Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wild card U.S. player, Roy Smith is in his first challenger tournament final in Houston. He is competing in the biggest type of challenger tournament which is the 150k + H type. He is guaranteed to win 75 big atp points as a losing finalist. If he wins the tournament he will earn 125 ATP points.

Against Kwiatkowski in the quarter finals he had 1/12 breaking points against him and himself had 0/0 break points. He had to win 2 tiebreakers in order to win the match. Today against Kamil Majchrzak he had 1/8 break points against him and won 2/2 break points before Kamil retired. Also won a tough 1st round match against Darian King in the 1st round. Earned a special excemption to compete in Italy next week in one of the 2 final challenger tournaments. Roy currently is a college player at Baylor University and so rarely plays on the ATP tour.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems that no one is interested on this type of subjects. I thought that there would be people like me who would be interested in seeing young guns like Roy making it all the way to the finals. Guess l was wrong. Not sure l want to continue participating in this forum. Not blaming anyone on this.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
He's never come close to playing on the ATP Tour. He's been in Futures and some Challenger qualies. I saw him in Sarasota in 2017 trying to qualify. Big strong explosive lefty, the foundation of athleticism, power, pop are there, he could develop into a sort of lefty Jack Sock, huge forehand, good backhand, big serve. Good athlete. Nice personality too. Very impressive player. Hope he can navigate his way through the pro tennis jungle into the top 100.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
It seems that no one is interested on this type of subjects. I thought that there would be people like me who would be interested in seeing young guns like Roy making it all the way to the finals. Guess l was wrong. Not sure l want to continue participating in this forum. Not blaming anyone on this.
Sorry mate no one gives a crap about some random shit challenger featuring some guy outside the top 800

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sorry mate no one gives a crap about some random shit challenger featuring some guy outside the top 800
That's not true. I used to follow more College tennis in the US, especially UCLA. A bunch of good players came out of the college system, including Isner, Anderson, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for contributing. Also it is Saturday night, can’t expect many people to write unless it is on a major topic. I’m also a Fed fan and am from Switzerland. Aller Roger!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Good week from him. First time I saw his name, though and I thought that I know every name from top1000.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
He is a decent player, big lefty serve, his forehand is pretty good, but he was very lucky with the draw here. Klahn should beat him in straight sets.
The thing that impressed me the most was his attitude. He also got a SE spot in Andria CH for the next week.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
All that after 30 minutes of waiting? :)

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Sorry but a random 800th ranked challenger guy is not interesting unless he’s 15 or 16. since this guy is already 20 he’ll probably never make in on the ATP tour...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Oddly, I've been at this tournament four times this week (I missed going today for the semis) and I have yet to watch Roy Smith. The first couple of days I didn't make it to his court because I didn't care to go sit and watch a match with some mug I had never heard of. I actually didn't even know what this guy looked like until the QF when I could see a glimpse of him from a few courts down while I was watching a different match. I just kept assuming he was a nobody and that he would lose each time. Funny, I think I have probably been at this tournament for more hours than anybody except the referees and I have yet to watch this mug play a point. I'm going to the Final tomorrow so if I see anything interesting about him I will report back here.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Can't even remember the last time a total noname outsider reached a Challenger final. Herculean performance by Smith, this is huge. Guys like Kozlov and Escobedo have not even come close to winning a Challenger this year.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
If he should win the final, he'd be the lowest ranked winner (since 2000):
Code:
[B]LOWEST-RANKED WINNERS (since 2000)[/B]
(1) No. 848 Petr Luxa – Istanbul 2002
(2) No. 762 Max Purcell – Gimcheon 2016
(3) No. 762 Gaston Gaudio – Tunis 2009
(4) No. 760 Yong-Kyu Lim – Busan 2010
(5) No. 745 John Isner – Lexington 2007
(6) No. 721 Blake Mott – Launceston 2016

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Sorry but a random 800th ranked challenger guy is not interesting unless he’s 15 or 16. since this guy is already 20 he’ll probably never make in on the ATP tour...
Just because he's 20 doesn't mean you should give up on him. As was shown this season, some players are late bloomers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts