Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The maximum sentence in Norway, even for murder, is 21 years. Since most inmates will eventually return to society, prisons mimic the outside world as much as possible to prepare them for freedom. At Halden, rooms include en-suite bathrooms with ceramic tiles, mini-fridges and flat-screen TVs. Officials say sleeker televisions afford inmates less space to hide drugs and other contraband.

Every 10 to 12 cells share a kitchen and living room, where prisoners prepare their evening meals and relax after a day of work. None of the windows at Halden have bars. Photo taken 2010.

Security guards organize activities from 8:00 in the morning until 8:00 in the evening. It's a chance for inmates to pick up a new hobby, but it's also a part of the prison's dynamic security strategy: occupied prisoners are less likely to lash out at guards and one another. Inmates can shoot hoops on this basketball court, which absorbs falls on impact, and make use of a rock-climbing wall, jogging trails and a soccer field. Photo taken 2010.

There's also a recording studio with a professional mixing board. In-house music teachers — who refer to the inmates as "pupils," never "prisoners" — work with their charges on piano, guitar, bongos and more. Three members of Halden's security-guard chorus recently competed on Norway's version of American Idol. They hope to produce the prison's first musical — starring inmates — later this year.

Halden's architects preserved trees across the 75-acre site to obscure the 20-ft.-high security wall that surrounds the perimeter, in order to minimize the institutional feel and, in the words of one architect, to "let the inmates see all of the seasons." Benches and stone chessboards dot this jogging trail. Photo taken 2010.

Norway's prison guards undergo two years of training at an officers' academy and enjoy an elevated status compared with their peers in the U.S. and Britain. Their official job description says they must motivate the inmate "so that his sentence is as meaningful, enlightening and rehabilitating as possible," so they frequently eat meals and play sports with prisoners. At Halden, half of all guards are female, which its governor believes reduces tension and encourages good behavior. Photo taken 2010.

Norwegian inmates lose their right to freedom but not to state services like health care. Dentists, doctors, nurses and even librarians work in the local municipality, preventing a subpar prison standard from developing. On-site, Halden boasts a small hospital and this state-of-the-art dentist's office.

To help inmates develop routines and to reduce the monotony of confinement, designers spread Halden's living quarters, work areas and activity centers across the prison grounds. In this "kitchen laboratory," inmates learn the basics of nutrition and cooking. On a recent afternoon, homemade orange sorbet and slices of tropical fruit lined the table. Prisoners can take courses that will prepare them for careers as caterers, chefs and waiters.
http://content.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1989083_2137374,00.html

Prison my ass. Murderers/Rapists don't deserve this.

·
Registered
24,805 Posts
:silly::cuckoo:
Looks much better than my apartment. :p
me too, just the room is almost as large as my whole apartment :tears:

good to be prisoners in Norway. My friend told me that the one who killed more than 70 students in 2012 has a staff to play sports with him coz they fear that he will get bored by himself. Too kind to these criminals look stupid for me :silly::cuckoo:

·
Registered
22,652 Posts
How can I sign up? :p

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
Please don't advertise for it. It's completely full already and we have a big waiting list hoping to get in soon. The other ones aren't like this, it's brand new. We can't afford to build enough of them (go figure).

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
At least they try different things, they think outside the box.

As far as I know, the traditional prisons have never changed anybody, or way too rarely. Most of those in prisons will repeat their mistakes when they'll be released.
By offering them a chance to live in a semi-confined space where they actually take care of them and try to guide them in a new life-style that is good for everyone, I believe the chances of actually changing their bad side is higher than in 'normal' prisons, where they often become even more paranoid, aggressive, where they make future plans with inmates, where they hate the system and governments even more. In such prisons like the one shown above, you show the prisoners that you believe they can change, you restore a mutual confidence between system and individuals, that was broken or that never existed in the first place.

Now, I get it, some people do not even have a tenth of what's invested in those prisons (those people are rare in Norway anyway). But think again: take the ecenomy as a parameter, the social progress, the education, the integration of immigrants, anything... Would you now rather live in the USA or Norway? For all the reasons of the world, I'd choose Norway over the US. Any day.

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
^
Well, it's easy to choose Norway over the US, unless you're worried about the low temperatures. I don't think many would choose us over Switzerland, though.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
^
Well, it's easy to choose Norway over the US, unless you're worried about the low temperatures. I don't think many would choose us over Switzerland, though.
Why not?

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
Well, they have a better economy and more central location, placed right in the heart of Europe. More competent politicians also, at least so it seems from a distance.

Of course, if you aim for prison Norway might be a better choice.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Well, they have a better economy and more central location, placed right in the heart of Europe. More competent politicians also, at least so it seems from a distance.

Switzerland's economy is more diverse I think yeah. Norway's seems focused on oil and salmon.

From what I've read Iceland is an even better place for prisoners. Prisoners only sleep in the prison, during the day they go to work in the public.

·
Registered
14,898 Posts

The Swiss case is all really debatable. Because the image projected by the medias is not completely honest. It always shows banking, banking, banking, financial places, banking again, some cows, Alps and ski, Rolex, banks, Federer, the usual stu - oh, and did I mention banks?

There is also poverty in Switzerland, there is a lot of discrimination against strangers and neighbour countries and individuals working in Switzerland, they create problems that do not even exist to begin with and blame it all on strangers, etc. I could go on forever, but you wouldn't understand, because the ideal country that Switzerland is supposed to be only exists in the medias. Of course, it's going a lot better than 99.9% of the countries in the world, but it isn't heaven on Earth, far from it.

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
Switzerland's economy is more diverse I think yeah. Norway's seems focused on oil and salmon.

From what I've read Iceland is an even better place for prisoners. Prisoners only sleep in the prison, during the day they go to work in the public.
We're going to get a gigantic headache economically as the oil revenue starts running down. We've already exploited most of the available oil. Sure, they'll find some more, but it won't last forever, and when it ends we'll have little to fall back on. Politicians have known this for long but are unable to do anything constructive about it.

Icelanders are very closely related to Norwegians. It's mainly populated by descendants of Norwegian vikings. I guess in many ways we still think alike.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
And how feel the norwegian victims, if they see how their criminals can enjoy themselves in some sort of community paradise?:confused:

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
And how feel the norwegian victims, if they see how their criminals can enjoy themselves in some sort of community paradise?:confused:
Many of them hate it. They also hate our short sentences, living in fear of the perpetrator repeating his actions, especially in cases of violent crimes.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
We're going to get a gigantic headache economically as the oil revenue starts running down. We've already exploited most of the available oil. Sure, they'll find some more, but it won't last forever, and when it ends we'll have little to fall back on. Politicians have known this for long but are unable to do anything constructive about it.

Icelanders are very closely related to Norwegians. It's mainly populated by descendants of Norwegian vikings. I guess in many ways we still think alike.
Do you really think the world works like that?

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
I didn't say anything about how the world works. We have a lot in common with Iceland, that's easy enough to verify.
Yes you did. You implied that peoples think alike, and that has significant consequences for cooperation between humans in general. So that leads me to think you believe in the nation state. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A friend of my acquaintance spent some days (maybe even a month, I don't know exactly) in a Danish prison. It was similar to this prison. He said it was great, delicious free food, LCD and stuff he wouldn't normally have.

·
Premium Member
62,012 Posts
Yes you did. You implied that peoples think alike, and that has significant consequences for cooperation between humans in general. So that leads me to think you believe in the nation state. Or am I wrong?
No, I didn't, take it from me who said it. I cannot control what you read out of my statements but I have a pretty good idea what I put into them myself.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts