Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Interesting stat...

Tursunov and Dimitrov have laughable draws, so they'll probably fix this stat. Bulgarian has Karlovic, Brands and Anderson in first 3 rounds before facing Ferrer, so he'll probably end up with 15/15 after this RG. Russian has Starace and Querrey in first 2 rounds, before Federer, so he should finish with 38/38.

Fognini also doesn't have such a bad draw with Beck, Belluci and Monfils (who's so inconsistent), before Wawrinka. He has chances for 24/24.

Gulbis and Seppi have a horrible record and Pospisil is out of form, so they'll still keep it negative after this Slam.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
wait until matosevic is seeded :hearts:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Interesting stat...

Tursunov and Dimitrov have laughable draws, so they'll probably fix this stat. Bulgarian has Karlovic, Brands and Anderson in first 3 rounds before facing Ferrer, so he'll probably end up with 15/15 after this RG. Russian has Starace and Querrey in first 2 rounds, before Federer, so he should finish with 38/38.
Tursunov ain't fixing anything—Starace and Querrey are nightmare match-ups for him.
Mitya' stats got derailed because he kept showing up at slams while being injured just to collect 1R paychecks in 2009-2010 (9 1R losses in a row). He was 30-19 at slams prior to 2009, 6-18 since then.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Dimitrov :eek:

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Strong clay era

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Is this even unusual? There must be tons of players with negative W/L records in the top 100. Players who are consistently in the top 32 for years will have positive records, but of course several top 32 players spend more time around position 40-80 and only occasionally find themselves in the top 32 after a good stretch. There are also young players with poor records who have recently improved and made the top 32.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Is this even unusual? There must be tons of players with negative W/L records in the top 100. Players who are consistently in the top 32 for years will have positive records, but of course several top 32 players spend more time around position 40-80 and only occasionally find themselves in the top 32 after a good stretch. There are also young players with poor records who have recently improved and made the top 32.
I have a strong feeling this is not unusual at all, but not the numbers to back it up.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
I made the numbers for the AO 2014 and we have 8 players with negative record

Code:
Pospisil	2	5	29%
Dimitrov	8	13	38%
Gulbis		19	25	43%
Paire		10	13	43%
Dodig		12	15	44%
Fognini		18	22	45%
Seppi		30	35	46%
Tursunov	35	36	49%
A lot of players have negative records in Slam, for example only 280 players since the start of the Open Era have at least 50% with more than 15 matches Source

EDIT: For the US Open we also have 8 players Fognini, Seppi, Paire, Dimitrov, Monaco, Gulbis, Benneteau and Tursunov

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I mean, if one wanna talk about weak era take a look at WTA where No.4 ranked player has a negative W/L record at Grand Slams.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I mean, if one wanna talk about weak era take a look at WTA where No.4 ranked player has a negative W/L record at Grand Slams.
Or maybe it's because of the incredible depth of the WTA :)

I know you're joking - I was just expanding to show how such numbers can not show in favour or against the strength of the field because, simply, no matter how good or bad the two players on court one has to win and one has to lose.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is something normal. You have to remember that at each slam there are 64 people with a negative record, 32 with a 1-1 record and only 32 with a positive record.

·
23,063 Posts
TBF World #4 (and Dimitrov for the guys) are just recently being considered as Top Players and in one year there are only 4 Slams so it would be hard to outnumber the win % quickly after deficits in the past inexperienced years -- they could "fix" their numbers by just going deep on most of them, so I agree some of these numbers don't mean much if some of the seeded players are newbies in the seeded scene.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts