(1)(WC)Jarkko Nieminen(FIN) def. Arvind Parmar(GBR) 7-5,3-6,6-1
(WC)Kim Tiilikainen(FIN) def. (Q)Marcello Craca(GER) 6-4,6-2
Stefano Pescosolido(ITA) def. (WC)Andrei Cherkasov(RUS) 6-3,7-6
Yuri Schukin(RUS) def. (5)Ivo Heuberger(SUI) 6-2,6-1

(4)Mario Ancic(CRO) def. Alexander Peya(AUT) 6-4,6-1:D
Andreas Vinciguerra(SWE) def. Tuomas Ketola(FIN) 6-2,6-4
Tomas Zib(CZE) def. Jakub Herm-Zahlava(GER) 7-5,6-4
(Q)Robin Vik(CZE) def. (LL)Boris Pashanski(Yug) 6-3,6-2

Michael Tabara(CZE) def. (7)Karol Beck(SVK) 6-4,5-2 ret.
George Bastl(SUI) def. Jan Hajek(CZE) 6-2,6-2
Ivo Karlovic(CRO) def. Jan Hernych(CZE) 6-3,6-7,6-3:D
(3)Marc Rosset(SUI) def. (Q)Martin Rammal(FIN) 6-3,6-1

(LL)Lars Uebel(GER) def. (WC)Vladimir Melnikov(RUS) 6-3,6-1
Bjorn Phau(GER) vs. Cristiano Caratti(ITA)
Lovro Zovko(CRO) def. Jiri Vanek(CZE) 7-5,6-1:D
(2)Dick Norman(BEL) vs. Radoslav Lukaev(BUL) 6-4,3-6,7-5

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
First Round
(1)Ashley Fisher/Stephen Huss (AUS) vs Jan Hajek/Robin Vik (CZE)
Mario Ancic/Lovro Zovko (CRO) vs Ivo Karlovic/Steven Randjelovic (CRO/AUS)
(4)Tuomas Ketola/Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) vs Michal Tabara/Tomas Zib (CZE)
Cristiano Caratti/Yuri Schukin (ITA/RUS) vs (WC)Niklas Bucht/Juho Paukku (FIN)
Karol Beck/Andreas Vinciguerra (CZE/SWE) vs Jakub Herm-Zahlava/Jan Hernych (GER/CZE)
(3)Yves Allegro/Karsten Braasch (SUI/GER) vs (WC)Andrei Cherkasov/Pavel Ivanov (RUS)
Alexander Peya/Bjorn Phau (AUT/GER) vs (WC)Janne Ojala/Kim Tiilikainen (FIN)
(2)Aleksandar Kitinov/Jim Thomas (MKD/USA) vs Jonathan Erlich/Stefano Pescosolido (ISR/ITA)

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone knew why Jarkko was playing here? I know that the last one he won last year and promised he'd return to defend his title. Similar situation? Playing for the home crowd (since he's also playing doubles with Tuomas Ketola)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Good luck to Jarkko, Ivo, Yuri, Andreas, George, Marc, Bjorn, and Dick!!!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
VOVA :fiery: he must have done better

He was supposed to play doubles with Elgin, are they in the draw?

·
Registered
162 Posts
TennisHack said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew why Jarkko was playing here? I know that the last one he won last year and promised he'd return to defend his title. Similar situation? Playing for the home crowd (since he's also playing doubles with Tuomas Ketola)?

Thanks!
Nope. Not same situation. He did play in this last year too. Lost in the 1st round then. And went to Stockholm qualifications instead...

Last tournament of the year and in front of homecrowd. Who wouldn´t like to finish season in similar situation ?

He had complete off from tennis. Was in Lapland skiing for whole last week. Didn´t had racket with him. Said that he couldn´t remember when was last time that he hadn´t touch racket for a week.

Lost in the doubles to Tabara-Zib 3-6 6-3 6-4 so can now concentrate on beating Parmar to whome he lost ,in his words worst match that he has played this season, in June.

Useless homepage of the tournament is at http://www.tennishedman.fi/ipp/

I don´t know when they update it. Clearly not very often. As they don´ t have todays (Wednesdays it is 1am in here) order of play in there yet :fiery: And it is only in finnish.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
First Round
(1)Ashley Fisher/Stephen Huss (AUS) d. Jan Hajek/Robin Vik (CZE) 6-1 4-6 6-4
Mario Ancic/Lovro Zovko (CRO) d. Ivo Karlovic/Steven Randjelovic (CRO/AUS) 6-4 3-6 6-3
Michal Tabara/Tomas Zib (CZE) d. (4)Tuomas Ketola/Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) 3-6 6-3 6-4
Cristiano Caratti/Yuri Schukin (ITA/RUS) d. (WC)Niklas Bucht/Juho Paukku (FIN) 6-2 6-1
Karol Beck/Andreas Vinciguerra (CZE/SWE) d. Jakub Herm-Zahlava/Jan Hernych (GER/CZE) 6-2 6-1
(3)Yves Allegro/Karsten Braasch (SUI/GER) vs (WC)Andrei Cherkasov/Pavel Ivanov (RUS)
Alexander Peya/Bjorn Phau (AUT/GER) d. (WC)Janne Ojala/Kim Tiilikainen (FIN) 6-3 6-0
(2)Aleksandar Kitinov/Jim Thomas (MKD/USA) vs Jonathan Erlich/Stefano Pescosolido (ISR/ITA)

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
---2nd Round---

(1)(WC)Jarkko Nieminen(FIN) def. (WC)Kim Tiilikainen(FIN) 6-1,6-1
Stefano Pescosolido(ITA) def. Yuri Schukin(RUS) 6-2,6-3
Andreas Vinciguerra(SWE) def. (4)Mario Ancic(CRO) 7-6,7-6:(
Tomas Zib(CZE) def. (Q)Robin Vik(CZE) 6-4,6-3

Michael Tabara(CZE) def. George Bastl(SUI) 6-4,6-2
(3)Marc Rosset(SUI) def. Ivo Karlovic(CRO) 6-4,6-7,6-4:sad: :(
Bjorn Phau(GER) def. (LL)Lars Uebel(GER) 6-4,6-7,6-2
Lovro Zovko(CRO) def. (2)Dick Norman(BEL) 6-3,6-4:D

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
korben said:
Nope. Not same situation. He did play in this last year too. Lost in the 1st round then. And went to Stockholm qualifications instead...

Last tournament of the year and in front of homecrowd. Who wouldn´t like to finish season in similar situation ?

He had complete off from tennis. Was in Lapland skiing for whole last week. Didn´t had racket with him. Said that he couldn´t remember when was last time that he hadn´t touch racket for a week.

Lost in the doubles to Tabara-Zib 3-6 6-3 6-4 so can now concentrate on beating Parmar to whome he lost ,in his words worst match that he has played this season, in June.
Thanks, korben! :) I figured it had something to do with wanting to play in front of the home crowd. He's quite nice to do that :)

Seems to have dusted himself off quite well for having a week's vacation before playing again ;) even if it was 3 sets. Avenging losses can feel so great.

Also, thanks for the link, though I don't understand a word of Finnish :( Guess it's not too hard to follow scores, though!

·
Registered
162 Posts
No problem, TennisHack.

Jarkkos match was televised in an hour roundup. Twisted his ankle in the first set when leading 5-3 40-0 on Parmar serve.
Lost that point and next four. Had it tightly packed in the exchange break. It did look to limit his movement a bit in next two-three games. But was moving normally in second and third.
Should be ok today. Had it on ice in press conference.

Looked bit rusty in first and second. Did had more winners than ufes. In third played at own level and that was more than enough.

Don´t know for sure how much the Tali tenniscenter capazity is. But it looked to be sold out. Maybe about 1000 noisy fans. That should lift doupts of this tournaments future.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Oh no! :( I hope he's okay. That's definitely not the way to end the year, twisting an ankle :(

He looked rusty, yet still had more winners than unforced errors? Oh, how could you not like that? :) And a sold-out crowd to cheer him on!! I like the Finnish fans, they have spunk ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts