Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
π
/pai/ or /pi:/

In my country, everyone prononces the former, but I'm a little doubtful. Who can give a certain answer? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
In all of my math classes, we've always pronounced it like the desert, pie.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
It is pronounced "pi", like the "i"s in the name Philip.

If it is pronounced "pai", like the "i" in China, is wrong to tears.

This coming from a native Greek speaker (and lover of Greek language).

·
Banned
42,099 Posts

Yeah, I didn't get the pi, 'cause I thought it was written like this: Π and π.

I thought that was a η (eta).

Yeah, it's the i like in Mario or Philip. :)

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
As in 'peh'? :confused:

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

I assume Philip is pronounced Pheeleep[English] in Greek, but it is pronounced Phillip (I like in pill or tip) in English.

Should the letter be pronounced Pee in English (with short ee) or like the i in pill?

·
Registered
11,122 Posts

·
#freeviktor
93,847 Posts
Mario is a latin name - from Marius. The pronunciation shouldn't change because you're talking in English.

Mareeo - Pheeleep.

The greek letter pi - "i" like in pea as you asked.
I don't think it was the i in Mario he was questioning but rather Philip since in English it's not pronounce Pheeleep but rather more like "fill-lip" :angel: And that's where the confusion was :p

·
Banned
42,099 Posts
I don't think it was the i in Mario he was questioning but rather Philip since in English it's not pronounce Pheeleep but rather more like "fill-lip" :angel: And that's where the confusion was :p
Ah, I went the other way on his line of thought. He means the double ee as in a long sound, then? No, then pi has a shorter sound. Well, Mario and Phillip should both have a short sound...

·
#freeviktor
93,847 Posts
Ah, I went the other way on his line of thought. He means the double ee as in a long sound, then? No, then pi has a shorter sound. Well, Mario and Phillip should both have a short sound...
Yah, ee as a long sound.

Hmmm :scratch:

I've been pronouncing "pi" wrong all my life apparently :rolls: so I don't even know :p But yeah :lol:

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
All vocals are pronounced with short sounds in Greek.

I would say that the Greek language is more a "staccato" language than a "legato" one.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
C'mon Suey, there's no such thing as pi with the i as in kite.
And soccer and football aren't the same sport? :p Just because some people pronounce it differently in different languages or cultures doesn't mean one is wrong. We say pi like the desert you say pi however you want. Whether I'm right or wrong, i'm still going to say pi how I want.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Of course you can say it how you want.

The point is that you anglisised a greek symbol.
There are people and cultures, other than the American, whose mainstream ideas do not permit them to act arbitrarily.

I'm sure that your stubbornness does not characterise all your compatriots.
Case closed.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
Good thing about having a language based in latin and greek is to know stuff like this. :p

C'mon Suey, there's no such thing as pi with the i as in kite.
Ah I am just a tease;) And I like that song. Astaire and Rogers on roller skates:inlove:

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
And soccer and football aren't the same sport? :p Just because some people pronounce it differently in different languages or cultures doesn't mean one is wrong. We say pi like the desert you say pi however you want. Whether I'm right or wrong, i'm still going to say pi how I want.
It is really a matter of respect for another culture. :)

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Of course you can say it how you want.

The point is that you anglisised a greek symbol.
There are people and cultures, other than the American, whose mainstream ideas do not permit them to act arbitrarily.

I'm sure that your stubbornness does not characterise all your compatriots.
Case closed.
Americans are not the only ones who pronouce pi with a long i. :wavey: I did not change the way I pronounce one of your letters. Blame my 3rd grade teacher who taught me to use pi to find the area of a circle.

It is really a matter of respect for another culture. :)
Well, it doesn't really matter as I'm done with math in school and have no reason to us the pi symbol for 3.14... :lol:

Besides, it's not me being stubborn; it's me using a word how I've been taught to say a word. Like I said, soccer and football are the same thing. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts