Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So he's been relatively on the unknown with no very significant junior results, but he is a good example of just putting his head down and getting to work.

He is now ranked 76 despite just being the age of 18, and we had a glimpse of him when he played Berdych in Miami and acquitted himself well losing 46 46.

I just thought that he should get some attention because getting to this ranking when you're just 18 without any obvious physical weapons is pretty impressive.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Kudos to him for reaching the top 100 at 18, but truth be told he only played 2 ATP tournaments so far and has two wins and two losses at that level. For all we know, he might be just another Yen-Hsun Lu.

Reactions: Tiebreak100

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Yep, usually those who sneak under radar are the best ones.. I have high hopes for this guy.
He has GOAT written all over him.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
I cannot wait to see Chung being at full time in the ATP tour. He did well against Berdych, he is the real deal.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
So he's been relatively on the unknown with no very significant junior results, but he is a good example of just putting his head down and getting to work.

Won Wimbledon '13 beating Kyrgios 3R 62 62, Coric QF 76 63 and Quinzi 75 76 in the finals.

2009 Orange Bowl and Eddie Herr winner, 12-and-under.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts

He is now ranked 76 despite just being the age of 18, and we had a glimpse of him when he played Berdych in Miami and acquitted himself well losing 46 46.

I just thought that he should get some attention because getting to this ranking when you're just 18 without any obvious physical weapons is pretty impressive.

Wimbledon Final and AO SF are fairly significant junior results :shrug:

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
It's only been quiet if you haven't seen him play... this guy is the real deal and won't stop rising any time soon.

I cannot wait to see Chung being at full time in the ATP tour. He did well against Berdych, he is the real deal.
Yeah, his match against Berdych was impressive, he stood up to the Czech's consistent power way better than most guys outside the top 10 manage to.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
He is already 41st in race.
Has a great chance to end year in Top 50.

·
Premium Member
21,332 Posts
Majority of tournaments he played were Asian futures/challengers which are usually not that high quality. Will be interesting to see how he fares in the stronger tournaments.

·
Registered
111 Posts
His rise op the rankings has been impressive, but he really has to stop playing challengers now. I see he enters another one next week :eek:

His match against Berdych showed that he can be competitive at atp level.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
His rise op the rankings has been impressive, but he really has to stop playing challengers now. I see he enters another one next week :eek:

It'll be hard to reject 50 or 20 points (lost final) more for the less hassle in five matches, this whole year.

Houston, TX, U.S.A.; 06.04.2015; 250; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 28
Q1 Michael Russell (USA) 219 W 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 Stats
Q2 Ryan Sweeting (USA) N/A W 6-1, 6-1 Stats
Q3 Mischa Zverev (GER) 673 W 6-3, 7-5 Stats
R32 Facundo Arguello (ARG) 138 W 6-3, 7-5 Stats
R16 Fernando Verdasco (ESP) 30 L 6-7(5), 2-6

32 points

Savannah, GA, U.S.A.; 20.04.2015; CH; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 32

R32 Takanyi Garanganga (ZIM) 394 W 6-7(6), 6-3, 6-1 Stats
R16 Julio Peralta (CHI) 684 W 6-4, 6-2 Stats
Q Gastao Elias (POR) 134 W 6-2, 6-4 Stats
S Bjorn Fratangelo (USA) 165 W 6-2, 6-4 Stats
W James McGee (IRL) 169 W 6-3, 6-2

80 points

or even better Asian CH

Bangkok, Thailand; 25.08.2014; CH; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 32

Round Opponent Ranking Score
R32 Danai Udomchoke (THA) 308 W 7-5, 6-3 Stats
R16 Nicolas Meister (USA) 366 W W/O
Q Liang-Chi Huang (TPE) 316 W 6-1, 6-0 Stats
S Go Soeda (JPN) 106 W 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 Stats
W Jordan Thompson (AUS) 278 W 7-6(0), 6-4

80 points

·
Registered
7,348 Posts

I agree with you but maybe he wants to get a good cushion of points in order to have a solid ranking that allows him to make that progression between the Challenger and the ATP tour without the pressure of the points that he wins in every tournament. A little bit what Carreno Busta did some time ago, he basically won a lot of Challengers and that allowed him to lose a lot of matches in the ATP tour without having a big ranking loss. Of course, I do hope that Chung has better luck, and I think so since his game isn't as harmless as Pablo's game.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

He's turning 19 in 9 days. I actually though he turned 19 in May, don't know why.
And he had very good junior results, so he's definitely not a mystery or under the radar. Even people who barely follow junior results know who he is. It's just that he's still avoiding ATP250s and opting for CHs so that's why casual fans don't know about him. Also he's asian, not american, british or australian.

Yep, usually those who sneak under radar are the best ones.. I have high hopes for this guy.
He has GOAT written all over him.
:rolleyes:
I like Chung more than any other teen except Coric and Rublev, but how does his game have: "GOAT written all over it."

He is relatively fun to watch, but his weird motions, especially on the forehand are untypical. They look like a liability. Don't know how that's going to affect his game in the future. Hopefully, not negatively. But it definitely doesn't scream GOAT material.

Next year, he'll abandon CHs for good and then we'll judge his development. The positive side is that he hasn't got much pressure on his back. Hope it will stay the same next season so he can develop in peace because the next year is going to be bumpy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts