Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While watching the Federer v Kiefer match something sprang to mind. It's not really relevant to today's match, as Kiefer hasn't really served well but anyway I thought I'd make the point....

Federer has been hugely comfortable again 99% of the players on the tour. Very few have been giving him any sorts of problems. However, 2 players that he appears to be slightly uncomfortable against are Hrbaty and Kiefer. Looking at their games, there isn't much there to suggest they should cause Federer any particularly large problems, they have rankings of 17 and 38 respectively certainly would suggest that the likes of Roddick and Hewitt should cause him more problems. However, there is something which Hrbaty and Kiefer possess, that very few other players on the tour possess......

An extremely high ball toss!

Anything to this? Maybe Federer just isn't able to anticipate where a serve is going with someone who tosses the ball so high, as he is with a serve like Roddick's.....just a thought ;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
He's definitely "struggling" against Kiefer each time they meet. Exactly what I was telling myself. I need to check the H2H.

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vincayou said:
He's definitely "struggling" against Kiefer each time they meet. Exactly what I was telling myself. I need to check the H2H.
I presume that was an attempt at sarcasm. Kiefer is one of the few people who have managed to even take a set off Federer recently. And he may well be about to do so today.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
adee-gee said:
I presume that was an attempt at sarcasm. Kiefer is one of the few people who have managed to even take a set off Federer recently. And he may well be about to do so today.
No no it wasn't sarcasm! I remember their match at wimbledon.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've noticed that Kiefer seems competitive with Federer. Not necessarily in the sense of winning matches, more in the sense that once the match is over, you are left with the feeling that Kiefer could have won it.

Anyway, Kiefer just tool the tiebreak to make it 1-1. Not sure we are going to see a huge upset but ........

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vincayou said:
No no it wasn't sarcasm! I remember their match at wimbledon.
:lol: ok sorry. Federer leads the head to head 6-3, winning the last 5 meetings. But after Kiefer just taking the 2nd set today, it means Kiefer has taken at least a set in the last 3 meetings, all those matches coming in the last couple of months. He was the only person to take a set off Fed at Wimbledon, 1 of only 2 players to take a set at Cincinnati, and the first player to do so at the US Open.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
adee-gee said:
Definitely not sarcasm. Kiefer just did it again. Federer doesn't seem to know where Kiefer's serve always goes, plus he's having the day of unforced errors on that forehand, just ugly to see. I still think he'll find a way to win like he did in Wimbledon and in Cincinnati.

You made a valid point there, adee-gee, but I don't think it's the only reason. I saw their match in Indian Wells and Kiefer played rather well there, but Roger was just so much better, his game was really clicking on that day.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
roger always plays shite agaisnt kiefer but he mostly finds a way to win. i just hope he can today as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looking at the stats Kiefer appears to be able to return Roger's first serve. He is winning the same % on first and second serves - just changed again but Federer is winning 62 - 65% on first serve and not the usual 80% - 85%.

Although Federer's serve is not fast by modern standards, a lot of players have trouble coping with the spin and the body serves he uses and end up failing to get the ball in play.

It looks like Kiefer can cope with Roger's first serve (which isn't going in that much either)

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
I think Roger struggles against players with strong backhands. Safin, Gasquet, Nalbandian, Kiefer and Hrbaty all hit an equal number of winners on both backhand and forehand wings.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
having just come back from seeing him live, i think that Roger has a huge ego and that he cannot handle it when the crowds root for his opponent. that is the only weakness in his armor that i detected. any opponent that manages to get the crowd as much into supporting him as Santoro did has a chance of beating Roger. he gets really angry and does not handle it well.

and i say this with much love bec otherwise he is perfect. ;)

·
Registered
20,932 Posts
tennischick said:
having just come back from seeing him live, i think that Roger has a huge ego and that he cannot handle it when the crowds root for his opponent. that is the only weakness in his armor that i detected. any opponent that manages to get the crowd as much into supporting him as Santoro did has a chance of beating Roger. he gets really angry and does not handle it well.

When has he ever had a favourable crowd?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Skyward said:
I guess crowd in Houston was filled with Swiss citizens. :eek:
i wasn't in Hosuton and don't understand your point. i'm just commenting on what i perceived. i'm not saying that i am right. it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
tennischick said:

I don't think he was angry during the Santoro match :shrug:
and the crowd isn't really rooting for Kiefer in this match ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts