1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R1: Becker def. Henry Pfister 4-6 6-3 6-2 6-4

R2: Becker def. Matt Anger 6-0 6-1 6-3

R3: Becker def. Nystrom 3-6 7-6 6-1 4-6 9-7

Nystrom was Top 10 at that time. Match was suspended and continued the next day.
In the 5th Nystrom served for the match twice. Becker broke back each time with fabulous passing shots.

R4: Becker def. Mayotte 6-3 4-6 6-7 7-6 6-2

Becker had a fall late in the 4th set. The year before he had suffered torn ankle ligaments in the 3rd round had to retire. This time he actually went to the net ready to shake Mayotte's hand (which Mayotte didn't see) but Becker's coach Günther Bosch shouted "It's nothing! Keep going!" from the stands so Becker played on and crushed Mayotte in the 5th.

QF: Becker def. Leconte 7-6 3-6 6-3 6-4

SF: Becker def. Jarryd 2-6 7-6 6-3 6-3

Nothing is working for Becker in the first two sets and Jarryd has set-point in the second set. Becker fights back to win the set but the match has to be suspended. The next day nothing works for Jarryd anymore and Becker wins easily.

F: Becker def. Curren 6-3 6-7 7-6 6-4

Becker dominates in the beginning but Curren fights back and wins 6 points in a row to win the 2nd set tie-break. He gets up a break in the 3rd set but Becker breaks back. He wastes 3 set-points and then almost a 6-0 lead in the tiebreak before finally winning it 7-4 (I think).
When serving out the match he double-faults twice but finally takes it with an unreturnable serve and history is made.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

·
Registered
78 Posts
This was being discussed today on espn
By Mike Dickson for the Daily Mail
‘I was on the baseline, desperate and in pain and going to limp towards the net to shake hands. Tim was on the baseline, too. I had badly twisted it, but in those seconds Tiriac and Bosch (Ion and Gunther, his manager and coach) started screaming, “Take a time out!”

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
This was being discussed today on espn
By Mike Dickson for the Daily Mail
‘I was on the baseline, desperate and in pain and going to limp towards the net to shake hands. Tim was on the baseline, too. I had badly twisted it, but in those seconds Tiriac and Bosch (Ion and Gunther, his manager and coach) started screaming, “Take a time out!”
It was something we had never seen before, a 17 year old underdog coming out of nowhere and Winning Wimbledon. And probably will never see again.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
It was something we had never seen before, a 17 year old underdog coming out of nowhere and Winning Wimbledon. And probably will never see again.
+ defending the title the very next year. He was awesome. Beautiful game.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
He wasnt completely out of nowhere, because week before Wimbledon he won Queens convincingly.
But everyone thought - this was a fluke and he beat only one top-10 player there, Pat Cash, managed to avoid Connors and Curren who lost early.

I remember, even after Wimby 1985 I was convinced : this was a fluke, we will never hear from him again. Well, I was wrong ...and so were millions of others who underestimated him.

Glorious times, and yes - they will never come back.

·
Registered
22,217 Posts
20th century grass court tennis :hearts:

Very impressed with how he backed it up in 1986, I lost a bet with my dad so I still remember it well :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts