Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Yeah I played it frame by frame in VLC and arrived at the same bounce point
Well Giannessi consciously points to the wrong mark. Before that you can even see him instinctively straighten his hand as to indicate the ball is in, but perhaps that is looking too much into it :p. Of course it's a disgraceful call from the umpire as well on a low pace ball in clear sight that lands in front of the baseline
I played it frame by frame on VLC too, i still think the ball was long, the only way it would explain the trajectories before and after impact. Obviously the low frame rate of the video missed the bounce...

Registered
The fact that the ball is right in front of him is a huge incriminating factor. He could not have missed the mark. If the umpire would be standing where Giannessi is, he could call it a career. It seems Giannessi misjudged the ball and was out of position to play it. Bailed out by the umpire, and took advantage showing very poor character.

Reminds me of Djokovic against Wawrinka at AO 2013... ball lands right in front of Djokovic and firmly on the line (as shown later in a slow mo as well as Hawkeye), the umpire and line judge call it out, and Djokovic "confirms" the call like Giannessi here. A very questionable moment.

Slow mo and Djokovic's reaction:

Hawkeye:

This one is way harder though, rocket of a return from Wawrinka, out of balance, eyes not on the ball
I can't ever call a ball out, when it clearly isn't.

For example if I make an out call when it's in , I will say it's in and concede the point.

I guess it's a bit different for professionals when grand slams and millions of dollars are on the line.
But it's a challenger, man up and just call it in and replay it.
Shouldn't matter

I played it frame by frame on VLC too, i still think the ball was long, the only way it would explain the trajectories before and after impact. Obviously the low frame rate of the video missed the bounce...
Giannessi's previous shot is on the line, so could be Cerundolo's semi-shanked shot? But yeah I'm definitely not saying you're wrong, the fact it would be SUCH a ridiculous call from the umpire speaks in favor of that theory. Although one week of watching Challenger tennis and you become rightfully cynical of calls :p

Premium Member
This one is way harder though, rocket of a return from Wawrinka, out of balance, eyes not on the ball

[...]
Yeah the shot was harder/faster, you can give Djokovic that. But I don't know about his eyes not being on the ball... You'd think he was following it the whole time and you can also see him up close during the time of the bounce in the first video at around 2:30-2:31 mark (seems to be looking approx at the area of the bounce). And if he would have missed the bounce (which I'm hesitant about), the way he was then so "sure" about the mark so quickly... Conflicting, either you didn't catch it well (which I suppose could happen with a high paced shot touching the line), but do you then go and make a call so assuredly/quickly... I remain doubtful... It's possible that we're in a GS and he's wanting to win it so much... Umpire mugged up big time though, acting so sure which worked to stave off the challenge... A lesson for Stan to not trust the umpire and go with his own instincts.

Registered
These CH bounces really have me confused left and right. To me this one seems well in but if you check out the youtube comments -section there is some dude arguing that its 10-15cm out atleast.

Could the youtube dude be Giannessi :unsure: ?

Jokes aside the eye can fool you big time I believe.

Registered
Do people actually believe in karma, or is it just a figure of speech? I never seem to be able to tell...
Figure of speech, unless it comes from a hindu or buddhist

Registered
For you, obviously it is. For most people who use the phrase, I really wouldn't be so sure. It seems the "jinx" of non-betting.

Registered
For you, obviously it is. For most people who use the phrase, I really wouldn't be so sure. It seems the "jinx" of non-betting.
You're probably right, though, being the one true Nelson Mandela.
Well given the number of non-religious people who believe in things like astrology and magical rocks, I can't speak for everyone

Registered
I don't think it's that big of a deal. If he really wanted to cheat, that lob in the beginning was closer.
He looked at it, then the referee called it out, then he marked it. Maybe he saw it wrong, sweat in his eye or whatever.

It looks shady, I know, but without line judges, these things happen all the time, I think.
Biggest problem is the referee, he should have checked the mark.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts