Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. He needs to get a sports psychologist. There is nothing wrong with getting a little help upstairs if you need it and I am convinced he does. He is losing the most important matches in his career too often and winning everything else. There is a mental block somewhere and needs to figure out why. He can't keep losing these Slam Finals. 8-8 is a good record for any other player but not for someone of Novak's talent. He also needs help mentally with dealing with mob like crowds, such as yesterday, who cheer against him the entire match. This really gets under his skin and he will never achieve his full potential if he gets so rattled by unfavorable crowds.

2. He needs to gain about 10-15 lbs immediately. I can't ignore how frail and thin he looked this tournament and he was much more chiseled and stronger in 2011. He is just too thin and you need more strength endurance to last 2 weeks in these grueling Slams such as the French Open. He needs to get back to his 2011 weight and do some upper body strength exercises. It will help tremendously when dealing with the onslaught he received yesterday.

3. He needs to stop exhibiting negative behavior on court. He kept looking at his box yesterday and throwing his arms up in the air and that is a no no. He was feeding Stan's confidence the more agitated he got because Stan knew he wasn't comfortable with his game and started to zone in on that. He has to show positive emotion in matches like that to show his opponent, I'm gonna fight you for this. The outbursts and negative body language has got to be eliminated immediately.

4. He must dissect and study Stan's game so that this never happens again in an important match such as this. He was standing so far back yesterday almost the entire match and refusing to step in on that baseline and take balls on the rise and counter attack. I was disgusted with his passivity and his acceptance to be bossed around on that court. Stan redlined because he allowed it. Stan was cautious for the first set and a half because he was waiting for the real Novak Djokovic to show up and when he didn't, he took charge and ran away with it. His passive approach was feeding Stan's confidence for the last 3 sets. Very poor decision from Novak not to take more risks in shotmaking and lose trying rather than trying not to lose.

5. He has got to stop putting so much pressure on himself. You can't focus on the winning and losing but rather on playing the best of your ability in the most important moments. He can't allow the media and commentators to add unnecessary pressure in these big moments and just focus on his game and letting the rest fall into place. He was tense for the entire match yesterday and never felt comfortable on that court. I could feel the pressure weighing on his shoulders through my tv screen. Just trust your game and let it flow.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
i think he needs to come more relax to next year FO, understand its not the end of the world and it shouldnt be his focus, remove pressure and he will feel more free to play and win.

sports psychologist is a good idea bc being 8/8 is not good, its 50%

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
1. He needs to get a sports psychologist. There is nothing wrong with getting a little help upstairs if you need it and I am convinced he does. He is losing the most important matches in his career too often and winning everything else. There is a mental block somewhere and needs to figure out why. He can't keep losing these Slam Finals. 8-8 is a good record for any other player but not for someone of Novak's talent. He also needs help mentally with dealing with mob like crowds, such as yesterday, who cheer against him the entire match. This really gets under his skin and he will never achieve his full potential if he gets so rattled by unfavorable crowds.

2. He needs to gain about 15-20 lbs immediately. I can't ignore how frail and thin he looked this tournament and he was much more chiseled and stronger in 2011. He is just too thin and you need more strength endurance to last 2 weeks in these grueling Slams such as the French Open. He needs to get back to his 2011 weight and do some upper body strength exercises. It will help tremendously when dealing with the onslaught he received yesterday.

3. He needs to stop exhibiting negative behavior on court. He kept looking at his box yesterday and throwing his arms up in the air and that is a no no. He was feeding Stan's confidence the more agitated he got because Stan knew he wasn't comfortable with his game and started to zone in on that. He has to show positive emotion in matches like that to show his opponent, I'm gonna fight you for this. The outbursts and negative body language has got to be eliminated immediately.

4. He must dissect and study Stan's game so that this never happens again in an important match such as this. He was standing so far back yesterday almost the entire match and refusing to step in on that baseline and take balls on the rise and counter attack. I was disgusted with his passivity and his acceptance to be bossed around on that court. Stan redlined because he allowed it. Stan was cautious for the first set and a half because he was waiting for the real Novak Djokovic to show up and when he didn't, he took charge and ran away with it. His passive approach was feeding Stan's confidence for the last 3 sets. Very poor decision from Novak not to take more risks in shotmaking and lose trying rather than trying not to lose.

5. He has got to stop putting so much pressure on himself. You can't focus on the winning and losing but rather on playing the best of your ability in the most important moments. He can't allow the media and commentators to add unnecessary pressure in these big moments and just focus on his game and letting the rest fall into place. He was tense for the entire match yesterday and never felt comfortable on that court. I could feel the pressure weighing on his shoulders through my tv screen. Just trust your game and let it flow.
1. Yes.
2. No. Please No1e don't do this. That would ruin and mess up his game completely.
3. Easier said than done. I don't think it really matters actually.
4. Yes he needs to be more aggressive I agree - He sometimes just gets into these silly passive periods which do not help. He needs to play like 5th set vs Murray yesterday. However dissecting Stan's game is not really relevant. This was an unfortunate outlier helped by favorable draw and schedule. This Stan will never show up again. He is still 16-4 against him i.e. he knows how to play him, but not yesterday.
5. YES! This is on the mark. He won much more than ever imagined at the begging of his career. He is already all times great up there with Fedeer, Borg, Sampras, Laver, Nadal, Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Aggasi ... Winning any more is just an icing on a cake. He should embrace that philosophy and go into every tournament with no pressure at all.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1. Yes.
2. No. Please No1e don't do this. That would ruin and mess up his game completely.
3. Easier said than done. I don't think it really matters actually.
4. Yes he needs to be more aggressive I agree - sometimes just get into these silly passive periods with do not help. He needs to play like 5th set vs Murray yesterday. However dissecting Stan's game was not really relevant. This was an unfortunate outlier helped by favorable draw and schedule. This Stan will never show up again. He is still 16-4 against him i.e. he knows how to play him, but now yesterday.
5. YES! This is on the mark. He won much more than ever imagined at the begging of his career. He is already all times great up there with Fedeer, Borg, Sampras, Laver, Nadal, Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Aggasi ... Winning any more is just an icing on a cake. He should embrace that philosophy and go into every tournament with no pressure at all.

Novak needs a little more weight on him. He is too thin and if he can get to his 2011 weight, he will be a beast again. Negative behavior actually matters a lot. Think back to the Murray match and when he began to get confidence to force a 4th set. It was when Novak was having outbursts and showing negative emotion. Andy saw that and got confidence he could force another set because Novak was rattled. This is very important in tennis. Another thing is Stan probably will never play like this again for rest of his career but Novak needs to be ready for it if it does. Another guy could redline on him in an important match one day and he needs to know how to deal with this.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Number 4 is probably the most ridiculous.

Why? Before yesterday, the last 4 of their Slam matches were 5 sets. He needs to study his game better to regain an edge.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
His best strength is because he is light, quick, agile and packs some amazing power for his weight. Hmm..not sure whether he wants to add weight at this stage of career. Its his success formula. Yeah it can be exposed by real power. As for fitness he lost to wawrinka yesterday. True that he gets tired long term when the opponent hit a heavy ball. Nadull has been doing it, adding weight to racquet.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Agreed, except for the weight issue. He does look awfully thin, but I don't think gaining weight could help him. Being overbuilt in tennis is an invitation to injuries. He does need to study Stan's game to avoid any more embarrassing losses to a player clearly not at his level.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
This is what he needs to take from it, the respect he gets as a true champion, no matter if he came second.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
U feel as if it is 2 vs 1. Fed feed the ideas whereas Stan used the power.

Quite possible. I wouldn't be surprised at all honestly if Fed gave him advice for the final.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Lesson 6: Don't think you have the trophy in hand because you beat the best player on clay. Remember, this was only a quarterfinal, and you didn't win anything yet. You are headed for a huge disappointment, and that is exactly what happened.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what he needs to take from it, the respect he gets as a true champion, no matter if he came second.

Honestly, I found it patronizing. Oh we cheered LOUDLY against you the entire match but awww so sorry to see you lose. Here is a little applause so you will feel better. Talk about insult to injury.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

This is how real tennis fans in the real world treat real great champions. Not like all the petty pathetic butthurt haters here.

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
1. Yes, if he already has one, please get a better one.
2. Yay, very debatable at this point. He should bulk up a bit, though not gaining too much weight.
3. Yes, that is coupled with 1. point.
4. Yes, also study his other most 2 difficult matchups: Murray+Nishikori.
5. Yes.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I don't know about the other points, but why should he only study Wawrinka's game plan and why not his opponent on that day in general or is that what you meant. :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts