Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, there is the speed of the courts of course.

An even bigger factor though is the empty stadiums. Bots will be unaffected by this as they will just continue to do what is natural to them: Botting down serves. They are not named after the robot for nothing

More gifted players who rely on playing proper tennis to win matches may occasionally lose focus and intensity allowing Bots some easy breaks.

The lack of atmosphere and energy from the stands is a Bot’s dream. Good luck to Raonic, Inser and co in the coming weeks. This is your chance.

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
Yeah, the show courts pretty much always play slower than the outer courts. Currently, I don't believe any of Isner, Anderson, Opelka or Raonic are going to win the USO. Not even by fluke.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are all missing the point. The court speed is NOT the main factor here.

Their real advantage comes from the lack of crowd having no impact on their robotic game style while hindering the performance of actual tennis players at times.

·
Registered
10,808 Posts

Their real advantage comes from the lack of crowd having no impact on their robotic game style while hindering the performance of actual tennis players at times.
Apologies. For a minute I thought you meant to start a serious discussion.

By all means, please do carry on.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Raonic is looking particularly decent this week. I think he'll make the final of Cincy, see if he can maintain form through a slam.
Reminds me of Medvedev really picking up in the weeks before US open last year and it carried him through to the final. Not saying Raonic is going to be get close to that but will be a top 20 seed so can win the early rounds and then he's one to avoid for most bar Djokovic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Though speed matters for bots, I don't think it quite directly translates into good results. A returner with a good reach can use the pace of their own serve. Hard won't offer the skiddiness of grass per se, and recovery post return of serve is easier. Although I do agree with the premise, looking at the bots in the field currently (Isner, Raonic, Opelka, maybe anderson) I think the chance of one winning USO is close to zero. On the other hand, from what's being said about the surface, it seems to be the best for an agile counter puncher (Likes of meddy bear, novak, comebackray). Even players like rublev and agut who are not uncomfortable against pace.

·
Registered
17,841 Posts

I don't get it.

What does the crowd have to do with their serve

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I don't get it.

What does the crowd have to do with their serve
I can see where OP is coming from. I have seen Karlovic being upset at lack of applause after he hit like 3 consecutive aces. Must be similar frustration with other serve bots, even if they don't necessarily show it.

Also, no noise potentially help them serve even better!

·
Registered
17,841 Posts
I can see where OP is coming from. I have seen Karlovic being upset at lack of applause after he hit like 3 consecutive aces. Must be similar frustration with other serve bots, even if they don't necessarily show it.

Also, no noise potentially help them serve even better!

You think after years of playing they get disappointed and their play dips for no applause after serves, opposed to now, where there will definitely be no applause?

Lol.

No noise will make the opponent serve better also.

Nahh, I dont see it.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts

You think after years of playing they get disappointed and their play dips for no applause after serves, opposed to now, where there will definitely be no applause?

Lol.

No noise will make the opponent serve better also.

Nahh, I dont see it.
These players all have their egos.. They all love the applause after hitting a winner. This time there will be an excuse other than bored crowd for them not being applauded like their opponent.

·
Read Only
11,640 Posts
Isner or Raonic may as well win the USO, indeed. Wouldn't be the end of the world tbf. Let them have their year in a pandemic ridden season. Would bode well.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Very, very unlikely. If Novak or Bear don't win the whole thing, I will be shocked.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've heard this Raonic guy is pretty smart. And I guess he must be. Breaking Murray four times in two short sets, simply using his robotic serve ability, no doubt requires a genius-level strategy.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If I had to choose just one 'servebot' to win it all in Nyc, it would easily be Raonic for me.

His game is much more than just your usual botting and he can actually do a lot more on court than anyone resembling someone like Opelka. And this has got absolutely nothing to do with his win over Andy, he looked sharp to me from the beginning of Cincy and also took out a much more boring bot (Querrey - sorry for all his fans that I'm saying this, I don't usually like to mock any players, but if I had to choose the one going farther in the tournament it would definitely be Raonic).

Not that I fancy Raonic that awfully much either, as there's something weird about him for me. His new hairstyle hasn't exactly made things better - but nope, I will not judge a tennis player based on his hairstyle ;), it's just funny he's chosen that style. So that could eventually turn in his favour for me now that I think about it, as he must have a decent sense of humor. I also know that he's a clever guy, so I respect that.

Then again seeing someone like Opelka win a slam. Well, that would just leave me pretty speechless hoping for things to change quickly, hoping that it was just another weird incident of this year of the pandemic.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts