Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had the off season before but this projected to last a lot longer than that...

I'm just hoping everyone is healthy and avoiding getting the flu/ virus. I understand a lot of MTF is Millennials and may not be affected terribly by corona virus, but I'm hoping everyone's families can stay in good health during this time period, your older relatives and individuals you know who are more susceptible to illness.

And what are your plans during this time period? You cannot watch Nadal/Federer/Djokovic. Will you watch reruns, rewatch 40-15 ten times over, hunker down and keep a healthy diet?

What's the plan and how are you doing?

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Educate yourself. Be responsible. Do not get yourself affected and infected by that virus and do not spread the virus.

That's the plan.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Not worried about the virus at all, but very about what they are going to do as a result of it.

Lived through worse, will be fine. On the other hand, we might not be able to deal with the slavery they're inevitably going to implement. Of course, no one thinks about anything beyond the fear hype spread by the media.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
This is a difficult time for all sport fans, not just tennis fans. Everything is shut down including my favourite sports to watch like tennis, cycling, football and ski-jumping. Yesterday I watched 6th stage of Paris-Nice and they raced as if it was a one-day classic, great race. They were feeling that the race would be cancelled afterwards so they went a bloc. But it looks like today's Alpine stage will take place after all! I'll fully enjoy this last live stage (just like I enjoyed Liverpool vs Atletico match) knowing that there would be nothing for months.

As for life in general I'll be working remotely and go for walks/bike rides in the wild far from other people (which I do often anyway). In this difficult time I wish all MTF-ers and their families good health, which is most important value.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I'm on heavy sports withdrawal already, since I'm also a football addict.

It will be rough times for a lot of people, especially the ones who already are lonely. Thanks god there is the internet.

I'm not worried about getting sick, but of course I'm very worried about what implications this has for our society. I think for most people, it has not sunk in what it all means. Life as we know it is over, the economy will most likely collapse, if they do not come up with a vacchine fast.

Don't underestimate the psychological damage, too. Depression and anxiety will increase, isolation is poison for humans.

It will be a brutal test how far we have come and how willing we are to look out for each other. The system of "everybody for himself" will lead to certain doom. I don't want to generalize too much, but I think the Asian part of the world got that down much better than the West. The powers will shift.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
This is a difficult time for all sport fans, not just tennis fans. Everything is shut down including my favourite sports to watch like tennis, cycling, football and ski-jumping. Yesterday I watched 6th stage of Paris-Nice and they raced as if it was a one-day classic, great race. They were feeling that the race would be cancelled afterwards so they went a bloc. But it looks like today's Alpine stage will take place after all! I'll fully enjoy this last live stage (just like I enjoyed Liverpool vs Atletico match) knowing that there would be nothing for months.

As for life in general I'll be working remotely and go for walks/bike rides in the wild far from other people (which I do often anyway). In this difficult time I wish all MTF-ers and their families good health, which is most important value.
You are a good man. Stay healthy ?

Reactions: Supercell

·
Registered
656 Posts
Actually, there are many classic matches I always want to rewatch, but the off season is usually too short for me to rewatch, you know that 6 hour epic of nole and Nadal AO 2012. That match is definitely on my to do list again. It was just an amazing physical match that I don't think we will ever see again in regards to the physicality. I think I might subscribe to tennis TV also if they drop their prices to watch reruns

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Tennis-wise I've lost all interest except playing which I still do. In times like this I just don't have the mood to re-visit classic matches.

I don't have any plans at the moment. Work is keeping me busy. Probably it's a good time to ponder life choices since time like this you realise there are only a few things which truly matter. As I mentioned in the NT thread a few days ago, I'm looking forward to the future when all of this ends, when I could do all the things I wanted to but avoided by excuses, once I have re-arranged my priorities. Tough time indeed and it's good to have internet so you feel less isolated. I wish good health to all of you.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Not worried about the virus at all, but very about what they are going to do as a result of it.

Lived through worse, will be fine. On the other hand, we might not be able to deal with the slavery they're inevitably going to implement. Of course, no one thinks about anything beyond the fear hype spread by the media.
All these links r the signs of a modern day big brother or even a new age third eye coming to fruition. Keep your eyes wide open & resist temptation to follow the sheep.

·
Your visions will happen
51,343 Posts
Finally gonna read those books I've been putting off. Got like 9-10 books I'd like to read before this thing is over

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I am a Millenial (barely) but I'm also disabled by an immune system disease which means I have pretty huge risk of complications if I get sick so while I do normally spend a lot of time stuck at home I'm spending even more time here and the only time I'm heading out is to walk the dog where there aren't many crowds. Nearly all the entertainment I had planned over the next few months has been cancelled (not just tennis) so I've been listening to audiobooks and hitting refresh on reddit far too often over the last few days.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
This is what happens when media is run by jackasses. They blow things way out of proportion and everyone starts panicking and this is where we’re at now. All this over a goddamn flu-like virus.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,739 Posts
I am a Millenial (barely) but I'm also disabled by an immune system disease which means I have pretty huge risk of complications if I get sick so while I do normally spend a lot of time stuck at home I'm spending even more time here and the only time I'm heading out is to walk the dog where there aren't many crowds. Nearly all the entertainment I had planned over the next few months has been cancelled (not just tennis) so I've been listening to audiobooks and hitting refresh on reddit far too often over the last few days.
Welcome to the club, but I got unlucky

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
This is what happens when media is run by jackasses. They blow things way out of proportion and everyone starts panicking and this is where we’re at now. All this over a goddamn flu-like virus.
Well, all the unprecedented cancellations and travel bans have nothing to do with medias..

There is something though, why everyone has to be aware of the situation and respect basic hygienic rules. It seems that the best vaccine is to turn off the TV, many people are getting affected by the anxiety of getting the Coronavirus.

·
24,369 Posts
Stay safe fellow MTFers. We may be a rambunctious bunch, to put it mildly but it is time to calm down a bit and wait this out. It is nice that technology now enables us to communicate even when travel is restricted for most parts of the world currently. Keep it literally clean and don't spread other stuff too.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I'm on heavy sports withdrawal already, since I'm also a football addict.

It will be rough times for a lot of people, especially the ones who already are lonely. Thanks god there is the internet.

I'm not worried about getting sick, but of course I'm very worried about what implications this has for our society. I think for most people, it has not sunk in what it all means. Life as we know it is over, the economy will most likely collapse, if they do not come up with a vacchine fast.

Don't underestimate the psychological damage, too. Depression and anxiety will increase, isolation is poison for humans.

It will be a brutal test how far we have come and how willing we are to look out for each other. The system of "everybody for himself" will lead to certain doom. I don't want to generalize too much, but I think the Asian part of the world got that down much better than the West. The powers will shift.
Good post. I notice here in the Benelux that a lot of people are ignorant and careless. Bars/cafes were still crowded, while Belgian youth was doing a 'Corona-celebration' on the streets, to celebrate the facts that bars were closing.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Yeah, say that to the North-Italians.. Not a single Western-healthcare system is up to the task if too many people get infected (like what already happened in Italy). The percentage of people that require intensive-care healthcare is extremely high and incomparable to a normal flu. The doctors are currently having to make decisions which people they aim to rescue, by providing them with breathing devices and which people they can't help, basically signing their death warrants.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Well, all the unprecedented cancellations and travel bans have nothing to do with medias..

There is something though, why everyone has to be aware of the situation and respect basic hygienic rules. It seems that the best vaccine is to turn off the TV, many people are getting affected by the anxiety of getting the Coronavirus.
The media always just overhypes things. Due to that, people are flooding grocery stores and emptying the store of everything. The president actions of course aren’t media influenced but actions done by things such as colleges could be as they cancelled all sports seasons.

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
Very interesting story ... since around the new year, my wife started to bake bread ( Ciabatta ) and we aren't buying any bread for 2 months now.
Also during the past year, she was collecting recipes, bought high quality Wok and several pieces of other cooking ware. She became fanatic and for almost a year now, she was convincing the entire family to give up fast food and restaurants and to eat at home, to eat the home meal she is preparing.

As of today, restaurants are closed in Macedonia by government decision. And in the past week or so I keep asking her, how did you know ? How did you know ?

Reactions: Johnny Groove
1 - 20 of 24 Posts