Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A. Bedene:"I feel British already for a few years. I see myself as a British player"

The 24-year-old set up a base in the United Kingdom in March 2008 and will qualify to play for GB in February if his passport application is successful.

"I really love living here. I love British people. I feel like I'm at home," Bedene told BBC Sport after his comeback from a wrist injury ended with a first round defeat in the Aegon Championships at Queen's Club.

I feel like (I have been) living here for longer than six years, and now I just want to bring back to Great Britain. I feel British already for a few years," he added.

Bedene's chances of securing a passport in time for Britain's first round tie next March are said to be 50-50. His other major task is to convince existing members of the Davis Cup team that he has a right to be considered. Those conversations have not yet begun.

"Not with the ones at the top. Not Andy yet. But I've spoken to my friends - like David Rice, Ed Corrie - they seem keen, although I don't know what they're thinking when they are not with me.

"But I think in the end they will accept me. I see myself as a British player, and I hope they recognise that as well."

When the BBC first revealed Bedene's intentions last month, the current British number two Dan Evans tweeted: "So a guy is becoming British who has already played for his country. Doesn't quite sound right to me!"

"There were a few negative comments about that, but I just played dead rubbers," Bedene says of the three previous ties he played for Slovenia. "I never actually played a live rubber so I wasn't really fighting for a country in the way I wanted to. So I want to play for Great Britain in a live rubber if I get a chance and I think there's nothing wrong with that."

Bedene also argues that competition for places is a good thing. He says he's not in it for the money, and doesn't think his change of nationality would be unfair on existing British players trying to make a living from the sport.

"This always is an issue. If you get a player who at the moment is ranked higher than they are, it brings a certain tension but I think a good motivation for them as well - as it does for me. So I think it should work for both sides."

Bedene will play in Wimbledon qualifying next week in an attempt to rebuild a ranking which has fallen from last year's career high of 71 to 132 after a succession of problems with his wrist.

Evans against Bedene switch

"I've nothing against him, I just wouldn't do it personally," said Evans,

"He's a nice guy, but he's played Davis Cup for a different country, I just don't think it would be right him playing Davis Cup for our country.

"I don't have anything against him, it's a tough one. Becoming British, that's fine, but you shouldn't play Davis Cup if you've already played for a different country, it's like being capped in football.

“Like I said, nothing personal against him. I know him. A guy who used to work for the LTA, James Davidson, coaches him. He’s a good guy. It’s just one of those things.”

The 24-year-old hopes he can offset Bedene's potential Davis Cup switch by keeping him out of Britain's team in any case.

"It's up to the Davis Cup selectors I guess, but I would say I'm a better tennis player than Bedene, so there shouldn't really be a selection issue hopefully," said Evans.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/27775110

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: A. Bedene:"I feel British already for a few years. I see myself as a British play

If he's been here for six years and identifies as British then I don't see any problem with this.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Re: A. Bedene:"I feel British already for a few years. I see myself as a British play

Those anglo people keep naturalizing young talents from abroad, NID...

·
Super Moderator
8,199 Posts

Those anglo people keep naturalizing young talents from abroad, NID...
NID. A big pleasure for Tennis-Slovenia to lose such a young talented player who has it :rolleyes:

LTA can find so easily a tennisplayer like him when they deter their kids going to McBoldalds.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

lost the Nole at the final gif

would be perfectly fitting for these lines, just... :facepalm:

·
Registered
11,624 Posts

If he wants to play for GB then I'm all for it. I would take him over a spoiled mug like Evans any day.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

Nigel Farage ain't too happy...another wave of Eastern Europeans invading the precious island :lol:

Or maybe he is, coz it all depends on the projected profitability i guess.

Go team UK.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Quite funny that the player who can suffer more from Bedene's entry in the GB DC team, is the only one who is whining. I wonder why...

·
Registered
951 Posts

I don't really get his arguments about only playing dead rubbers for Slovenia. Presumably he was ready to play live rubbers if necessary.

Anyway, I don't really mind either way. If he's living in Britain, and wants to make it his permanent home, and feels an affinity for Britain, why not? Presumably he still feels some affinity for Slovenia too, that's normal.

And I don't give much of a shit about Evans' opinion, who already falls out with the rest of the DC team over his attitude problems.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

maybe if evo got his head out of his ass and started using his talent he would'nt have to worry about being in or out of the DC team

·
Super Moderator
8,199 Posts

"It's up to the Davis Cup selectors I guess, but I would say I'm a better tennis player than Bedene, so there shouldn't really be a selection issue hopefully," said Evans.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/27775110
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Not even in his dreams. Bedene is much more focused on tennis, not like Partyvans planning his next pub tour. Pathetic.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts

I agree with Evans. Once you have played for one country you shouldn't be able to play for another.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts

Given the precedent already in place whether it be with other countries (Kazakhstan) or with Great Britain itself (Rusedski) then I see no problem with this in the slightest.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

Sorry I don't even think he is that good. IMO, he's a poor player tactically and doesn't become inspired at all by the big occasion. He's a grinder and tactically a poor one, on clay the idea is to find your opponent's weaker shot, which generally tends to be their backhand, when in easy positions the muppet goes into their forehand, crosscourt. I've never seen someone so stupid. He doesn't cope well with pressure and isn't composed or own a killer shot or killer instinct you could say.

IMO, outside of clay, Daniel Evans is far superior to him and arguably I would say on clay, James Ward AND (after having watched a bit of him on the challenger scene) so is Kyle Edmund.

He's changing nationality so he gets support at both wimbledon and queens in the coming years and he wants to be playing on the big stage in the world group for davis cup, purely selfish decision, not based on anything in any slight way with 'feeling' British. Cut me the absolute bullcrap!

·
Banned
9,211 Posts

I agree with Evans. Once you have played for one country you shouldn't be able to play for another.
Let's face it, he's a gloryhunter.

I've seen him, he's a gutless player. Very limited game, no weapons and too passive during rallies.

They should have a play off between Ward, Edmund, Evans and this pretender, Bedene and I guarantee you Bedene would not even finish in the top 2 after them all playing each other.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

Sorry I don't even think he is that good. IMO, he's a poor player tactically and doesn't become inspired at all by the big occasion. He's a grinder and tactically a poor one, on clay the idea is to find your opponent's weaker shot, which generally tends to be their backhand, when in easy positions the muppet goes into their forehand, crosscourt. I've never seen someone so stupid. He doesn't cope well with pressure and isn't composed or own a killer shot or killer instinct you could say.

IMO, outside of clay, Daniel Evans is far superior to him and arguably I would say on clay, James Ward AND (after having watched a bit of him on the challenger scene) so is Kyle Edmund.

He's changing nationality so he gets support at both wimbledon and queens in the coming years and he wants to be playing on the big stage in the world group for davis cup, purely selfish decision, not based on anything in any slight way with 'feeling' British. Cut me the absolute bullcrap!
:haha::haha::haha:

get a brain check please. bedene would swipe the floor with any of those muppets.

first the verdasco thread, now this. :haha:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

The British fans should be happy to get another good (= close to ATP100) player. The controversy only comes from Evans who faces the risk of having to fight harder for a place in the Davis Cup team.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

There is quite a lot of money in British tennis. I suppose that is the main attraction for Bedene. It's unfortunate in a way that anyone who is Top 50 material doesn't need British money, so we just end up with Challenger-level guys or those on the fringes of the main tour.

If I was a British player, I would be annoyed, just because there will be more competition for the opportunities that are out there.

Still, the system exists, so it is hard to criticise Bedene for wanting to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts

Why? I don't understand this distinction. What difference does it really make? You could be young and play for your country of birth then your circumstances change. Why should a match or two you played years ago for one country prevent you from playing for another country that you choose to settle in? There is no logic in this and I think people just like to put up barriers for the hell of it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts