Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Golddigger
17,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is even more impressive than my stat from yesterday!

GOAT debate settled for once and for all.
We need a name for this. Like the way they say CYGS or CGS

Ideas?

Golden year slam? GYS

Reactions: JettWillSkye

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Objectively:
1. he got helped by Pepe Imaz (Djokovic started his slump after RG)
2. he overplayed at the end of the season and got injured, which kind of drops a shade to this achievement (if he was playing normally and within his abilities, it's questionable would he achieve this)

Other than that, great achievement.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
the Moozza slam

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Almost achieved the full set of points on offer for each type of tournament.

Won 500 event
750 points for Olympic Gold
1000 points for Masters Series title
1500 points for 5-0 record at World Tour Finals
2000 points won for winning slam title.

Just missed that elusive 250 event.Did not vulture enough.

·
Golddigger
17,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Objectively:
1. he got helped by Pepe Imaz (Djokovic started his slump after RG)
2. he overplayed at the end of the season and got injured, which kind of drops a shade to this achievement (if he was playing normally and within his abilities, it's questionable would he achieve this)

Other than that, great achievement.
Forehead Nose Hair Cheek Head

Reactions: aselto and Ilkae

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,159 Posts
CYGS is to differentiate it from career grand slam (CGS). And this is not too new, is at least since Agassi won it in 1999 they created the other term AFAIK and changed the abbreviation for the calendar (year) grand slam.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
November-December 2016 was the best time to be a Murray fan because you could say 'Big 4' without any fear of getting backlash from Big 3 fans!

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
The Golden Skittles.

·
Premium Member
12,366 Posts
I admit that I have trouble with this new nomenclature by initials.
Grand Slam is Grand Slam.
Admit "CGS" for "career grand slam " but Y for year is unnecessary since Grand Slam involves in the year.
CYGS is to differentiate it from career grand slam (CGS). And this is not too new, is at least since Agassi won it in 1999 they created the other term AFAIK and changed the abbreviation for the calendar (year) grand slam.
You're correct that a Grand Slam is originally what is nowadays referred to as a Calendar Year Grand Slam. Not sure when Grand Slam was no longer used when referring to winning all 4 tournaments during the same year, but these days the problem is that Grand Slam is also used when talking about simply any of the 4 tournaments. I wonder if they were initially referred to as Majors, and a Grand Slam was then winning all Majors during a single season? edit. I suppose they were called either majors or Grand Slam Tournaments, but these days people have omitted the 'tournament' part, and simply talk about someone winning a Grand Slam even if it's just one of the 4 tournaments.

The Grand Slam in tennis is the achievement of winning all four major championships in one discipline in the same calendar year, also referred to as the "Calendar-year Grand Slam" or "Calendar Slam".
I like Calendar Slam over Calendar Year Grand Slam. More concise.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
You're correct that a Grand Slam is originally what is nowadays referred to as a Calendar Year Grand Slam. Not sure when Grand Slam was no longer used when referring to winning all 4 tournaments during the same year, but these days the problem is that Grand Slam is also used when talking about simply any of the 4 tournaments. I wonder if they were initially referred to as Majors, and a Grand Slam was then winning all Majors during a single season? edit. I suppose they were called either majors or Grand Slam Tournaments, but these days people have omitted the 'tournament' part, and simply talk about someone winning a Grand Slam even if it's just one of the 4 tournaments.

I like Calendar Slam over Calendar Year Grand Slam. More concise.
I remember when they were called 'Majors'. Then somebody in the media started calling the individual events 'Grand Slams' and it somehow caught on even though it caused unnecessary confusion. Recently I've heard a few players calling them Majors. That's what they are still sensibly called in golf. No need to fix what isn't broken smh.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts