Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Not in 2012

Votes: 81 69.8%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the new rankings are out and he's at 57. He has few points to defend and his recent play suggests a lot of points to gain between now and the Australian Open. The question is will he be seeded at this slam? If not this one, which of the slams in 2012 if any?

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
I'd be surprised if he continued to climb the rankings, actually.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
It's an interesting point in Don's career. Except for qualis/slam, he just doesn't play in tournaments outside the U.S. Really curious to see if he'll bother with the Asian swing or just duke it out in more American challengers. If it's the latter, the kid won't ever get a seed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Lol...Not in 2012 and not ever.

Don did well in Washington and USO thanks to easy draws where he drew out of form players/weaker competition.

You can't fault him for winning those matches, but in all likely hood he will not crack top 32.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an interesting point in Don's career. Except for qualis/slam, he just doesn't play in tournaments outside the U.S. Really curious to see if he'll bother with the Asian swing or just duke it out in more American challengers. If it's the latter, the kid won't ever get a seed.
at his new ranking hell never have to play challengers again. He said in the Murray postmatch press that he would go on the Asia swing

14 people saying he won't earn any seed in a 2012 slam. A lot of hating when he only is 25 spots away from a seeding

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
He won't have it by the Aussie but with a decent draw or run in the AO, Indian Wells, or Miami and he could definitely get it by the FO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He won't have it by the Aussie but with a decent draw or run in the AO, Indian Wells, or Miami and he could definitely get it by the FO.
That would be either ironic or fitting considering the Don's nearly career killing tweet after not getting a WC in Paris

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
at his new ranking hell never have to play challengers again. He said in the Murray postmatch press that he would go on the Asia swing

14 people saying he won't earn any seed in a 2012 slam. A lot of hating when he only is 25 spots away from a seeding
he was 73rd in early 2008, and guess what happened, he had to play challengers again. Things may be different now but in retrospect that "never" is way too hopeful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he was 73rd in early 2008, and guess what happened, he had to play challengers again. Things may be different now but in retrospect that "never" is way too hopeful.
Okay then, if he stays healthy, Donald will never play challengers again because like you said, things are differrent for him now.

He will have a tennis career in between James Blake's and Andre Agassi's. My favorite tennis players future/present, present/past and longer past respectively

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Honestly, Donald should retire.

Reactions: Audacity

·
Registered
19,406 Posts
Realistic Donald Young poll?
Then where's the "never" option in the poll?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Realistic Donald Young poll?
Then where's the "never" option in the poll?
If we're talking about making the Top 10, it would be an option.
If we're talking about winning a slam, it would be an option.

But we're only talking about Grand Slam seeding, in which there are 32 such things. That is why never is not an option in this poll.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Lol...Not in 2012 and not ever.

Don did well in Washington and USO thanks to easy draws where he drew out of form players/weaker competition.

You can't fault him for winning those matches, but in all likely hood he will not crack top 32.
Agreed.

I see him as something of a Michael Russell, without Russell's work ethic.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
If we're talking about making the Top 10, it would be an option.
If we're talking about winning a slam, it would be an option.

But we're only talking about Grand Slam seeding, in which there are 32 such things. That is why never is not an option in this poll.
I don't see why it's not an option here. Granted, this IS a realstic poll, unlike many seen before, but never is still a likely scenario. I'd vote for it myself. He'll never change his attitude and he's not that naturally talented for the pro circuit levels anyway. If he cracks the top 50 and stays there, he'll do excellent.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see why it's not an option here. Granted, this IS a realstic poll, unlike many seen before, but never is still a likely scenario. I'd vote for it myself. He'll never change his attitude and he's not that naturally talented for the pro circuit levels anyway. If he cracks the top 50 and stays there, he'll do excellent.
What attitude was he still showing since that Twitter incident? If anything that incident and the backlash forced him to grow up like he never had to before. That was why when I made the thread, I had the 2012 French Open in mind to having him seeded to compare his growth.

In comparison, James Blake got his first Grand Slam seed at Wimbledon in 2002 at 22, the same age Donald is now, and he was also being bashed at the time for not being that naturally talented for the pro circuit. People also thought he would never get a Grand Slam seed in his career until Wimbledon came along.

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
This has to be it. Don is still young enough to have a chance at a half-decent career, and he got extremely lucky at the USO to make the 4th round and get a ton of points. If he doesn't take advantage of the boost in points and surely confidence now he's done for good. I shouldn't even be giving him a chance but in the modern game 22 seems to be young (Dolgopolov is 22), however past that is old (Nadull is 25 for example and is almost in a retirement home).

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
What attitude was he still showing since that Twitter incident?
Are you serious? In a nutshell, he feels entitled to all sorts of things. Whether he speaks of it publicly or not is irrelevant. That's his attitude, was before the incident and is aftewards. He feels he's due, not that he'd need to work his ass off just to get and stay in the top 50. He's not even going to finaly severe the umbilical cord and find a real coach.

And seriously, comparing him to Blake? Blake has weapons.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you serious? In a nutshell, he feels entitled to all sorts of things. Whether he speaks of it publicly or not is irrelevant. That's his attitude, was before the incident and is aftewards. He feels he's due, not that he'd need to work his ass off just to get and stay in the top 50. He's not even going to finaly severe the umbilical cord and find a real coach.

And seriously, comparing him to Blake? Blake has weapons.
1. you can't find anything specific since the twittr incidentand you can't admit it

2. The fact that his parents are still his coaches is not unlike when james blake had barker for all those years. more a loyalty issue than a not wanting to get better one

3 since you're using blake has weaons to shootv down my comparisons ATP ranking, ATP titles and GS performance is all that matters to me. DY is at or ahead of the blake curve in those categories

1 - 20 of 64 Posts