Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AlexDrBogomolov Alex Bogomolov
Finally all the players united! Waited for 10 yeArs for this! Witnessing history in Tennis!
10 minutes ago

AlexDrBogomolov Alex Bogomolov
A players strike here at the Australian Open?? YES SIR!!
13 minutes ago

·
Registered
59,053 Posts
ugh...god, hope not. better be over wages and not the idiotic schedule dispute
And why boycott ITF not ATP?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Santiago Gonzalez (@gonzalezsanty) also talking strike, citing smaller % of pay for players at Slams compared to ATP events.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Would be great if the players stood up for themselves for once. The slams cash in bigtime & give a very small % back to players. It's the lower ranked players for whom the money is important that really lose out. Wimbledon for example makes millions & hand over a lot of those millions to the LTA which has had little to show for itself - sure slams will help out their national tennis association (USTA/FTF/TA/LTA...) but it's too tilted that way.

Not sure when they'd do it though. Strike at the Aus Open? Or at the French? US Open is the best target as it's the worst for players I think conditions wise - but it's pretty far away....

Neil Harman wrote in The Times today Nadal was considering stepping down as Vice-President of the Player's Council at the meeting tonight as he doesn't think the leadership listen/is fed up with it - wonder if that happened. Strike talk sounds like more players are on a wavelength with him, Roddick & Murray about some issues than perhaps Fed... Interesting stuff.

Edit: Santiago Gonzalez's twitter talks about players getting 30% of revenue from ATP tournaments vs 13% at Grand Slams & asks where all the money goes. Then says it was a very interesting meeting, possibly strike at the next tournaments/Slams (not clear which....). Would Rafa strike at the French & Wimbledon? Possibly not - may just convince people to wait till the US Open. ;)

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
not to be controversial here but if you see the lack of professionalism from most of the guys ranked outside of the top 10 i think its only fair that they dont get paid as much. if you want to be a journeyman fine but dont expect to make that fat cash by showing up when it suits you and win a tournament here and there or make a deep run in a masters. if i am going to feel sorry for anyone its people starving in africa not spoiled tennis player who complain about the seasons length and lose first round matches they are supposed to win just to receive that turn-up money.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
not to be controversial here but if you see the lack of professionalism from most of the guys ranked outside of the top 10 i think its only fair that they dont get paid as much. if you want to be a journeyman fine but dont expect to make that fat cash by showing up when it suits you and win a tournament here and there or make a deep run in a masters.
Try using your brain next time you post. Anyone who's in the top 100 dosen't lack professionalis.

if i am going to feel sorry for anyone its people starving in africa not spoiled tennis player who complain about the seasons length and lose first round matches they are supposed to win just to receive that turn-up money.
Nadull and Murray are the ones that have an issue with the tennis year being too long. If anything the likes of Bolgomolov probablay want non-stop ATP events.
And wtf has Africa got to do whith anything? Nowadays the fat ass bureaucrats earn more money than the players themself. Do you think this is fair?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
if i am going to feel sorry for anyone its people starving in africa not spoiled tennis player who complain about the seasons length and lose first round matches they are supposed to win just to receive that turn-up money.
People can feel sorry for both groups of people even though one group's concern may be more pressing than the other group's. Shocking, I know.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Strike talk sounds like more players are on a wavelength with him, Roddick & Murray about some issues than perhaps Fed... Interesting stuff.

Edit: Santiago Gonzalez's twitter talks about players getting 30% of revenue from ATP tournaments vs 13% at Grand Slams & asks where all the money goes. Then says it was a very interesting meeting, possibly strike at the next tournaments/Slams (not clear which....). Would Rafa strike at the French & Wimbledon? Possibly not - may just convince people to wait till the US Open. ;)
the only top-player who talked about that small % of revenues in slams was Andy Murray.

And that was a very very very little part of all the gossiping.

Everything depends on the purpose of the strike : if that's it, it's totally different from what we heard in previous months, but at least it's something which can unite more players.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
All roads lead back to $$$ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
We will see, but it's normal we've heard nothing else about this, as the players meeting was yesterday evening in Australia, may have finished late.

We should hear about that when it's morning in Australia.

Yesterday was Drewett's first talk to the players, may have started quite harsh :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why are all those overpaid sporters going on a strike? Especially the top 100 doesn't have anything to complain about the money. If the guys playing futures would go on a strike I would maybe understand, but people playing grand slams, who get paid almost a years' salary for playing 3 sets of tennis, no way.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I am cautious about saying this, but I have a feeling Roger and Rafa disagree quite strongly on that issue. I don't think Roger is at all supportive of a strike, but that's pure speculation.

I'd love to see those meetings, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Why are all those overpaid sporters going on a strike? Especially the top 100 doesn't have anything to complain about the money. If the guys playing futures would go on a strike I would maybe understand, but people playing grand slams, who get paid almost a years' salary for playing 3 sets of tennis, no way.
I find it hilarious someone calls tennis players 'overpaid'. Outside of top 10 stalwarts, you can't really apply that term to any professional tennis player.

The thing is, Grand Slams are making giantanormous amount of money. Where does that money go?

Because it sure as fuck is not going to tennis.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
AUSTRALIAN Open tennis officials were last night on high alert after talk of a player strike exploded over prizemoney and scheduling issues.

Tennis Australia refused to comment on the prospect of a player walkout on the eve of the richest grand slam event in history.

But the Herald Sun understands there is deep frustration among male players towards the four grand slams over prizemoney and Davis Cup scheduling.

The Australian Open is offering a record prize pool of $26million, but players are unsettled over the percentage of prizemoney reaching them.

The singles champions will each earn $2.3million, but lower-ranked competitors are upset over their level of pay.

While it is unlikely players will strike at Melbourne Park, other grand slams this season - French Open, Wimbledon and US Open - might be affected.

RELATED COVERAGE
Tennis serves up $30m in riches Adelaide Now, 26 Dec 2011
Drewett appointed ATP president The Australian, 23 Dec 2011
Big three chooses Arabian nights The Australian, 20 Dec 2011
Federer plays down strike talk FoxSports, 25 Nov 2011
Kvitova's buoyed for Australian adventure Adelaide Now, 1 Nov 2011

Male players met in the city to discuss the issue at the ATP World Tour's meeting.

Soon after, Twitter exploded as speculation of the possible strike and creation of a player union emerged.

Alex Bogomolov junior tweeted: "A players strike here at the Australian Open?? YES SIR!!"

Later, he tweeted: "Finally all the players united! Waited for 10 yeArs for this! Witnessing history in Tennis!"

Santiago Gonzalez also tweeted, citing the lower percentage of pay for players at the four majors compared with the ATP World Tour.

Top players, including Andy Murray and Andy Roddick, expressed their concerns over financial returns to players at September's US Open.

Since then, there has been a steady stream of players voicing their support for a greater slice of the revenues.

It is understood the player group is also pushing for change to the Davis Cup scheduling.

Play is due to start at Melbourne Park at 10am tomorrow.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...er-player-strike/story-fn77kxzt-1226244519747

1 - 20 of 64 Posts