Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federer is probably going to have a retirement year in 2021, I mean we shouldn't count out 2022, but the man must have limits...

2011 was the year of Djokovic and in RG 2011 Federer was already called grandpa and Olderer.... people joked about Federer playing until he was in a wheel chair or playing till he was 40. Or said 35 was out of the picture.

People said he would never win a slam again, would fall into the top 100 and barely get past the R1 of a 250... always live in Nadals shadow and just became a footnote in tennis history...

2013 rolls around and the prophecy looks to be true. Looks older than ever and gets destroyed by Tommy Robredo in the most bizarre loss in a All Time Great's Career.....

But here we are with a 39/40 year old Federer...

The 40 year old player list is pretty small and includes mostly the guys from the 60's to 70s where wooden rackets , and slower gameplay and ball speed was prevalent.

Federer doesn't have the luxury of all grass courts and small wooden rackets, he will have to play against a motivated Djokovic and Nadal... in their prime 5 hours of running Next gen... and maybe some other next-gen guys who haven't shown up yet. Doesn't matter though, Federer at an advance age will figure out a way. Sure he is not going to be playing a 5 hour QF and winning it under the hot sun, or maybe even a 2 hour contest in R4 of Wimbledon against a motivated server...

But still, when many other guys hung up their racket 10 years ago , this man is still going. This will be the ultimate test of Federer's talents.

As it is quite possible that we could see a top 20
... or even top 10 40 year old player... who still has a chance to win a 500 or two.

This isn't necessarily a copy of Budaddi's thread.. but just to highlight that this was a running gag of a 40 year old Federer being in a wheelchair and still playing tennis... but he won't be in a wheel chair and will still be in contention to be at the top and maybe win some titles too... all before he hangs up the rackets and says good bye forever, to the professional game.

If you are going to mock and be an azz hat, I encourage you to find another thread. But give your thoughts regardless..

·
Premium Member
21,604 Posts
2011 was the year of Djokovic and in RG 2011 Federer was already called grandpa and Olderer.... people joked about Federer playing until he was in a wheel chair or playing till he was 40. Or said 35 was out of the picture.
He was called that since 2009 at least, maybe even 2008

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The funniest thing is Nadovic are already past retirement age themselves and nobody even mentions that!
Because Federer is still playing.

To me, Fedalovic are old players and although I admire what they're doing, I refuse to think their long-time domination is normal in a sport like tennis. Because of this it looks like Thiem is still a youngster but he will be 27 in a couple of months.

As for Federer, well, apart from the knee issue right now, I think the last 5, 6 years have shown his physical talent is at least of the same level as his technical talent.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Regarding the Big 3 in general, I remember all those discussions long ago where people who suggested they could all win 15+ slams were laughed out of the thread. Who knew most of us would end up eating humble pie in the end?

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Djokovic has the career trajectory and longevity of Jordan, LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo - real men and real athletes who were/are still the best in their sports. Federer has a career trajectory like a women's gymnast in that he was 26 when he got dethroned as the world's best player.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Federer is a great player. However, he is much closer to Murray since he turned 26 than Djokovic/Nadal.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Djokovic has the career trajectory and longevity of Jordan, LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo - real men and real athletes who were/are still the best in their sports. Federer has a career trajectory like a women's gymnast in that he was 26 when he got dethroned as the world's best player.
and yet he was the world number 1 at nearly 37 years old, won several slams long after his peak and has continued to be at the top of the game consistently going far in top tier tournaments for well over 15 years, all three of the Big Three are deserving of their status.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
You can't look at it that way. The sample is too small and his archenemy was injured. Federer, since he turned 26, is closer to Murray. Did Federer have his moments? Yes, but he was the third wheel.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Well Federer fans prematurely started talks of age and decline in order to mask the superiority of Nadal and Djokovic.

They started calling Fed old man in 2010 iirc.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Well Federer fans prematurely started talks of age and decline in order to mask the superiority of Nadal and Djokovic.

They started calling Fed old man in 2010 iirc.
Exactly. As a neutral, I will always consider Djokovic and Nadal as Federer's superiors. But you know, being the third greatest player ever is a huge accomplishment. Federer should be proud to be the third greatest player ever. It's his rabid fans who seem to be unable to handle it.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly. As a neutral, I will always consider Djokovic and Nadal as Federer's superiors. But you know, being the third greatest player ever is a huge accomplishment. Federer should be proud to be the third greatest player ever. It's his rabid fans who seem to be unable to handle it.
Please create a new topic if you want to discuss GOAT. I'm just respecting a 39 / 40 year old guy who is still playing. Why do you have to have a GOAT debate fetish

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Please create a new topic if you want to discuss GOAT. I'm just respecting a 39 / 40 year old guy who is still playing. Why do you have to have a GOAT debate fetish
I don't have a fetish. I love Federer and all of the Big 3. I wish Federer can play until 45 🙏 and the Big 3 era never ends.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have a fetish. I love Federer and all of the Big 3. I wish Federer can play until 45 🙏 and the Big 3 era never ends.
That's only so Nadal can increase the H2H when Federer comes out on crutches :censored:

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
That's only so Nadal can increase the H2H when Federer comes out on crutches :censored:
I wish for Zverev and Thiem to defeat Federer whenever they play him; I won't lie. However, I love watching Federer play. The way he plays tennis is so pretty. Ok, maybe not as beautiful as someone like Djokovic's playing style, but tennis is so much better with Federer and it will be a sad day when he retires. I dread that day, Kowchi. Just thinking about it makes me sad. I anticipate it happening in 2021, but let's hope I am wrong. 🙏

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish for Zverev and Thiem to defeat Federer whenever they play him; I won't lie. However, I love watching Federer play. The way he plays tennis is so pretty. Ok, maybe not as beautiful as someone like Djokovic's playing style, but tennis is so much better with Federer and it will be a sad day when he retires. I dread that day, Kowchi. Just thinking about it makes me sad. I anticipate it happening in 2021, but let's hope I am wrong. 🙏
From all your posting , I would never believe the bolded above to be a true statement

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
From all your posting , I would never believe the bolded above to be a true statement
I have made many posts wishing Federer to play for a long time and have said how much I appreciate him. I do not dislike Federer. I don't know why anyone would think I do. I love him and all of the Big 3. You know, I can be selfish and wish them all to retire just so my favourites - Zverev and Thiem - win slams. But would that make tennis better? NO. Tennis needs the Big 3. Without them, tennis would be so much less popular.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have made many posts wishing Federer to play for a long time and have said how much I appreciate him. I do not dislike Federer. I don't know why anyone would think I do. I love him and all of the Big 3. You know, I can be selfish and wish them all to retire just so my favourites - Zverev and Thiem - win slams. But would that make tennis better? NO. Tennis needs the Big 3. Without them, tennis would be so much less popular.
If only Thiem and Zverev had half the charisma of the Big Three :(...

Both guys have all the makings to do well gamewise, but neither of them will ever become an "Ambassador" as the Big three have. For example , Djokovic, Nadal or Federer could have a casual night out to dinner with Lebron James , Messi/Ronaldo , etc.

Same can't be said for this next group of guys....

We have to pray that someone will take the place of the Big three and give us the ability to continue to watch the sport.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
If only Thiem and Zverev had half the charisma of the Big Three :(...

Both guys have all the makings to do well gamewise, but neither of them will ever become an "Ambassador" as the Big three have. For example , Djokovic, Nadal or Federer could have a casual night out to dinner with Lebron James , Messi/Ronaldo , etc.

Same can't be said for this next group of guys....

We have to pray that someone will take the place of the Big three and give us the ability to continue to watch the sport.
Unfortunately, you are right. :( But I still love Zverev. For me, he is the most irreplaceable player out of my favourites. Although, I cannot quite pinpoint why I like Zverev. For instance, when I watch other players, like Djokovic or Federer play, I feel nothing. When I watch Zverev play, I feel something; I care. However, I do not understand why that is the case. It's definitely not because he's German. You know, I love Del Potro also and he's Argentinian. Gosh, I just don't know.

Anyway, let's pray. We need someone to take the mantle. 🙏 I hope that person can be Zverev, but he has a lot of work to do.

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, you are right. :( But I still love Zverev. For me, he is the most irreplaceable player out of my favourites. Although, I cannot quite pinpoint why I like Zverev. For instance, when I watch other players, like Djokovic or Federer play, I feel nothing. When I watch Zverev play, I feel something; I care. However, I do not understand why that is the case. It's definitely not because he's German. You know, I love Del Potro also and he's Argentinian. Gosh, I just don't know.

Anyway, let's pray. We need someone to take the mantle. 🙏 I hope that person can be Zverev, but he has a lot of work to do.
I think the problem is that all of NextGen thinks they have taken the mantle.... Djokovic, Federer , Nadal took the mantle by their actions and not words. NextGen guys are big talkers and have the talk... but not the walk...

Zverev needs someone to step in and help him be the player he should be. I remember making a thread in 2017 asking what is stopping Zverev from sweeping up slams in 2020 and beyond.... and now we are witnessing it. Lendl couldn't do the job , so who can???

1 - 20 of 33 Posts