Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, could've been 7 if Amer's albe to convert BP chances, but what the hell

Statistically, it's interesting. I wonder if you guys know
- when was the last ATP level tournament with so many players from one country in quarters, and
- is 6 out of 8 a record or not

I would be grateful for any answers :wavey:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Personally I'd rate 4 Argentines in the semis of TMS Hamburg 2003 a more worthy effort.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The reason is : Delray Bitch is s mug tournament with probably a mug as winner in the person of James Flake

Reactions: Nathaliia

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Blake should not play this event

Looks not smart. Focus on Master and GS, that's what He support to do, He is 28 years old.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Valencia 2005 : 6 Spanish in 1/4, 3 in 1/2, Andreev winner
Valencia 2004 : 6 spanish in 1/4, 4 in 1/2, Verdasco winner

Before 90's you should find the same or better maybe every two weeks, with americans. But times change and now we have forgotten how much they were dominant.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
ATP tournament:
6 americans, Nishikori and Kunytsyn in quaters.... haha

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
There were 14 Americans in the main draw, so that isn't a huge surprise.

There were also 6 Americans in the QF of Memphis'03 (Roddick, Ginepri, Spadea, Fish, Dent, Vahaly). Actually the two players that weren't Americans in the QF (Voltchkov and Labadze) defeated American players in the second round (Morrison, Blake).

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
That's good news for American tennis when you consider that only three Americans have won Delray in the 15 previous years of the tournament, the last coming when Jan-Michael Gambill won in 2003.

This is also the first ATP tournament since 2003 that six Americans made it into the quarterfinals. :)

Americans fill up today's quarters
Blake, Querrey, Spadea among six to advance

DELRAY BEACH - The Delray Beach International Tennis Championship has taken on a distinct American flavor.

Six Americans stormed into the quarterfinals today, evidenced by a draw sheet with first names Robby, Bobby, Mardy, James, Sam and Vincent.

"It's a great thing. Maybe eventually we'll get Sports Illustrated or somebody to write that American tennis is not dying and that we're alive and well. We're Davis Cup champions and now we're having a good week here and hopefully we'll have someone raising the cup at the end of the week, too," said No. 1 seed James Blake after beating Paul Capdeville 6-1, 6-4 Thursday.

"It's good for American tennis," said Sam Querrey, 20, the youngest of the Americans but possibly the one with the brightest future.

"It's good to reconfirm the presence of American tennis and hopefully it is blooming into something bigger and better," said veteran Vincent Spadea, 33, who faces Querrey today.

Querrey turned pro in 2006 after graduating from high school and came into the tournament ranked No. 62 and seeded at No. 3.

A lean 6 feet 6, Querrey has a booming serve that has many likening him to Andy Roddick, America's top-ranked player who is not in the field at the Delray Beach Tennis Center.

"I feel like I am making progress," said Querrey after outlasting Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.

Spadea, the No. 6 seed, grew up in Boca Raton and is playing in his record 11th ITC, a tournament he has never won but where he has made it to the semifinals the past three years.

Spadea, who downed Gilles Muller 7-5, 4-6, 6-3, turned pro in 1993 when Querrey was 6, and reached a career-high ranking of 19 in 1999 and 2004, and came into the ITC ranked 73.

Spadea and Querrey are meeting for the third time, having split their first two matches, both played in 2006.

"He is always a dangerous player. It will be a tough match," Spadea said. "I will use what I have learned in the past to try and fend off his serve and use some new things to try and beat him."

Two of the four quarterfinals pit American vs. American, while Blake faces Russian Igor Kunitsyn, who defeated d. Max Mirnyi 7-6 (4), 6-3, and Bobby Reynolds plays Japan's Kei Nishikori.

Climbing back

The Robby Ginepri and Mardy Fish quarterfinal features two Americans trying to climb back into the top 20 after recent struggles.

Ginepri, 25, made it to No. 15 in 2006, but came into the ITC at 169, and Fish reached No. 18 in 2004 and is No. 77.

"I am extremely pumped that I got through this match," said Ginepri, who beat Michael Russell 7-5, 4-6, 6-2.

"It's a great opportunity for Robbie and myself to get back on track a little bit," said Fish, 26, who beat Ivan Navarro 2-6, 7-5, 6-3.

Smashing success

On the day after Donald Young threw his racket out of the stadium, Fish smashed his to draw a penalty point, but said it was worth it.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," Fish said. "I was trying to release every bit of frustration."

Fish, up 4-2 and 30-love in the second set, lost four straight points and the game, touching off the destruction.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
And what? Nishikori will win it anyway.

Reactions: Voo de Mar

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Baby steps is what America needs before we get back on top.

We have the resources..we just aren't using them right.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
With the exception of Querrey, the others are not exactly new blood. (Blake, Ginepri, Fish, Spadea, Reynolds) :help: :lol: We need our younger players to start getting results, but Nishikori has really been the youngster to watch in Delray Beach.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts