Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who Could Win Wimbledon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Quarterfinals of Wimbledon would showcase 5 maiden Quarterfinalists this year in the men's side:

Stan Wawrinka
Milos Raonic
Grigor Dimitrov
Marin Cilic
Nick Kyrgios

Last time it happened was 2002 (+1):
Lleyton Hewitt
Nicolas Lapentti
Xavier Malisse
David Nalbandian
Andre Sa
Sjeng Schalken

Interesting that three of them are Young Guns, two of which are trying to getting their spots now on the elite Top 10 and one is an upcoming big star. Two are the so called underachievers before, and quite surprising that this would be Cilic's first QF on Wimbledon knowing how good he is on Grass. The other three QFers are the rest of the remaining Big Four, all have won the title. What is more interesting is that Dimitrov and Wawrinka won against their respective opponents last time they met, while Cilic could be a big danger against Djokovic here (if Steps could do it I don't see why not Cilic can't). Congrats to them and I hope for a good QF run!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
regardless of the outcome I see this as a big big positive for tennis :)

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Very good stuff, in my opinion.

We need variety in results after that long Fedal duopoly. Esatblishment of Top players isn't bad either, but we just need more upsets from time to time. And 2014 looks like a good season in that regard.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
We're already guaranteed a maiden semifinalist too. Will be interesting to see if we can get more.

I don't believe in either to win, though.

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
Thank you for bringing up the memories from that Hewitt - Schalken match.

:hysteric:

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean it is not like they came out of nowhere: Stan is really improved in the grass department and seemingly getting to the net more (surprised that his profile on Wimbledon said he was a serve and volleyer when he doesn't do much of it), Cilic coming back from the ban and appointed a new coach, Raonic putting himself into good consistency, Dimitrov winning Queen's Club against a very good grasscourter while Kyrgios won a Challenger and the rest is history as you know it. I hope they give them their all, because I feel there might be a chance for one more upset in the cards. Should be fun.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Everyone on that list barring Kyrgios is an established Top 20 player, Dimitrov being the youngest and 23 y.o is not necessarily a young gun.
Had Kyrgios lost to Nadal yesterday, we would have pretty much the same old shit with Top 5 present in the QF.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everyone on that list barring Kyrgios is an established Top 20 player, Dimitrov being the youngest and 23 y.o is not necessarily a young gun.
Had Kyrgios lost to Nadal yesterday, we would have pretty much the same old shit with Top 5 present in the QF.
23 is really a young gun in this gen, maybe next year that label would be removed, but for now seeing the average age of the Top 100 it seems to be "young". I agree about that latter part but now you see one of the semis now be guaranteed with a maiden one too. What is surprising here, is that Cilic is having his 1st QF here considering his abilities, and also Stan who is said to be a "grass mug", now both fulfilling good potential. I would've expected say Berdych or Ferrer there IMO (although the latter have been declining lately).

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump.

So, we have seen Stan win a Set against Federer, breaking him (a first for the tournament this year for Fed). Cilic had a 2 Sets to 1 lead against Djokovic, but didn't manage to capitalize. Meanwhile, good news for the youngsters, as Dimitrov won against Murray while Raonic prevailed in the battle of the youngsters against Kyrgios. Now, Dimitrov faces Djokovic and Raonic faces Federer in their maiden Slam Semifinal and would at least try to prove their worth as the next champions of tennis.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
These so called new guys are already 23-24 years old LOL.Nadal and Djokovic were dominating at their age winning Slams and holding world number 1.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
These so called new guys are already 23-24 years old LOL.Nadal and Djokovic were dominating at their age winning Slams and holding world number 1.
So what? Maybe they'll snatch 1-2 slams.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Nobody is expecting this generation to produce a new Djokovic, let alone a Federer or Nadal. If is still interesting to see what they can achieve. They are five years younger than Wawrinka was when he won his slam.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
So what? Maybe they'll snatch 1-2 slams.
Exactly.They are not some players who will be all time greats.They have arrived a while back and no great results

Nobody is expecting this generation to produce a new Djokovic, let alone a Federer or Nadal. If is still interesting to see what they can achieve. They are five years younger than Wawrinka was when he won his slam.
true but Wawrinka was a fluke

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Exactly.They are not some players who will be all time greats.They have arrived a while back and no great results
You're not making any sense. That isn't exactly news, but thought I'd point it out anyway. Winning a couple of slams or just one is between your all-time great and nada categories and it's perfectly legitimate. BTW, Djokovic is not an all-time great. Second tier, honey.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You're not making any sense. That isn't exactly news, but thought I'd point it out anyway. Winning a couple of slams or just one is between your all-time great and nada categories and it's perfectly legitimate. BTW, Djokovic is not an all-time great. Second tier, honey.
if Djokovic isn't an all time great neither is Becker,Edberg,Wilander ect.....So your logic is bad

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
if Djokovic isn't an all time great neither is Becker,Edberg,Wilander ect.....So your logic is bad
Excatly, they are second tier.

I'll repeat, winning one or few slams is perfectly legitimate. You don't seem to comprehend it. You insist they'll amount to nothing if they haven't won one by 23-24 and even when they do, you'll dub it a fluke. It's variation of MTF nonsense lingo I guess.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
This. I'll also add that because we are at a golden generation with the likes of the big 4 around, it was always going to be extra difficult to win a tournament let alone a slam until they started to reach the peak of their game.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts