Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching full match replay of the 2012 WTF finals.
I have to be honest ... I completely forgot that Roger had two set points and was up 40-15 (*5-4), before Novak took 4 consecutive points to break him (precisely the same scenario as at Wimby 2019)

Great match with excellent quality. I really enjoyed it a lot even though it was only a replay :)

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
I remember Roger served for the set but forgot he reached 40-15, funny that again he lost the set 7-5 just like at the US Open twice in a row.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Wow thanks for this OP. Never saw this because who cares for Mickey Mouse Tour Finals

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Incredible.

It's like Novak knows Fed's going to crumble on important points, so he just hangs on then wins.
you just know that Nole is strutting around the locker room at these big tournaments in the nude with his big balls flopping around slapping people in the face while Rogie is changing in the corner under a towel.

it’s such a shame that for all his natural talent Rogie was born with such shriveled up balls...

·
Registered
11,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm watching full match replay of the 2012 WTF finals.
I have to be honest ... I completely forgot that Roger had two set points and was up 40-15 (*5-4), before Novak took 4 consecutive points to break him (precisely the same scenario as at Wimby 2019)

Great match with excellent quality. I really enjoyed it a lot even though it was only a replay :)
I remember Roger served for the set but forgot he reached 40-15, funny that again he lost the set 7-5 just like at the US Open twice in a row.
Yeap ... with one difference that back at USO 2011 Roger managed to win a point (an ace) during Novak's comeback, while at 2012 WTF Finals and at Wimby 2019 Novak won 4 consecutive points after being down 40-15

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Federer has suffered his first loss to Djokovic in Canada'07 final because he was not able to win the first set, serving for the set at 6:5 40:0

He did return the favor the very next month in USO'07 final, though, where Djokovic has also squandered three consecutive set points being 40:0 up in the first set, including a couple of set points thereafter, as well as the set point in the second set.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Was randomly watching French open 2012 SF just now (also watched Fed v Delpo QF).

Federer was 3-0 up in second then 4-2 and had 0-30 on Nole's serve. Couldn't break but did at 4-4. Lost the set 7-5.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
There are about a million examples of players losing a game from 40-15, but I wouldn't expect the MTF experts, most of whom started watching tennis around 2016, to understand that.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Federer has suffered his first loss to Djokovic in Canada'07 final because he was not able to win the first set, serving for the set at 6:5 40:0
He lost from 40-0 up with 3 unforced errors being lazy in his placement.

That's where Federer's negativity comes into light, as he would rather go for broke and force his talent than do the work of placing himself correctly before executing his shots.

There's an element of gamble in his attitude, just like it existed with Pete with his serve.

The difference is Pete could deliver when it mattered most, while Fed often completely crumbled if the opposition was Top like Rafa or Nole.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
The difference is Pete could deliver when it mattered most, while Fed often completely crumbled if the opposition was Top like Rafa or Nole.
Federer could deliver even more at Sampras' age IMO, despite playing the full clay season and many finals against the clay goat & co., unlike Exgoatpras who would've used it just as a preparation for Wimbledon and was also not able to make as many AO finals & semis beforehand as Federer, consequentially being fresher both physically & mentally for the Wimb-USO-WTF part of the season.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Federer could deliver even more at Sampras' age IMO, despite playing the full clay season and many finals against the clay goat & co., unlike Exgoatpras who would've used it just as a preparation for Wimbledon and was also not able to make as many AO finals & semis beforehand as Federer, consequentially being fresher both physically & mentally for the Wimb-USO-WTF part of the season.
Pete had thalassemia minor, which affects physical performance: he couldn't spend 6 hours on the court and spill his guts like 99% of pros. And yet he moped the floor with everyone.

And he never squandered match points in slams, multiple times.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I remember WTF 2012 very well. Good quality indeed but absolutely infuriating to watch as a Federer fan how he gave up the advantage in both sets.

Montreal 2007 is easier to accept for sure given the result at the US Open immediately after that, but still the worst way possible to have a rising star get his first win against you.

French Open 2012 is not really worth talking about, Federer played inconsistently throughout and probably would have also lost to Tsonga had he converted one of his MP against Djokovic.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
French Open 2012 is not really worth talking about
In French Open 2012, Federer was already focus to his 7th Wimbledon and weeks record number one.(stop to 285 in 2010, Sampras 286).
After his good move since autumn 2011.
W Basel
W Bercy
W Masters Cup
W Rotterdam
W Dubaï
W Indian Wells
W Madrid

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Shame Djokovic did not have the mental strength yet to win US Open 2007, as he was the better player.
And yet he didn’t win a set... there is no guarantee that he would have won if he had closed the first set. It’s a ridiculous statement to make since there are ton of matches that Federer lost despite being the better player.

·
Registered
17,971 Posts
you just know that Nole is strutting around the locker room at these big tournaments in the nude with his big balls flopping around slapping people in the face while Rogie is changing in the corner under a towel.

it’s such a shame that for all his natural talent Rogie was born with such shriveled up balls...
With the exception of the bed, that's why Rogie has double twins, Nole only 2 separate children.

And yet he didn’t win a set... there is no guarantee that he would have won if he had closed the first set. It’s a ridiculous statement to make since there are ton of matches that Federer lost despite being the better player.
That was the most ridiculous example of choking in a recent slam final (last 14 years), so of course there is no guarantee for anything, but had he closed out the first set, he could have won the 2nd one by an increased 65% certainty, and being 2-0 up, he had been brimming with full confidence come 3rd set...

·
Banned
930 Posts
Shame Djokovic did not have the mental strength yet to win US Open 2007, as he was the better player.
Yes, such a golden opportunity missed there. Close match.

·
Registered
17,839 Posts

Lmao dude, cmon now

1 - 20 of 26 Posts