frustration or dissatisfaction. The thing is the Ruins is meant to instill this feeling in a poster. GM also can put posters in Ruins, but the problem is that GM is the bread and butter of MTF.

ACC is fine as is and makes sense being in the ruins.... but why not once a year move PopCon into GM? I imagine 80% of views on this website are in GM and I'm sure @Steve could confirm this. I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers who do not only come to MTF to read our brilliant and terrible opinions on players.... but also come to read the personalities who post them!

Popcon is a celebration of all the good on MTF and putting it into the Ruins seems like a shame. Would you like PopCon to stay in the Ruins, be allowed to move into GM or other option?

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
Yes, PopCon should be held in GM.

Active ACC threads also should imo. They can be moved to Ruins when the contest closes.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Administrator
12,009 Posts
TF does it in Non-Tennis, iirc. That’s another option, but I agree. It’d be better for Popcon if it was in GM for the sake of activity. ACC I think is better in The Ruins.

·
Super Moderator
9,397 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Yes, PopCon in GM is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,397 Posts
The only way to save this PopCon is to hold R4 on to finals here in GM. At least we'd have like 30-40 people at best

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
The only way to save this PopCon is to hold R4 on to finals here in GM. At least we'd have like 30-40 people at best
Yes. Worth a shot at the very least.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Helps get PopCon into GM.

Loses R3. o_O . I'm not Dimitrov

Reactions: skytennis

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
20,674 Posts
TF does it in Non-Tennis, iirc. That’s another option, but I agree. It’d be better for Popcon if it was in GM for the sake of activity. ACC I think is better in The Ruins.
So did MTF before the Ruins section was invented.

I made this point years ago when PopCon was first moved there. The Ruins has less strict rules and being insulting/abusive is allowed: MTF users were told, "if you don't like that sort of thing, don't go into that subforum." But then, they took an event that pre-dates the Ruins and moved into that section, where abuse is allowed and moderation nearly non-existent... which basically took PopCon away from long-time users who'd played for years but didn't want to participate in the Ruins.

You could say the same about ACC, but given the nature of that contest, it makes more sense.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
This semi-glorified popularity contest has absolutely nothing to do with tennis, the game itself, which is the primary qualification for GM.

However, I do agree that it does not need to be in the Ruins.

The poll option should read, "Popcon should move to Non-Tennis forum". So, mods, please delete the current poll and create a new one with the correct option.

If the contest can't stand up on its own outside of GM, then it probably should just be buried anyway.

Correctly,
masterclass

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This semi-glorified popularity contest has absolutely nothing to do with tennis, the game itself, which is the primary qualification for GM.

However, I do agree that it does not need to be in the Ruins.

The poll option should read, "Popcon should move to Non-Tennis forum". So, mods, please delete the current poll and create a new one with the correct option.

If the contest can't stand up on its own outside of GM, then it probably should just be buried anyway.

Correctly,
masterclass

Masterclass if you won , the story would be a little different.

Doesn't it sound just a little bit delicious?

Robbie Koenig voice: "HE'S DONE IT!""MASTERCLASS PUTTING ON A MASTERCLASS" "A TOP DRAW PERFORMANCE FROM THE VETERAN POSTER"

After all these years , the coveted popcon delivered to one of the all time great posters ... Masterclass.

Vintage Performance from Masterclass, beating out Chmchelsea 40-39 in the Final set tiebreak. This match will go down in the history books.

Are you sure this doesn't sound good?

Deliciously ,

Kowchi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts