Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
You're correct that a Grand Slam is originally what is nowadays referred to as a Calendar Year Grand Slam. Not sure when Grand Slam was no longer used when referring to winning all 4 tournaments during the same year, but these days the problem is that Grand Slam is also used when talking about simply any of the 4 tournaments. I wonder if they were initially referred to as Majors, and a Grand Slam was then winning all Majors during a single season? edit. I suppose they were called either majors or Grand Slam Tournaments, but these days people have omitted the 'tournament' part, and simply talk about someone winning a Grand Slam even if it's just one of the 4 tournaments.

I like Calendar Slam over Calendar Year Grand Slam. More concise.
I remember when they were called 'Majors'. Then somebody in the media started calling the individual events 'Grand Slams' and it somehow caught on even though it caused unnecessary confusion. Recently I've heard a few players calling them Majors. That's what they are still sensibly called in golf. No need to fix what isn't broken smh.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts